cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Public Mobile Account locked to my phone

jamie_law
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Everyone, 

My phone got wet after Kayaking yesterday, and needs replacing. 

I was hoping to find out if my Public Mobile account was locked to my phone. If so, bummer.

If not, am I able to take out the SIM card and place it into another unlocked phone and have a working telephone?

Kind regards

Jamie_Law 

4 REPLIES 4

And if the sim is damaged as well then you'd have to buy a new sim card. You can get one at Wal-Mart.

Then log into your account and click change sim card. Green arrow on picture below.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@jamie_law wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

My phone got wet after Kayaking yesterday, and needs replacing. 

I was hoping to find out if my Public Mobile account was locked to my phone. If so, bummer.

If not, am I able to take out the SIM card and place it into another unlocked phone and have a working telephone?

Kind regards

Jamie_Law 

Hi @jamie_law ,

Oh bummer about your phone taking a dip. 🙂

Yes, take out your SIM (let it dry out first) - try this:

"If the SIM card sits in water too long, it can become useless. Lay the SIM card on a dry paper towel overnight to allow it to dry completely before trying to use it in any phone. If the SIM card sits in water for more than a few minutes, put it in a bowl of uncooked rice overnight to help draw any water out of the card."

Then simply insert it into another compatible Public Mobile cell phone:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-started

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@jamie_law your PM account is not locked to your phone. As long as a phone is compatible with PM. You should be able to switch your SIM into it and have service. Make sure that the phone has at least the 3g frequencies below. 

Public Mobile 3G & 4G Frequencies.
3G Frequencies 850 MHz, Band 5 (UMTS/ HSPA).1900MHz, Band 2 (UMTS/ HSPA).

4G Frequencies 1700/ 2100 MHz AWS, Band 4 (LTE/ LTE Advanced).
                             700 MHz A/B/C/E, Band 12/13/17/29 (LTE/ LTE Advanced).

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Yes, you can put the sim in another unlocked phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.