Had iPhone but exceeded storage. Really need advice.  Want android 

24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@Scnl wrote:

@Scnl  Pixel 4a

Pixel's might only have eSIM...not proper dual SIM. That is one of my current wish/needs.

DSM18
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Costco has several Motorola models onsale for <$400 with 3500-4000mah batteries and an sdcard for storage.

I'd stay away from Umidigi, only selected phone models get updates and by the time security updates come out they're already outdated! On paper the specs look very attractive, but in real life the quality varies... poor QC.

This one looks good?

https://www.londondrugs.com/telus-motorola-moto-e6-prepaid-phone---black---npplmotoe6bk/L0711041.htm...

Says for Telus and should work......should be unlocked too. 

Yes, I remember. I had a couple of Motorola phones. They were ok. As far a software, I have no idea. They were RAZR flip phones. No more flip phones for this guy.....makes you look old. 😀😀

@LurganIeUk 

As you helped me set up his iPhone it was given to him and is the only apple product he has...but android is the way to go for him. I'm unfamiliar with Motorola products but it seems it may be a better phone spec wise for the money.

Well well......I don’t feel old but I guess my number makes me old. I say a newer iPhone. 

ONLY IF @grumpyneighbour 

Has other Apple products like iPad or a Mac*

OR

If  a lot of @grumpyneighbour  contacts are for Apple users

* if yes...it is a no brainer....stick with Apple. 

OTHERWISE

Go android. 

Since I'm looking for a deal for @grumpyneighbour to replace his iphone4  and more user friendly I'm looking at the Samsung A10 and the Moto G7 at $149 and $189 respectively. Opinions for a phone for the old man?

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/open-box-sale/products/open-box-samsung-galaxy-a10-2gb-ram-32gb-f...

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/open-box-sale/products/open-box-motorola-moto-g7-xt1962-64gb-4gb-...

@Scnl be careful on purchasing Chinese brands.. apparently their has been malware installed on them from the factory. and since umigidi is a brand made from Shenzhen, I would be a bit weary. especially if you are not familiar with technology. if you are really smart you can easily program a chip in the phone to hack you and there will be no way to erase this since it is a hardware hack.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chinaphones/comments/7duqhn/umidigiumi_diamond_x_malware_installed_in_rom/?...

When purchasing an android phone find what what the maximum GB is for the mini HD slot.  

@will13am 

That indeed is a steal of a deal.

@Scnl 

FYI open box phones do not qualify for device insurance on your credit card if you happen to have one that offers it.

@darlicious wrote:

@Scnl 

If @will13am suggestion is in CDN $ that is an excellent price for a solid and reliable phone from Samsung. The camera performs well on Samsung phones as that is most important to me. While i dont have the budget to upgrade from my 2017 A3 atm im still pretty happy with  my phones camera. The A71's camera would be a marked improvement. I literally just got a price from foreign electronics on the international version of that phone but with NFC and brand new (unopen box) $650 cdn.

Swiftronics is a Canadian company with physical stores.  They advertise in Canadian dollars.  I believe their carrier brand single SIM phones are models for the North American market.  The dual SIM models are imports.  One thing that a lot of buyers may not be aware of is that an AMOLED screen adds around $100+ to the selling price.  Both A5x and A7x are AMOLED screens.  Factor in $100 premium on the price for the screen and cost looks pretty compelling.  

Samsung Canada shows MSRP at $549 for the A71.  So, there is a tangible discount for buying open box.  They have an A51 open box option for $100 less.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/smartphones/galaxy-a71-a715/

Scnl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

gsmarena seems to be quoting another currency not cdn dollars.  Maybe eu.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Price range?

Scnl

Looking at these factors too ty 

@Scnl 

If @will13am suggestion is in CDN $ that is an excellent price for a solid and reliable phone from Samsung. The camera performs well on Samsung phones as that is most important to me. While i dont have the budget to upgrade from my 2017 A3 atm im still pretty happy with  my phones camera. The A71's camera would be a marked improvement. I literally just got a price from foreign electronics on the international version of that phone but with NFC and brand new (unopen box) $650 cdn.

Scnl

thanks for all replies v helpful keep em coming as I research

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@Scnl wrote:

Nice of them to not provide an sd card slot eh.

Apple like to control things which affect the user experience.  They don't want people insert a low speed SD card to slow down their phones.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@gblackma Clearly, each model will be different, but I've heard nothing but bad things about the cameras in Umidigi devices.

@geopublic I wouldn't consider a Pixel-anything to be a budget device. This, of course, is only opinion.

The Umidigi phones are definitely budget oriented in terms of performance.  The camera hardware is probably okay, but the software is garbage.  The camera software on the A5 pro was rushed out the door so much that pictures generally come out looking pretty low quality.  The F2 is a whole lot better.  Functions like macro actually work.  I would give the camera performance on the F2 a passing grade.  As for $229 for the A7 pro which is really an A5 pro with a different label, that is highway robbery.  I won't complain about the A5 pro too loudly because I got it for $131 with no expectations of making out like a bandit.  The pixel line of phones are not comparable to the Umidigi line.  Google knows their stuff when it comes to camera software.  I have an LG G7 one which is pretty much an LG phone running google software.  The pictures from the G7 one are amazing for a single camera setup.  

Normally I don't like to shill Samsung products because they are not that great for value.  Given that shipping phones from China these days is pretty YMMV, I would say this offering from swiftronics is not bad.  It is open box but that should only reflect in the price being lower not the item being defective.  I know a couple of people with the A50 and it seems to work quite well.  This is the next generation and one model up.  

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/open-box-sale/products/open-box-samsung-galaxy-a71-6gb-ram-128gb-...

@computergeek541 wrote:

@geopublic I wouldn't consider a Pixel-anything to be a budget device. This, of course, is only opinion.

@computergeek541  Compared to previous Pixels it very well priced. It depends how you define budget in my world it's best bang for your buck. Budget does not always equal cheap!.

Three years Android upgrades, timely monthly security updates, pure Android no bloat, excellent pictures, NFC....priceless!!

@gblackma Clearly, each model will be different, but I've heard nothing but bad things about the cameras in Umidigi devices.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Scnl wrote:

@Scnl  Pixel 4a

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scnl wrote:

Nice of them to not provide an sd card slot eh.

Many android phones will have one.

There's a phone selector tool on gsmarena that you can enter all kinds of criteria to narrow down your wishes and needs.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Scnl  the Umidigi A7pro. It s new thus uear and it's $229 with 4gb and 128 gb storage . I have it and  like it https://www.amazon.ca/UMIDIGI-Unlocked-4150mAh-Capacity-Smartphone/dp/B08924QPQZ/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1...

Maybe one of the Motorola G series devices?

Need Help? Let's chat.