cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Alcatel Flip 3 Compatible ?

GusP
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is the Alcatel Go Flip 3 Compatible with Public Mobile ? 

I am looking at this one. It says CHATR on it but can it be unlocked to work with Public ?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/chatr-alcatel-go-flip-3-black-prepaid/14518022

One guy in the reviews says it works with Public and the other guy says it doesn't so im confused.

19 REPLIES 19

Bubba
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have to look into something like this for my mother. Its shocking how no one is making simple phones or simplifying smart phone for older and physically challenged people.

GusP

@computergeek541 The Chatr and Fido locations will definitely not sell it to me but if i go to Tbooth wireless or Wirelesswave they will. I talked to them over the phone and they said they can sell it to me. I just buy the device outright and I can unlock it if its locked and use it with any carrier.

@CFPartDeux 

He did manage to lose it but we found it the next day in the bushes by the bench at no frills where we were sitting the day before repacking our groceries onto our bikes.

@GusP wrote:

Thanks guys. I might buy it from Chatr or Fido themselves. Hopefully they will sell it to me even though I'm not looking for one of their plans. I just dont want to wait for Best Buy shipping.

I wouldn't go to a store to make this purchase. The Chatr or Fido locations may very well refuse to sell unless you activate a service. As for Best Buy, these phones are sometimes hidden and locked away requiring you to ask for it.  Waiting for shipping is a lot less hassle if you're not in a hurry.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@maximum_gato wrote:

My phone has gone thru some abuse over the years and like a Timex it takes a licking and keeps on ticking! Its even survived a couple of months as the bfs phone who has an average phone survivability rate of about 3 months and cracked screen rate of a month.

LOL, I guess it's a good thing that he only had it for "a couple of months" then, given that "3 months" survivability rate! 🤣

@GusP 

The phone will not be locked to chatr as no phone can be sold locked to a carrier for over 2 1/2 years now it is simply branded to that provider when selling a post paid plan and device subsidy to a customer.  I have an alcatel one touch i purchased in 2014 that is still going strong and was my sole daily use phone up until about a year ago.So dont waste any money on an extended warranty especially if you are using a credit card with purchase protection that will extend the warranty by an extra year. My phone has gone thru some abuse over the years and like a Timex it takes a licking and keeps on ticking! Its even survived a couple of months as the bfs phone who has an average phone survivability rate of about 3 months and cracked screen rate of a month.

GusP

@dabr No we don't have a London Drugs.

I'm going to Wirelesswave or Tbooth wireless and I'm buying it from there. I'll call Chatr for the unlock code.

@GusP wrote:

Thanks guys. I might buy it from Chatr or Fido themselves. Hopefully they will sell it to me even though I'm not looking for one of their plans. I just dont want to wait for Best Buy shipping.

@GusP  Note that phone is carrier branded and  labelled as prepaid so there is still a possibility that device is still locked to the specific carrier. If you are going to purchase from Chatr make sure the phone is not locked. Maybe bring your PM sim card with you and test it.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@GusP wrote:

@GusP   If you have a London Drugs close to you, try them as they sell the Go Flip 3 unlocked, although I'm not sure about their prices compared to the others.

GusP

@GusP  it should work since it has hspa bands 2 and 5. These are PMs frequencies.  Stay safe. 

Public Mobile 3G & 4G Frequencies.
3G Frequencies 850 MHz, Band 5 (UMTS/ HSPA).1900MHz, Band 2 (UMTS/ HSPA).

4G Frequencies 1700/ 2100 MHz AWS, Band 4 (LTE/ LTE Advanced).
                             700 MHz A/B/C/E, Band 12/13/17/29 (LTE/ LTE Advanced).

GusP

@geopublic Only the rogers side carries it. Fido and Chatr want 75$ for it full price. Best buy has it for cheaper. On Chatr's website it says this about the bands.

Bands
GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900
HSPA+/HSPA: Bands 2, 4, 5

It isint only GSM. It has HSPA+ and HSPA. I guess best buy made an error in the product details.

Are these bands compatible with Public ?

@GusP I based it on your link. If its this phone it has both-the required 3g and 4g LTE bands. And its 100% compatible with PM.  https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Alcatel-GO-FLIP-3_id11249 . Stay safe. 

@geopublic wrote:

@GusP That phone will work with Public Mobile as it supports the correct 3g bands. Best to see if they carry an unlocked version or the Koodo version to save you from having  to unlock it

@geopublic   I believe all those phones come unlocked now so it shouldn't be a problem.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@GusP That phone will work with Public Mobile as it supports the correct 3g bands. Best to see if they carry an unlocked version or the Koodo version to save you from having  to unlock it

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/koodo-alcatel-go-flip-cell-phone-black-prepaid/10750997?icmp=Re...

GusP

@gblackma That could be best buy error. Isint GSM old ? Rogers is slowly getting rid of it. I wouldnt see why a new phone only supports GSM.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@GusP  the model that your are showing has only gsm connections. So no it isn't compatible based upon your link. Stay safe. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@GusP wrote:

Is the Alcatel Go Flip 3 Compatible with Public Mobile ? 

I am looking at this one. It says CHATR on it but can it be unlocked to work with Public ?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/chatr-alcatel-go-flip-3-black-prepaid/14518022

One guy in the reviews says it works with Public and the other guy says it doesn't so im confused.

@GusP   The previous models of Go Flip work well with PM and I don't see why the current model  shouldn't work too. 

Edit:  Yes I see what you mean by the two reviews available on BB's website.  Maybe the user who has this model will respond and give you a more definitive response.  I'd be interested too as we need to upgrade our Go Flip (first model) too. 😊

Need Help? Let's chat.