cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a phone issue?

Jenntb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello! My son was given a very old phone (iPhone 4 i think). We just we want it for calling me basically). Anyhow, when he has tried to call me, or vice versa I cant hear anything. He can hear me, but that's all. We thought maybe he was pushing the mute button, but that's not it. 

I assumed maybe it was the microphone. That being said, when we tested whatsapp video chat, I could hear him....does that use something different?

Trying to determine if it's a phone issue, or something with our service. Thanks for any help!

12 REPLIES 12

psylence
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

try using headphones...may help

@Jenntb wrote:

Not ideal, but we discovered if he uses the speaker phone, we can hear him.

This seems to confirm the premise that only one of the two microphones is functioning.

As previously suggested, you can try using headphones Or try cleaning the microphone.

Jenntb

Not ideal, but we discovered if he uses the speaker phone, we can hear him.

Jenntb

Thanks everyone. So far I've found that it works now for whatsapp, but still not for making calls... we'll try some of the other suggestions we haven't done so far. Super irritating

GGPlayer

You can try to use What'sApp and see if it can work. If so, then start to test with phone service.

@JenntbI would swap your SIM card to another phone just to narrow down whether it is a Public Mobile issue or a hardware issue.

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Never usedan iPhone but could you get a cheap pair of headphones with a built in microphone and see if you can make calls that way? If that works it might eliminate some possible issues.

@Jenntb 

Likely a phone issue, but you can try to put the PM SIM card in another phone.  This helps determine whether hardware/phone issue versus PM Service issue.  

Besides the suggestions above, other things to try:

Reboot phone

Network Reset

Toggle airplane mode on, then off

Update IOS.  Reconnect to itunes via computer.  

Stay Safe!

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@Jenntb  I believe the iPhone 4 has two microphones. The one you use for calling and one on top.

If this is what's wrong, enabling the speaker phone uses both mics and should allow him to talk to you. A set of headphones might do the job as well. 

tsparkle21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Try calling the line again and put it on speaker to see if the issue is really with the phone.  If the speaker works then try toggling it on and off to see if it triggers the receiver to work.  If the speaker is working but the receiver is not, then the receiver may be the problem.  

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Jenntb wrote:

Hello! My son was given a very old phone (iPhone 4 i think). We just we want it for calling me basically). Anyhow, when he has tried to call me, or vice versa I cant hear anything. He can hear me, but that's all. We thought maybe he was pushing the mute button, but that's not it. 

I assumed maybe it was the microphone. That being said, when we tested whatsapp video chat, I could hear him....does that use something different?

Trying to determine if it's a phone issue, or something with our service. Thanks for any help!

Hi,

You can try this: https://www.wikihow.tech/Boost-Microphone-Volume-on-iPhone-or-iPad

More tips:https://itstillworks.com/adjust-balance-iphone-sound-13849.html

And if you are experiencing significant problems with the microphone on your iPhone, you can take it in to an Apple Store.

Good luck!

Need Help? Let's chat.