cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to dial numbers during a call

Lyuh1945
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

Could anyone please explain why my phone's screen shuts down during a call, barring me from dialling numbers or retracting the call?

This had never happened before I began useing Public Mobile.

12 REPLIES 12

JdmMama
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had this issue when I owned an IPhone. Eventhough the settings were right, it always froze. Turned out that it was an update error and I managed to get the update again. Im not sure if this might be your issue.

Godspeed.

aneeshbansal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It does happen sometimes.

I had these issues, Howerer reseting the phone or turning off completely helps.

Did you try that, If not try and see if that resloves ?

@Korth wrote:

It's an annoying feature built into the phone software. I couldn't use dial pad touch tones or even hang up the phone once the screen blanked. (Unless I set it to hang up on power button press, which was also annoying because awkward for lefty phone use.) 

Fixed it by installing another Dialer app and discarding the built-in Google/Android junkware... had to root the device to make the changes persistent after restarts. 

I don't believe it should be any other way.  When a phone is being held up your ear, there wouldn't be any way to relasticly be inputting codes or otherwise using the keypad.  Also, the sreen being off when up to your ear is very important when using a touchscreen to prevent accidental touches.

The moment you take your phone away from being pressed against your ear, the screen is supposed to come back on, and does for every touchscreen phone that I've ever used.  If that isn't happening, the software was programmed poorly, or there's something wrong with the censor.

@computergeek541 wrote:

That iis by design, mainly to save battery power, but the screen is supposed to come back on when you move the phone away from your ear.  I too also suspect a faulty proximity sensor, but it could also be the phone's power button being accidently triggered. If you press the power button during a call, does screen light back up?

It's an annoying feature built into the phone software. I couldn't use dial pad touch tones or even hang up the phone once the screen blanked. (Unless I set it to hang up on power button press, which was also annoying because awkward for lefty phone use.) 

Fixed it by installing another Dialer app and discarding the built-in Google/Android junkware... had to root the device to make the changes persistent after restarts. 

@Lyuh1945 wrote:

Hello,

Could anyone please explain why my phone's screen shuts down during a call, barring me from dialling numbers or retracting the call?

This is by design, mainly to save battery power, but the screen is supposed to come back on when you move the phone away from your ear.  I too also suspect a faulty proximity sensor, but it could also be the phone's power button being accidently triggered. If you press the power button during a call, does screen light back up?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Lyuh1945  If you are using a protective case remove it and see what happens. If it's still happening then it sounds like the proximity sensor on the phone is defective.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ChuckYeah wrote:

@chukdefatey wrote:

@Lyuh1945 wrote:

Hello,

You can't be Serious?  This has absolutely nothing what to do with Public Mobile. So please stop blaming Public Mobile. This is a Phone Settings issues.  

I don't see any blame placed here and I ahve answered lots of questions unrelated to pm service here.

I don't have your answer and I'm just on break at work, but you might try downloading a different phone software and see if that works differently for you.

I am not saying you shouldn't help in this situation but OP is definitely saying this has happened since using Public Mobile which implies Blame to Public Mobile. Again feel Free to Help. All I am saying is Public Mobile has nothing to do with this issue 

@chukdefatey wrote:

@Lyuh1945 wrote:

Hello,

You can't be Serious?  This has absolutely nothing what to do with Public Mobile. So please stop blaming Public Mobile. This is a Phone Settings issues.  

I don't see any blame placed here and I ahve answered lots of questions unrelated to pm service here.

I don't have your answer and I'm just on break at work, but you might try downloading a different phone software and see if that works differently for you.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lyuh1945 wrote:

Hello,

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Lyuh1945  I agree with @GR  You can clean off your screen and also ensure that you are not touching any part of the screen when looking at it.  A setting for the proximity sensor can be changed so that screen does not turn off during the call.

If might be found under settings

Tap Call settings or Settings.

• Note If needed, tap Call on the settings page.
  • Tap Turn off screen during calls to enable or disable.
    NoteEnabled when a checkmark is present.

@GR wrote:

@Lyuh1945  that's would be in your phone settings. On my s7 there's a sensor that if I have my hand or anything in front of it shuts down the screen 

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Lyuh1945  that's would be in your phone settings. On my s7 there's a sensor that if I have my hand or anything in front of it shuts down the screen 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Lyuh1945 

Which model phone are you using?  Does text and data work?  Did talk ever work with Public mobile?

Might want to try your SIM card in another phone to see whether it is a hardware issues versus Public mobile service issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.