cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Incoming placed calls to my number are getting considered as long distance

When my friends (which are all local), call my cell phone number it tells them that my number is long distance. We are all in the same metro vancouver area.

Oracle

Re: Incoming placed calls to my number are getting considered as long distance

@Ewunia Does your number belong to other cities such as Abbotsford or Chilliwack? Does your friend have access to local callings only?


_____________________________________________________________________

I am not a mod. Do not send me private message with your personal info.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

Re: Incoming placed calls to my number are getting considered as long distance


@Ewunia wrote:

When my friends (which are all local), call my cell phone number it tells them that my number is long distance. We are all in the same metro vancouver area.


Unless those same friends are also with Public Mobile, this isn't a Public Mobile service issue.  Whether it's long distance for the caller is determined by the carrier being used by that person.

 

Assuming they are calling from cell phones, what city are they in when they are calling you (not the city of their phone numbers)?    And, what is the area code and the first 3 digits of your phone number?  Those 2 factors alone will determine if calling you is really long distance for them.

 

 

 

Oracle

Re: Incoming placed calls to my number are getting considered as long distance


@slash407 wrote:

i run into this problem too sometimes, Pm says just ignore it. Or else u can contact the mods but that would proabbaly b fruitless


Lol, this is not a Public Mobile issue.  It is the other carrier that is causing the problem. 

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Incoming placed calls to my number are getting considered as long distance

Hi there,  can you ease provide me with your phone number so I can determine if you have the correct area code prefix for the greater Vancouver area?  

Re: Incoming placed calls to my number are getting considered as long distance

It's not even a carrier problem.  The issue is based on the phone number of the 'receiving party' and it's assigned area code and prefix calling centre.  The 'sending' party needs to call, depending on where they are physically located to the 'receiving' party's geographic location.

 

So, I don't know the Vancouver situation, but I'll give an Ontario example.

 

Windsor, ON and Kitchener, ON are both in the 519 (and 226, a third) area code.  Windsor calling Kitchener (and visavirsa) is a long distance call. If a cell phone from Windsor is in Kitchener, it can call a Kitchener number locally, but a Kitchener cell phone in Kitchener would need to call that same Windsor phone number long distance.

 

 

 

 

Re: Incoming placed calls to my number are getting considered as long distance


@slash407 wrote:

i run into this problem too sometimes, Pm says just ignore it. Or else u can contact the mods but that would proabbaly b fruitless


If someone calling the OP has to make a long distance call, that has nothing to do with Public Mobile (unless the other people are also on Public Mobile).  As I said earlier, whether a call is long distance for the person placing a call is decided on by that person's carrier, based entirely on the two factors that myself and stinechucker have both stated.  

Mayor / Maire

Re: Incoming placed calls to my number are getting considered as long distance


@computergeek541 wrote:

@slash407 wrote:

i run into this problem too sometimes, Pm says just ignore it. Or else u can contact the mods but that would proabbaly b fruitless


If someone calling the OP has to make a long distance call, that has nothing to do with Public Mobile (unless the other people are also on Public Mobile).  As I said earlier, whether a call is long distance for the person placing a call is decided on by that person's carrier, based entirely on the two factors that myself and stinechucker have both stated.  


@computergeek541 agreed.  Ignoring the message on any other carrier could get very costly!  

 

 


@marshallmahoney wrote:

Hi there,  can you ease provide me with your phone number so I can determine if you have the correct area code prefix for the greater Vancouver area?  


 @Ewunia, please DO NOT post your full phone number here, or give it to anyone but a member of the moderator team [EDIT: and even then, only via private message].  However, if you don't mind, could you provide us just your area code?  (e.g. 604, 778, 250, 236, or something else)?


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Highlighted

Re: Incoming placed calls to my number are getting considered as long distance


@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@slash407 wrote:

i run into this problem too sometimes, Pm says just ignore it. Or else u can contact the mods but that would proabbaly b fruitless


If someone calling the OP has to make a long distance call, that has nothing to do with Public Mobile (unless the other people are also on Public Mobile).  As I said earlier, whether a call is long distance for the person placing a call is decided on by that person's carrier, based entirely on the two factors that myself and stinechucker have both stated.  


@computergeek541 agreed.  Ignoring the message on any other carrier could get very costly!  

 

 


@marshallmahoney wrote:

Hi there,  can you ease provide me with your phone number so I can determine if you have the correct area code prefix for the greater Vancouver area?  


 @Ewunia, please DO NOT post your full phone number here, or give it to anyone but a member of the moderator team [EDIT: and even then, only via private message].  However, if you don't mind, could you provide us just your area code?  (e.g. 604, 778, 250, 236, or something else)?


@Ewunia

 

I also wouldn't post a full phone number either in public, but for someone to use CNAC to look up the rate centre/city that the phone numbers are based out of, at least the first 3 digits after the area code will be needed.

 

Are all the friends who are having trouble calling you/or are paying long distance to call you all customers of Public Mobile, or are at least some from different carrriers?