cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infinix X509

jvanwoudenberg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I tried to recommend a friend from Nigeria to switch her Nigerian phone from Fido to PM b/c she was paying to much... I first tried my SIM in her phone in order to see if it would work and I called out no problem so we ordered a sim. Now I received the sim and it is activated however it does not work, and neither does my sim either? I have tried to factory reset the phone and still it isn't working?

Please help! She cannot afford to waste money and is it possible for her to get reimbursed as the service is not working? 

Need a reply asap, 

Thanks, 

14 REPLIES 14

jvanwoudenberg

Thank-you for your help 🙂

Jodi

Daniel
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @jvanwoudenberg,

PM do not offer any refund. But you should take a look on online classified site. You might be able to find good deals.

I've found my iPhone 5s 64go on kijiji.ca.

jvanwoudenberg

Thank-you for your help everyone, now does anyone know if PM will reimburse her? Is that possible to get her money back? OR does anyone know of a decent cheap android device on sale atm? 

lqu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi @jvanwoudenberg, from the phone specs mentioned in the web site, the phone will not work in Public Mobile.  It is better to buy another phone to be used in Public Mobile.  As mentioned by @vrance, the North American band is very different from elsewhere.  Thus, it will be better you that you either buy an unlocked or Telus locked phone here to use, if your friend is going to stay here long enough to justify the cost of the phone.

@jvanwoudenberg That phone WILL NOT work on PM. You need to get a new phone.

The specs on that phone from the http://bestmobs.com/infinix-zero-2/ website you have suggested says:

General Information
2G NetworkGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G NetworkHSDPA 900 / 2100
4G NetworkNo
SIMDual mini SIM
StatusAvailable June 2015

From the post How do I know if my phone will work on the Public Mobile network?

Public Mobile works on following frequencies: 

• For 3G use (UMTS/HSPA): 850MHz/1900MHz bands THEY DO NOT MATCH! Smiley Sad

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Chadihamdan

hello,

I too had a phone with 3G

http://www.gsmchoice.com/en/catalogue/zte/v967s/ZTE-V967S.html

• GSM frequencies 850 900 1800 1900
  • Standard UMTS 900 2100
    that did not work on PM network, it took me sometime and some testing to find out that PM 3g is very picky, my understanding it that PM does not have 2G (regular GSM to fallback on it)
    now i use google nexus 4 and it's working perfectly.

jvanwoudenberg

Thank-you everyone for responding! ( @vrance @benfatto @Daniel @Luddite ) The reason I am stumped is that it did work in the phone before on my SIM. I did try restarting it multiple times but to no avail... @vrance do sim card trays in phones get damaged often? How do you know if it is damaged? It does read, but only find an EXT network when I try to manually select the network.... The phone is unlocked. The phone brand is INFINIX and the model is X509.

Do any of you know if PM reimburses customers if they cannot use their service? 

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @jvanwoudenberg, you can try to use her SIM into your phone to see if it is working.  It is common that the phone coming from countries outside North America may not work in Public Mobile since the required band is missing (3G 850/1900 or LTE 1700/2100).  As other mentioned, it will be very strange that it was working before for your SIM, but not working now.  The only reason I can think of is the SIM card tray is damaged, which means it cannot read any SIM card at all.  If you can list the brand and model of the phone, we can search if it has the band that Public Mobile operates.  You do not see any message like "unlock code" etc. since the phone may be locked to the previous carrier.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jvanwoudenberg That Nigerian phone has the wrong frequencies for PM. The link you sent says "3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100" but PM 3G is "For 3G use (UMTS/HSPA): 850MHz/1900MHz bands".

Not sure how you had a signal earlier but for sure this will not work on PM.

For a phone:        Where can I buy a phone to use with Public Mobile?              and Introducing Orchard, our trusted hardware provider.

Sorry about that.

Daniel
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @jvanwoudenberg,

At this point, I would try to completly turn off the phone (and remove the battery if it's possbile), not just sleep mode.

Restart the phone with the PM card in the phone.

Like you said, the phone used to work with your SIM card before, therefore it should work with her card. Maybe the phone just didn't like all the SIM card switching....

jvanwoudenberg

Thank-you, 

- Here is a link to the phone: http://bestmobs.com/infinix-zero-2/

- She selected unlimited texting canada wide, US&Canada Calling, 1Gb of data - 90days. 

- Yes, I did make sure it has 3G only selected, it was on auto 2g/3g, but still the change did not make a difference

- I did put the APN onto the public mobile settings, however, it still should call as you say... 

I do not think it is incompatible b/c before she ordered her SIM i slipped mine into her phone and i make a call to someone else using her handset? I am very confused as to why this has stopped working?? 

Good info, so it is clear this issue is her Nigerian phone that has stopped working on PM.

What is the make/model? 

What plan did she select?

On the off chance the phone reset to the wrong service, check that it has select 3G service, not 2G. If it is on LTE, try 3G.

You could also confirm APN, though it shouldn't affect phone calls. How do I set up data/APN on my smartphone?

Just did a quick check and I think the phone may be incompatible: How do I know if my phone will work on PM? It must have the correct 3G network frequencies; correct frequencies for 2G do not connect on PM.

jvanwoudenberg

Yes, I know it is very strange!

I will send an email to PM asap. 

- We used her email address to activate

- Yes my sim works in my phone, and her sim works in my phone too

- her status is active

- she did transfer her number 

- no Fido has been transfered so it does not work. 

Thanks 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

That is odd. You should read        We’re sorry, we’re experiencing some issues              and send an email to PM right away. They should reply within 48 hours. You will need to send two emails: 1 for you, 1 for her. Be sure to include each phone and account number in each email.

Perhaps we may some other ideas if you can provide some additional information:

- did you try to use your email address to activate her SIM?

- does your PM SIM still work in your phone?

- did she try to transfer her Fido phone number?

- does her Fido SIM still operate in her phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.