cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 7+ Locked to Carrier

Tessacarson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I have a 7+ with bell that I cancelled. I tried to put my new (and activated) PM SIM in and it said that my phone is locked to the carrier and I need to contact them to unlock it. Bell said my IMEI isn't in their database to unlock it, and neither can Apple.

I tried the PM SIM in a different phone (Iphone 6s) and it worked fine, so there is nothing wrong with the SIM. Can someone help? I've tried to unlock it with a tutorial online with no luck. The 6S has a smashed screen so it's only a temporary solution. 

7+ seems to be on the list of phones that work with Public Mobile when I searched. Am I missing something?

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 

(and any other Canadian carrier) yes they are trying to charge an illegal fees , any carrier the try it to do that you know that 100% 😞
if your line is not activated with any carrier the allowed to charge $75 to unlock any iphone, but the ask you first,
but before you will cancelled any carrier you have to do it with them for free to unlock , but if you do cancelled and you will make a call to unlock the will first asking you about the fees around $75 the allowed to charge , you know but you have to try it to make a call sometime someone can help you for free Depends that agent like to help you or not  you know 🙂

Good Luck 🌺

@Anonymous 

Bell (and any other Canadian carrier) does not and is not allowed to charge $75 to unlock a phone whether someone is a cutrent subscriber or not.  Are you saying that they are trying to charge an illegal fee?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Tessacarson 

Here's what it says on Bell's website.   If any of the eligibility requirements are not meant, perhaps they won't do it.

If your account is in good standing, and if for some reason you wish to put your mobile device on another network, you can unlock your device from the Bell network at no charge. The information below explains eligibility requirements and how to complete the unlock process online.

Please note:

• Apple devices purchased after January 1st 2014, are already unlocked.
  • Devices purchased after November 30, 2017, are already unlocked.

Eligibility

Each of the following requirements must be met:

What you’ll need

To unlock your device, you’ll need to have the following on hand:

• The Bell device you wish to unlock
  • The device’s IMEI number (for how to find it, see instructions below)
  • An unlock code from Bell (for how to get it, see instructions below)
  • A non-Bell SIM card that fits the device

How to find your IMEI number

The IMEI is a unique number assigned to your device. To locate it:

• Phones: dial *#06# to get the number on your screen.
  • Apple iPads: go to Settings > General > About.
  • Android tablets: go to Applications > Settings > About tablet > Status.

How to obtain an unlock code from Bell

Once you have your IMEI number, you can obtain an unlock code by following a few simple steps in MyBell or by contacting us to speak to a customer service representative. After completing the unlock code request, you will receive a confirmation email from Bell. There is no fee to unlock your Bell device.

To obtain an unlock code in MyBell:

1. Go to the MyBell unlock device page.
  2. Enter your IMEI number.
  3. Follow the instructions to receive the unlock code.

What to do once you have an unlock code

Some devices display a confirmation message once the unlocking is complete, while some do not. If your device has been unlocked successfully, it will work with a SIM card from another provider.

Apple (including iPad)
Important notes
  • After requesting the unlock code, you will receive a confirmation email from Bell. Then, there are two methods to unlock your device.
  • Your device will not indicate that it is unlocked. You will know it has been unlocked if it works with a SIM card from another provider.
Preferred method
  1. Insert a non-Bell SIM card into your device.
  2. Follow the setup process that will appear on your device.
Alternate method
  1. Back up your device.
    1. Connect your device to iTunes on your computer.
    2. Select your device from the menu bar near the top of the screen.
    3. A backup may start automatically. If not, select Back Up Now.
  2. Erase your device.
    Important: this step cannot be undone. Ensure you have created a backup as described above before proceeding.
    1. On your device, select Settings.
    2. Scroll to and select General.
    3. Scroll to and select Reset.
    4. Select Erase All Content and Settings.
    5. Select Erase.
    6. Select Erase again.
    7. Your device will reboot.
  3. Set up your device.
    1. Insert a non-Bell SIM card into your device.
    2. Follow the prompts to set up your device.
    3. If prompted, select Restore from iTunes to restore the content you backed up earlier. Or, you can connect your device to iTunes on your computer, select your device from the menu bar and then select Restore Backup.

Anonymous
Not applicable

my dear
bylaws unlock any iphone device you have to contact your carrier before your cancelled with them , and your iphone you take from Bell
the have to unlock to you for free , but i think the have a sim card bell activated to the do it for you for free but you have to try it with them or if you have another line activated you have to call from that line activated with bell or i don't know where getting your iphone you have to found where your carrier you getting iphone from , you know the will do it for Free for you to unlock , but apple the can't do anyhting about unlock , i hope you will found a way to do it but if your iphone from Bell you have to try it too many time to unlock with them for free 🙂 and if the say to you , your line is cancelled and the will told you , you have to pay $75 to the do it , ask about a manager or try from any friend the have a line activated the do it for free or if you have line is still with bell you have to try it to call them or try do a chat live with agent  online on web for them , bylaws unlock any iphone device for free 

Good Luck 🌺

softech
Oracle
Oracle
yes. Bell (and other providers) likely won't help if you don't have a service with them.

Google those online service or go into those Phone servicing store, they might be able to help with a fees

Tessacarson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've tried 3x with them to unlock it and they say it's not in their database

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Tessacarson , you need to work with the supplying carrier to have the phone unlocked.  Unfortunately there is nothing Public Mobile can do to address the situation.  

Need Help? Let's chat.