cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid SIM card

dandoyle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Someone gave me an iphone.  I purchased a sim card from public mobile and inserted it.  wheni setup the phone it says the sim card is invalid.  what can I do to fix?   

6 REPLIES 6

"Invalid SIM" = carrier-locked phone, permanently deactivated SIM card (because account Terminated after 90+ days of non-payment),or bad SIM card (they use essentially the same technology as the chips on bank cards and credit cards, they are indeed always a few new-issued defects but they're really quite rare).

The original carrier can unlock the device (for free), but they will only do so for the original owner of the device. Or you coukd purchase an unlock code in eBay. 

Trevor68
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Call the carrier to which your phone is locked to.

Tell them you need an unlock code.

They will ask you the imei number.

Once given it will take about a minute for them to get you the code.

Pop in your sim card and enter the unlock code they gave you.

Way to go, you're phone will work with publicmobile. 

Carriers don't charge you anymore for you to obtain the unlock code

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@dandoyle wrote:

Someone gave me an iphone.  I purchased a sim card from public mobile and inserted it.  wheni setup the phone it says the sim card is invalid.  what can I do to fix?   

Which iPhone did you recieve ? Some earlier iPhones have limited functionality here. Have a look at top of page Get Started...input your phone info to make sure it works and not reported stolen.

Good luck and welcome to Public Mobile.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Here's an article that may have some pointers: https://www.payetteforward.com/invalid-sim-on-iphone-heres-why-real-fix/

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You may need to contact the previous provider to have the phone unlocked.

You’ll have to contact the previous carrier of the phone, (who it is locked to), who will unlock it for you for free, per the CRTC Consumer Code (given that it is a Canadian carrier). If you are unable to determine this, you may be able to use an unlocking service online for a small fee. Some “phone repair” stores will also unlock phones for ~$10 or so. 

Once you do this, you’ll be provided with a code, which can be entered when it prompts you to after inserting the PM SIM card and restarting the phone. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@dandoyle 

More details may be helpful.....  

Did you activate your SIM card/plan already?  In store or online?  Are you able to access your self service account? Etc.

Is the iphone locked to another carrier?  Ask your friend who gave you the phone, etc.

Need Help? Let's chat.