cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Phone covered under public Mobile?

jacobyo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am ordering a phone from china and i searched on different frequency websites and saw taht there might be a chance that public mobiles bands are the same as on the phone.

The phone is the elephone s8 and i just want to double check before ordering a sim that i will be alright

thank you

6 REPLIES 6

alltimelow22

Had a friend who bought that exact phone. It wouldn't work on either Telus or Bell networks.

moving4wrd

Here is a list of frequencies that are able to be used hopefully this helps:

Frequency range Band number Protocol Class Status Note(s)

850 MHz CLR5UMTS/HSDPA/HSPA+/DC-HSPA+3G/"4G"ActiveFallback for calls.
1,900 MHz PCS2UMTS/HSDPA/HSPA+/DC-HSPA+3G/"4G"ActiveFallback for calls.
850 MHz CLR5LTE4GActive / Being deployedUsed for extra bandwidth within cities and rural coverage. Only seen in British Columbia.[21]
1,900 MHz PCS2LTE / LTE Advanced4GActive / Being deployedSecondary LTE Band being deployed and used for LTE / LTE Advanced coverage.
700 MHz A/B/C/E12/13/17/29LTE / LTE Advanced4GActive / Being deployedMainly used in rural areas / rural coverage.
1,700/2,100 MHz AWS4LTE / LTE Advanced4GActiveMain LTE Band used across the country. Also being used to provide LTE Advanced coverage.
2,600 MHz IMT-E7LTE / LTE Advanced4GActive / Being deployedFound in select markets, but being developed slowly in new markets alongside to provide LTE Advancedcoverage.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@koimr1@ckl your analysis is correct.  @jacobyo that phone is not compatible with Public Mobile.  The only provider you will be able to use it with in Canada is Rogers or Fido, since rogers is the only Canadian network operator to offer 2G GSM services, and the 3G bands on the phone you want to buy are not compatible with any Canadian provider.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jacobyo:

I'm looking here: Elephone S8

If I'm reading this properly (and @ckl posted the same bands I see) then you won't be able to make/receive calls and you only get LTE on band 7 only which is only available in certain areas and is such high frequency that building penetration is gonna be an issue.

Specs are nice but I think I'd stay away until someone else gets this one and confirms it works with Telus/Koodo/PM first.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jacobyo

The specs for your phone from the official website is:

GSM:B2/B3/B5/B8 (1900/1800/850/900)
WCDMA:B1/B8 (2100/900)
FDD-LTE:B1/B3/B7/B20 (2100/1800/2600/800)
TDD-LTE:B38/B40(2600/2300)

Public mobile mainly uses these bands:

3G use (UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA): 850MHz/1900MHz bands

4G/LTE use: 700/1700/2100/2600Mhz bands

So it appears that your S8 will have very limited connectivity if at all. Public Mobile is 3G and above, so no GSM.

willmyphonework.net doesn't list the S8, but has the S7. If they have similar frequencies, then connectivity is limited.

You can read a review of it here. Scroll down to the phone calls section and you will see it is not really compatible with North American frequencies:

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/09/elephone-s8-review-blending-low-cost-with-great-design.html

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

The frequencies supported by PM can be found here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.