cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing PM SIM as 2nd virtual SIM in iPhone 11

mahadeotahal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been given an iPhone 11 as my work phone. The phone allows for 2 SIMs. How can I install my Public Mobile SIM as the 2nd number on the Bell iPhone?

17 REPLIES 17

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth Regardless of low-frills budget brand or not, I do believe that sometime in the next few years, eSIM will be a requirement just to remain in the game.  I don't believe it's just the expensive phones that will go first eSIM optional and then eSIM only--I believe this will trickle down through the vast majority of phones on offer by say 2021 or 2022.  I could definitely be wrong, this is my just what my spidey senses are telling me.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Public Mobile is value-tier and strictly Bring Your Own Device.

Anyone is welcome to subscribe, of course, so some PM customers always have the latest-and-greatest eSIM-equipped $$$$ flagship devices. But many (most?) PM customers will be cost conscious, bringing $$$ mid-end or $$ low-end or $ used devices which don't come equipped with eSIMs. Used devices in particular often come with mysterious pasts and no access to the original receipts or "authorized owners" which are needed to properly unlock them today - or their eSIMs tomorrow - so PM's business model will continue avoiding eSIMs for as long as possible, it seems to be exactly the last sort of operator to ever adopt eSIMs.

PM also doesn't (currently) offer high-speed high-capacity Data plans. Nor any network-side support for commodity technologies like VoLTE. And it certainly doesn't offer any incentives (like subsidized or financed $$$$ hardware cost or any sort of extra bonus for long-term contractual commitments). So it seems foolish to buy a mighty flagship device just to use it on PM, it seems equally foolish for PM to rush towards embracing (upgrading, licensing, investing into) mighty flagship-exclusive technologies. Like eSIMs. 

srlawren

@Korth wrote:

The bottom line is that a physical SIM card is basically hardware. You can swap it out, secure it, control it, as you like. You have some ability to avoid vendor lock-ins. 

While an eSIM is basically software. You don't really have a key, you don't even know when the locks get changed. 

@Korth while I agree, typically it's not really up to the consumer.  For instance, I don't think many people were clamoring for manufacturers to start getting rid of headphone jacks, but here we are where virutally all flagships ship without one and that will slowly trickle down the value chain.  Do you think many people asked for non-removable batteries?  How about physical keyboards--granted yes most of us have now adapted to typing/swiping on glass, but many of us BlackBerry enthusiasts lamented the loss of the physical keyboard at first.  FM radios and IR transmitters once upon a time were common hardware features and both are now quite rare.  There's plenty of examples of device manufacturers deciding what's best for us and taking us along for the ride, for the better or the worse.  And of course, "avoiding vendor lock-ins" is something vendors would like to avoid, which makes things that encourage vendor lock-ins that much more appealing to them and more likely to be adopted.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@Korth wrote:

Very unlikely to ever be supported by Public. Unless they change their business model and start selling/subsidizing new phones.

@Korth I disagree.  Phones are headed in the direction of eSIM-only.  The first [mainstream, anyway] example of this I've seen is the new Moto RAZR, which has no SIM slot and operates only via eSIM.  I do not believe it will be the last--I believe within a few years most/all phones will be SIM-free, for the better or worse.  I believe PM will at some point need to support eSIM, but it will likely be a while.

I think you're correct, eSIM offers a fine way for device manufacturers and network operators to achieve their objectives. It's far too useful for them in too many ways so it will gradually displace physical SIMs on all new devices.

But I also think physical SIM slots will become a hardware "option" people won't want to relinquish. The form factor is not scheduled for EOL and the world at large has heavy reliance on interchangeable SIM cards/slots. I'm referring to international cellphone markets and all sorts of cellular-capable devices (not just consumer drvices, but also business, industry, government, military, etc).

The bottom line is that a physical SIM card is basically hardware. You can swap it out, secure it, control it, as you like. You have some ability to avoid vendor lock-ins. 

While an eSIM is basically software. You don't really have a key, you don't even know when the locks get changed. 

srlawren

@Korth wrote:

Very unlikely to ever be supported by Public. Unless they change their business model and start selling/subsidizing new phones.

@Korth I disagree.  Phones are headed in the direction of eSIM-only.  The first [mainstream, anyway] example of this I've seen is the new Moto RAZR, which has no SIM slot and operates only via eSIM.  I do not believe it will be the last--I believe within a few years most/all phones will be SIM-free, for the better or worse.  I believe PM will at some point need to support eSIM, but it will likely be a while.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Just enable call forwarding

iMessage will allow you to get your messages on iPhone11 from your personal and work SIMs

@mahadeotahal wrote:

I've been given an iPhone 11 as my work phone. The phone allows for 2 SIMs. How can I install my Public Mobile SIM as the 2nd number on the Bell iPhone?

marissashirley2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It is not supported. Maybe one day

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

eSIM not supported....hopefully they'll get on-board.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mahadeotahal  Why not move the Bell number to the eSIM and use the SIM slot for you Public number.

If it can't be done then maybe consider porting out to Lucky.

@srlawren wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

Does your model take a) 2 regular SIMs, or b) 1 regular with eSIM? Type a) would be fine with PM in one of the slots.

@Luddite to the best of my knowledge, Apple doesn't/hasn't made any dual-physical-SIM-slot phones.

Wasn't sure so checked and this article says some regions of China do: https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-use-dual-sim-and-esim-on-iphone-xr-and-xs/#What8217s_My_iPhone_11_XR...

BUT then noticed OP said "virtual" SIM which likely means e-SIM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren

@Luddite wrote:

Does your model take a) 2 regular SIMs, or b) 1 regular with eSIM? Type a) would be fine with PM in one of the slots.

@Luddite to the best of my knowledge, Apple doesn't/hasn't made any dual-physical-SIM-slot phones.

@mahadeotahal wrote:

Thanks. And I chose the iPhone over Samsung just for the ability to keep my number.

FYI: eSIM carriers are listed here https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209096

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

countonalex

@mahadeotahal wrote:

Thanks. And I chose the iPhone over Samsung just for the ability to keep my number.

unfortunately public mobile does not offer eSIM capablities yet (this is the technology you need for dual sim on your phone).

lucky mobile, which is comparable to public mobile in terms of pricing, offers eSIM capablities. 

mahadeotahal

srlawren

@GinYVR wrote:

@mahadeotahalPublic Mobile (or Teus in general) does not support eSIM

@mahadeotahal the above meaning:  you cannot.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@mahadeotahalPublic Mobile (or Teus in general) does not support eSIM

Need Help? Let's chat.