cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone XR esim

John_Dobski
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I've heard that iphones offer esim now. I know that public mobile does not support esim yet but it should be fine as I would intend on using public mobile sim card as the main card. I am thinking of using iphone esim for a fido data plan and a public mobile physical sim for calls. Would it work, as both cards' carriers are 3g only. I've read that some phones don't have both sim and esim use the same frequency. Has anyone tried? What was your experience in general?

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

iPhones use Dual SIM, Dual Standby (DSDS) technology. Calls are supported on both SIMs, but only one at a time. I believe they use TDM to avoid conflict.

As far as I know, both SIMs can use the same RF hardware and can use LTE if desired.

@popping wrote:

Yes, when I was surfing the web on my Fido SIM, I can receive phone calls from PM SIM.  My guess is that data usage is bursty in nature. I can receive phone calls between my data breaks.

what data plan you have now?  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pmmobile wrote:

@poppingJust curious, when you are using Fido SIM for data are you able to receive calls or texts on the PM SIM? Or, what happens if you receive a MMS when using data? 

Yes, when I was surfing the web on my Fido SIM, I can receive phone calls from PM SIM.  My guess is that data usage is bursty in nature. I can receive phone calls between my data breaks.

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@poppingJust curious, when you are using Fido SIM for data are you able to receive calls or texts on the PM SIM? Or, what happens if you receive a MMS when using data? 

popping

@John_Dobski 

Using dual SIM phone is the best way to get around the capped 3Mbps LTE speed.  The monthly saving allows me to pay for my cheap Chinese dual SIM phone in 6 months.

popping

@John_Dobski 

i am using a cheap Chinese dual SIM Android 9 phone with PM talk/text plan + Fido data only plan.  I configured my phone always use the Fido SIM for data only and my PM SIM for talk and text only.  It works very well and both SIMs are on 4G. Both SIMs are configured as auto 3G/4G.  Although I have the bonus 1GB data on my PM SIM, it does not use data from my PM SIM when I surf the web without wifi.  I also enable the data on my PM SIM in order to receive/send picture MMS.  My phone supports both SIMs active concurrently.  But when I am on a call, I was not able to use the Fido SIM for data.  Your expensive iPhone may work concurrently.

I don't know anything about iPhone XR.  I expected it will work.  I like to hear your result.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Public mobile data od capped lte, you can force it to use true 3g, I don't know about Fido, it may be capped lte as well, you would have to check with them. To talk you will need to use the slot that supports 3g as public mobile doesn't support volte

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It will work as long as you only use one sim for data.

waternlava
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@John_Dobski wrote:

Hi,

I've heard that iphones offer esim now. I know that public mobile does not support esim yet but it should be fine as I would intend on using public mobile sim card as the main card. I am thinking of using iphone esim for a fido data plan and a public mobile physical sim for calls. Would it work, as both cards' carriers are 3g only. I've read that some phones don't have both sim and esim use the same frequency. Has anyone tried? What was your experience in general?

Thank you

It should work.

Good luck.

Need Help? Let's chat.