cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone SE 2020 (2nd generation)

elb-bo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is anyone using Public Mobile on an iphone SE 2020 (2nd generation)? I searched the Community a bit and am seeing some conflicting responses.

19 REPLIES 19

ngoduc17

Yes, it works very well, i am using and no problems so far

ec5

how do i set up my new iphone SE 2020 to recognize the public mobile network? I have registered but did not receive a confirmation text. I tried to set up data using the apn on the phone but i don't see anywhere to enter mmsc and mms proxy. My husband set his up (same phone type) and none of this was required and the APN did not have to be changed. help. 

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I don’t know. But why, with the CRTC ruling, would any carrier try that? 

It's a form of vendor lock-in the Wireless Code doesn't recognize.

Also - the CRTC is as much about fair rights for the providers as fair rights for the consumers. It's not a problem they need (or want) to make rules about until too many people start complaining. It's also a new enough variant that not many people really recognize it yet - they buy a new phone, they're happy with the phone, they don't realize there's a problem until much later when they try to take it somewhere else.

Be it all as it may ... iDon't iPhone and iHave no iDea whether iPhones are affected.

I don’t know. But why, with the CRTC ruling, would any carrier try that? 

What about software locks?

Carriers can (and some do) preconfigure the phones they sell to only accept their pushed APNs. In effect making the phone useless for data on other networks - unless the user does a jailbreak/root.

My understanding is that Apple disallows them from installing bloatware. Does Apple also prevent this other kind of vendor lock-in?

@Korth That's a good point about that phones can still be locked. Some could assume the phone must be unlocked already but the rules can be different if the phone came from another country.

Apple stores in USA still sell the 2020 locked

They even restrict switching carriers (eg can use an International SIM but not always allowed to take the phone from say AT&T to T-Mobile)

So the question is relevant esp if OP is buying device online

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204039

It was Apple who insisted on device locks not the carriers back in the day

Apple shut Telus and Bell out simply because Rogers was willing to pay them more

@Korth wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

But since we know the 2020 model was released in April 2020 it already comes unlocked.

You're probably correct. I don't follow iPhone trends.

But how do we know that? Has Apple forced Canadian carriers to conform to unlocked marketing rules?

Since day one all iPhone from the Apple store sold them unlocked. And last year the CRTC said any phones sold new must be unlocked and any locked phone must be unlocked by the carrier at no charge. We are talking about with in Canada though. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Korth  well any iPhones purchased at an Apple Store have always came unlocked and since December 2017 all Canadian carriers have to sell unlocked phones. 

Had this been an original iPhone SE that came out in March 2016 it would have likely been locked. Since it's the 2020 version it's unlocked. Which is likely the reason Canadian carriers only sell these phones now (with a bit of a discount) as you have to stay with the carrier for 2 years. Breaking the contract they ding you for the full price of the unlocked phone.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

But since we know the 2020 model was released in April 2020 it already comes unlocked.

You're probably correct. I don't follow iPhone trends.

But how do we know that? Has Apple forced Canadian carriers to conform to unlocked marketing rules?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Any phone which will work on Telus/Koodo (or Bell/Virgin/Lucky, or SaskTel) is radio-compatible with Public Mobile. The same is likely true with Rogers/Fido/Chatr and Freedom phones, though not guaranteed without checking the brand/model specs.

Although it must also be unlocked (not carrier-locked). It must also be SIM-compatible (not eSIM-only). It must also not be blacklisted (reported as lost/stolen, etc).

elb-bo

Thank you. This answers my question well.

elb-bo

OK, thanks. I know someone who wants to buy this phone and also wants to use Public Mobile.

elb-bo

OK, thanks. I know someone who wants to buy that phone and also wants to use Public Mobile.

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@elb-bo wrote:

Is anyone using Public Mobile on an iphone SE 2020 (2nd generation)? I searched the Community a bit and am seeing some conflicting responses.

Hi if you are asking if it will work here the answer is yes😁

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Yes it works and there are people that use it with Public Mobile.

Are you having issues we can help you with?

Need Help? Let's chat.