cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 8..no internet..shows 3g..tried everything

bpopman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Have a Iphone 8..$25 plan..no internet for past month plus..have full alotment of data to use..with wifi off shows LTE/3G..try to connect to any webpage says no internet

Here are my Settings:

Cell data - on

Cell data options - Enable LTE - on , Data Roaming On

Network Selection - Auto, shows Public Mobile

Cellular Data Network - APN isp.mb.com, user/pass - both blank

Sim Pin - Off

WiFi Assit - ON

On IOS 12.3.1..looked at several posts..tried everything..cannot get it working

Just to add, texting is hit or miss as well with the phone on Public..

wifes phone, frustrating her to no end, bugging me to resolve,

kids on same plan, iphones 7 and 6s, with no issues, same settings and ios version

really stumped here,,help

26 REPLIES 26

@goldilockThe thing is for iPhone the personal hostpot setting is actually set at the Personal Hotspot page see here. Despite what generic APN pages say, one is not suppose to change APN setting since iOS 10.

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Am I crazy? He posted a screenshot of a page on his phone settings that said 

CELLULAR DATA and underneath it states "personal hotspot?"

goldilock

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

Then what is this page (link above) that I keep seeing referenced here (posted above) that lists Public Mobile Phone settings and APN. I copied from that page under IPHONE 8 what it specified to do? See the link 

@GinYVR wrote:

@geopublicCan you reference where you get the idea the APN setting is for setting up hotspot? on iOS the hotspot setting is on a different page. I want to leave as much breadcrumbs so future searches an find a reference.

SInce your good with Google find it yourself. Smiley Happy

@bpopman wrote:

Had a keepgo VPN setup.once deleted it worked..totally forgot that was there..used last month in Europe

Yep. I had the exactly the same problem in Italy 3 years ago with a VPN. It's easy to forget them.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@goldilockThat is not for hostpost.. that is the page you had just mentioned.

@GinYVR wrote:

What model is your iPhone.. you should be able to see it under General.. Google it to see if it is a US provider model eg Sprint or Verizon. If so you get your answer.. there is no way to enable LTE outside the States.. only 3G.

Are you sure about this? I'd be very surprised if Apple would do that to their phones. Modern iPhones should work with all carriers.

@bpopman have you tried network reset on your problematic iPhone? One suggestion would be to take it into an Apple Store for them to help fix it.

bpopman

Had a keepgo VPN setup.once deleted it worked..totally forgot that was there..used last month in Europe

@bpopmanWhat model is your iPhone.. you should be able to see it under General.. Google it to see if it is a US provider model eg Sprint or Verizon. If so you get your answer.. there is no way to enable LTE outside the States.. only 3G.

@geopublicCan you reference where you get the idea the APN setting is for setting up hotspot? on iOS the hotspot setting is on a different page. I want to leave as much breadcrumbs so future searches an find a reference.

@bpopman wrote:

flipped sims..no internet on iphone 8 with kids SIM

other Sim works fine with 6s

all settings the same on both phones

baffled..any ideas?

So, it's the settings on the iPhone 8. I have a long checklist (scrubbed to eliminate items you seem to have done) you can work though:

- connects with wifi?

- cellular data turned on?

- is it all apps that use data or just the browser not connecting?

- toggle airplane mode off/on

- remove sim for 5 minutes, then install and reboot

- go to settings, then general-profile and delete any profiles; details for iPhones here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323130/highlight...

- try cellular network set to 3G, rather than LTE

- check for a carrier update

- remove any VPNs

- reset all network settings; you will need to add back wifi passwords after that.

- LAST desperate measure when all else fails; erase all data and restore phone to factory settings

bpopman

On Public Mobile 36.0.01..same as kids phone..

@Luddite wrote:

@goldilock FYI: NO iPhones can manually adjust APN settings. iPhones only need to ensure they have up to date Carrier settings. Settings >> General >> About: if carrier update is offered install it.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201270

@goldilock FYI: NO iPhones can manually adjust APN settings. iPhones only need to ensure they have up to date Carrier settings. Settings >> General >> About: if carrier update is offered install it.

bpopman

flipped sims..no internet on iphone 8 with kids SIM

other Sim works fine with 6s

all settings the same on both phones

baffled..any ideas?

goldilock

The screenshot you uploaded is for a personal hotspot! 

from the main menu on apple iphone 8 select settings, and then cellular, check that cellular data is turned on, tap cellular data options and then cellular data network. Go to cellullar data and enter information below
APN: sp.mb.com

@brennanleblanc_ wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@goldilockHaving the settings vs being able to enter it are 2 different things.

Here is iOS APN settings page. There are not that many options for your entries are there?

IMG_3233.jpg

Change the APN to "sp.mb.com" and that should fix it.

@brennanleblanc_ No, that won't work. That apn entrie is used for setting up a hotspot.

brennanleblanc_
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@GinYVRWhoops! Didn't go through the entire thing.

@brennanleblanc_Actually that is a screenshot from my actual working iPhone just to illustrate there is no other settings other than the 3 entries.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@bpopmanIs your phone a newly acquired phone? Did you get it from the States ie from Verizon or Sprint? Is so the LTE bands won't work, as the SIM slot is supposed to provide you with roaming capability when you are outside the US.

brennanleblanc_
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@GinYVR wrote:

Here is iOS APN settings page. There are not that many options for your entries are there?

IMG_3233.jpg

Change the APN to "sp.mb.com" and that should fix it.

IMG_3233.jpg

goldilock

Check this page out, it lists the public mobile APN settings for iphone 8.and how to configure them. Hope this helps

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/apple-iphone-8

@goldilockThere is no meaningful APN settings on the iPhone. Everything is done automatically via Carrier profiles.

goldilock

Did you check your APN settings? 

APN Settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri,dun
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@bpopmanHave you try swapping the SIM card with your kid's phone? Have you log into seflserve to see if your data is still displaying on the front page (ie not used up?)

Need Help? Let's chat.