cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Alcatel Go Flip 3 supported. I asked when I signed up and was told it would work.

jimdheil
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an Alcatel Go Flip 3 and was told when I signed up for Public it would work. Now my phone is not working and I have looked and do not see it on the list of compatible phones.

13 REPLIES 13

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jimdheil How is the phone ? When you got the phone was it unlocked ? Or was it locked to CHATR. What exactly did you have to do to get it working ? I am going to buy the exact same phone from Best Buy for my parents. 

20200716_144121.jpg

I saw your review 🙂

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jimdheil wrote:

I really hope you are right. I quite like the phone and will switch to ChatR if it doesn't work with Public.

1.  Restart your phone with the PM SIM card inserted and let it configure your new phone.

2.  Test your PM SIM card in another known working phone to determine whether it is your SIM card/PM configuration issues OR hardware issue.

Report your result.

jimdheil

I really hope you are right. I quite like the phone and will switch to ChatR if it doesn't work with Public.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jimdheil 

Alcatel Go Flip 3 (aka Smartflip)

It offered by Fido/Chatr/(may be Rogers) on Rogers network.  Telus/Bell are not offering it yet.

https://www.fido.ca/phones/alcatel-go-flip-3?colour=black&storage=4gb&tierType=Financing&flowType=na...

According to Fido page, it supports

• HSPA+/HSPA Bands 2/4/5
  • LTE Bands B2/4/5/7/12/17/13/66
  • GSM/EDGE Bands 850/900/1800/1900MHz

It should work work with PM

@jimdheil wrote:

I bought it from Best Buy here in Calgary, but it's listed as ChatR phone. The guy in the review said it was unlocked and worked fine with Public Mobile.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/chatr-alcatel-go-flip-3-black-prepaid/14518022
I can text from the phone and I have received one text back. I'm not sure if my other texts were received. Another text went to my old phone.

It's absolutely compatible then. Alcatel isn't going to have a phone sold in Canada at an official retailer that doesn't work on the Telus network. Also, Chatr/Rogers doesn't have any current models that don't support the type of 3g network that Public Mobile uses.

jimdheil

I bought it from Best Buy here in Calgary, but it's listed as ChatR phone. The guy in the review said it was unlocked and worked fine with Public Mobile.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/chatr-alcatel-go-flip-3-black-prepaid/14518022
I can text from the phone and I have received one text back. I'm not sure if my other texts were received. Another text went to my old phone.

tabi159w
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Oops! @Luddite Sorry for the misinformation! Thanks for letting me know

@Luddite wrote:

@tabi159w wrote:

It should work as it is compatible with these bands: 

• GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Does your phone have any service? Please describe what you can and can't do with it.

@tabi159w FYI: GSM means 2g network. PM operates only on 3g and 4g.

Fortunately this phone spec says UMTS: 2/4/5 of which 2/5 are PM's 3g network.

I was actually just about to say how that previous message doesn't provide any indication of this phone working at Public Mobile.

Customers still do have to be mindful that there could still be regional variants of advertised phone model names that support different types of networks.

@jimdheil 

When you say that you bought this from Best Buy, do you mean directly from Best Buy or from a third party seller. Authorized Canadian retailer will obviously be carrying a version of the phone that is idea for use in Canada.

@tabi159w wrote:

Does your phone have any service? Please describe what you can and can't do with it.

@tabi159w FYI: GSM means 2g network. PM operates only on 3g and 4g.

Fortunately this phone spec says UMTS: 2/4/5 of which 2/5 are PM's 3g network.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

tabi159w

Try rebooting your phone and resetting your network.

jimdheil

I bought it from Best Buy. The one reviewer on the site said it was an unlocked phone that has worked well on Public Mobile. No conclusion yet though. It's a really nice phone. I hope I don't have to switch carriers again. I was going to sign up for ChatR but the seller talked me into going with Public and said my phone would work.

tabi159w

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@jimdheil hi is it unlocked who was your previous provider, you may have to contact them to get it unlocked 

Need Help? Let's chat.