cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5 imessage problems when NOT in wifi

Matts13
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone!, We are having imessaging issues when the phone is on PM (not wifi) when in WiFi, imessaging works perfect however when we are on PM network the message will not send unless its sent as a text message. I did a search on the forums and tried a few "fixes" with no luck. Has anyone had this problem?

13 REPLIES 13

MySweetPM

imessage never works unless you are on wifi or on a data plan. 

An imessage send outside wifi coverage area will stay on the phone until the device reach a wifi coverage area. An imessage could be sent as a normal mssage by keep pressing on the message and select "Send as Text Message" option. Keep in mind, text message will work only if you have a text plan with PM.

@stonechucker Yes, Apple ID and iCloud address may be different. It would be rare they do not resolve to the same account, however.

If anyone is interested, here's the explanation of sms/mms/iMessage: https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-sms-mms-iphone-2000247

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Matts13

@stonechucker wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

@Matts13 Correct setup is:

Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive should show the Public Mobile number and iCloud email address.

When the recipient is not an iPhone user the message is delivered as SMS, or MMS (picture messages). If the recipient uses iMessage only on wifi, then you must also be on wifi or cellular data.

@Luddite,

I do not believe it is always the iCloud email address, as on my iPad, it lists my AppleID email address, which is decidedly different than the iCloud address.  Saying this, for *most* users, the iCloud and AppleID are most likely the same.

@Matts13, is your data enabled on your iPhone?  Although data isn't counted against your data on Public Mobile for MMS, iMessage does use the data connection.

Data is enabled or at least should be? I'll check his phone when he gets home from school today

@Luddite wrote:

Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive should show the Public Mobile number and iCloud email address.

When the recipient is not an iPhone user the message is delivered as SMS, or MMS (picture messages). If the recipient uses iMessage only on wifi, then you must also be on wifi or cellular data.

@Luddite,

I do not believe it is always the iCloud email address, as on my iPad, it lists my AppleID email address, which is decidedly different than the iCloud address.  Saying this, for *most* users, the iCloud and AppleID are most likely the same.

@Matts13, is your data enabled on your iPhone?  Although data isn't counted against your data on Public Mobile for MMS, iMessage does use the data connection.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Matts13

@mimmo wrote:

easy solution switch to android 🙂  in all seriousness depends how important imessage is and are there alternatives.

PM also has the data addons 1gb for $30 ,  that is what my mom has (plus talk and text)  and she has used 200mg over 4 months,  so for her it works well, tracking usage to determing if we switch her to teh 500mg 3g i suggested in my above post).

But I am not sure if you can restrict data usage on iphones so once in the candy store there might not be any turning back. 🙂

I'm an Android nut (Pixel XL)!!, However my wife and kids are Apple lovers fine with me as i never get asked to help with anything (you know its locked down like fort knox) (besides this) becuase you cant do anything with it!! win win for me!! 🙂 SMS is fine i don't see the need for that type of security for text messaging at our level.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

easy solution switch to android 🙂  in all seriousness depends how important imessage is and are there alternatives.

PM also has the data addons 1gb for $30 ,  that is what my mom has (plus talk and text)  and she has used 200mg over 4 months,  so for her it works well, tracking usage to determing if we switch her to teh 500mg 3g i suggested in my above post).

But I am not sure if you can restrict data usage on iphones so once in the candy store there might not be any turning back. 🙂

Matts13

i guess the real question is is the $5/month more worth it for just imessage? 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Matts13  I am sure it is a concious decision for the talk and text plan, but in case you were thinking of  data, you con get 500mb/month of 3g data  for $5/month based on the current plans.

Matts13

@Raven_Jet wrote:

What happens is iMessage will not always recognize you are off wifi.

Then a message you send from that phone will become stuck until you get back on wifi. It may say failed to deliver. You will need to force it to send as a regular SMS text.

It will work smoothly only if you have data turned on when not on wifi. Messages will send.

And thats exactlly how its acting you hit it on the nail.

Raven_Jet
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What happens is iMessage will not always recognize you are off wifi.

Then a message you send from that phone will become stuck until you get back on wifi. It may say failed to deliver. You will need to force it to send as a regular SMS text.

It will work smoothly only if you have data turned on when not on wifi. Messages will send.

Matts13

Oh?.. I think you might have solved this!! it's my sons phone he does not have data on his plan! just talk and text. Which will explain why imessage wont work when on PM network?

JDT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Do your other data functions work when connected to the PM network (not wifi)?  iMessage is sent over data.

Need Help? Let's chat.