cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls from eBay Customer Service failing to connect

kwarwick43
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I've been having a problem with receiving calls from eBay Customer Service 1-866-540-3229.   Its being going on for a year or more, but since I don't use them much I didn't think much of it and assumed it was a problem on eBay's end, but after talking to eBay about this they weren't aware of any other complaints of this problem, so now I'm wondering if its a problem with my service?

When the call comes in I attempt to answer it but hear nothing for about 10 seconds and then the phone gives the sound that indicates the call disconnected.   Shortly after I'll have a voicemail from eBay so it seems this call is going to voice mail.     I've tried my SIM in two different phones (Samsung S7 edge and Samsung S9+) and the results are same.   I'm tried booting the phone up in "safe mode" and this also makes no difference.   This is the only phone number I know of with this problem... is there anything that can be done to investigate?

Thanks!

Karl

16 REPLIES 16

@kwarwick43 

Officially, moderators are suppose to respond within 48 hours, but when they are busy, wait times have been known to be longer.  If you have not heard back in another 24 hours, I would suggest private message again.  

kwarwick43

Just out of curiosity, is it reasonable to expect a moderator to respond to a question like this?   I privated messaged the moderator team on Wednesday and so far have received zero response.

@kwarwick43 wrote:

So I just had someone else try this with a Koodo iPhone and the call came through... there is like a 10-15 second delay before the auto attendant at eBay starts speaking, but it works.

So perhaps its cellar network dependant.   Perhaps that long delay at the beginning is causing the call to be disconnected in some cases?

@kwarwick43  Koodo and PM share the same network. The only difference is the Koodo supports VoLTE and Public Mobile doesn't maybe that has something to do with it?

kwarwick43

So I just had someone else try this with a Koodo iPhone and the call came through... there is like a 10-15 second delay before the auto attendant at eBay starts speaking, but it works.

So perhaps its cellar network dependant.   Perhaps that long delay at the beginning is causing the call to be disconnected in some cases?

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

No, I didn't. I just assumed it was an issue on my end at the time. I've always had signal issues at home (far from a Bell/Telus tower.) Seeing that you had the exact same issue made me realize that it may not just be related to that.

kwarwick43

@Dogbert wrote:

@kwarwick43 wrote:

Hi,

I've been having a problem with receiving calls from eBay Customer Service 1-866-540-3229.

When the call comes in I attempt to answer it but hear nothing for about 10 seconds and then the phone gives the sound that indicates the call disconnected.   Shortly after I'll have a voicemail from eBay so it seems this call is going to voice mail.

Thanks!

Karl

I've got another mobile phone (not on PM) that I use on a regular basis due to travel and it has the same issue.  When ebay calls you and doesn't get through; it tries again and reaches your voicemail, due to you being on the phone (from the 1st ring).

Details:

- ebay calls you

- ebay system fails to say anything

- ebay system hangs up

- ebay immediately tries again

- ebay goes directly to your voicemail (due to you being on the phone from the 1st ring)

Working Solution:

- ebay calls you

- you pickup the call and hang up immediately

- ebay calls you again

- pickup call

- now you'll be able to go through the automated ebay prompts

Hope this works for you.

I've not bothered trying to relay back to ebay, as I don't know where to even begin.

Thanks very much!   Of course when I talked to eBay about this problem they were unaware of this being an issue, which based on my experience with them doesn't surprise... but you'd think if it was this widespread it wouldn't be going on for a year or more without them being aware... but again... its eBay.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kwarwick43 wrote:

Hi,

I've been having a problem with receiving calls from eBay Customer Service 1-866-540-3229.

When the call comes in I attempt to answer it but hear nothing for about 10 seconds and then the phone gives the sound that indicates the call disconnected.   Shortly after I'll have a voicemail from eBay so it seems this call is going to voice mail.

Thanks!

Karl

I've got another mobile phone (not on PM) that I use on a regular basis due to travel and it has the same issue.  When ebay calls you and doesn't get through; it tries again and reaches your voicemail, due to you being on the phone (from the 1st ring).

Details:

- ebay calls you

- ebay system fails to say anything

- ebay system hangs up

- ebay immediately tries again

- ebay goes directly to your voicemail (due to you being on the phone from the 1st ring)

Working Solution:

- ebay calls you

- you pickup the call and hang up immediately

- ebay calls you again

- pickup call

- now you'll be able to go through the automated ebay prompts

Hope this works for you.

I've not bothered trying to relay back to ebay, as I don't know where to even begin.

GreatCanadian

There is an option to send the call from a contact directly to voicemail. Check your contacts and see if that's set.

GC

kwarwick43

@Psygineer wrote:

I actually have the exact same issue as you. I have no suggestions, but just wanted to let you know that at least you are not alone. No port for me, I started with PM.

That's good to hear!  Did you try engaging the moderators to investigate?

Psygineer

I actually have the exact same issue as you. I have no suggestions, but just wanted to let you know that at least you are not alone. No port for me, I started with PM.

@kwarwick43  Please keep us posted.

kwarwick43

@geopublic wrote:

@kwarwick43  From the description of the problem and since the problem persists across different devices it leads me to believe that the problem could be your number or your sim. Do you remember if this was still an issue when you were with Virgin?

I only started using the feature which brought this issue to light (you can request eBay calls you) maybe in the last year so and I've been with PM for a little over 2 years.   Interestingly I can call that same phone number with without difficulty, so its appears to be only an issue with receiving calls.

I've sent a private message to the moderator team as suggested, so hopefully they can shed some light on this.

Thanks for the replies!

Karl

@kwarwick43  From the description of the problem and since the problem persists across different devices it leads me to believe that the problem could be your number or your sim. Do you remember if this was still an issue when you were with Virgin?

kwarwick43

@geopublic wrote:

@kwarwick43 wrote:

Hi,

I've been having a problem with receiving calls from eBay Customer Service 1-866-540-3229.   Its being going on for a year or more, but since I don't use them much I didn't think much of it and assumed it was a problem on eBay's end, but after talking to eBay about this they weren't aware of any other complaints of this problem, so now I'm wondering if its a problem with my service?

When the call comes in I attempt to answer it but hear nothing for about 10 seconds and then the phone gives the sound that indicates the call disconnected.   Shortly after I'll have a voicemail from eBay so it seems this call is going to voice mail.     I've tried my SIM in two different phones (Samsung S7 edge and Samsung S9+) and the results are same.   I'm tried booting the phone up in "safe mode" and this also makes no difference.   This is the only phone number I know of with this problem... is there anything that can be done to investigate?

Thanks!

Karl

@kwarwick43  Did you port your number from another provider or are you using a PM number?

Ported from another provider, Virgin Mobile.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

you need to contact MOD

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@kwarwick43 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

Karl

@kwarwick43  Did you port your number from another provider or are you using a PM number?

Need Help? Let's chat.