cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMEI - using new phone and selling old phone.

dinhsin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I'm using a new phone with Public Mobile and would like to sell my old phone. The buyer is concerned that the phone may get blacklisted if there are any issues with my account. They would like the old phone's IMEI transferred to their name. I'm not sure if Public Mobile can do this or if Public Mobile keeps track of the old phone's IMEI in some way?

6 REPLIES 6

@computergeek541 wrote:
Some carriers will only blacklist the IMEi of a device if it was connected to the network in the last 90 days. This is to prevent people from blacklisting devices without a legitimate reason, especially when it's someone else's device.

I think you're right. Information about exactly how "blacklist" registries work and exactly who's in charge of what seems to be very sketchy online. I'm guessing it's all kept deliberately vague to obscure analysis and prevent exploitation.

@Korth wrote:

If you already possess all the information needed to blacklist the phone then there's really no way to stop you from doing it at any time in the future. The new owner will have to trust you'll never abuse the IMEI/etc.

Some carriers will only blacklist the IMEi of a device if it was connected to the network in the last 90 days. This is to prevent people from blacklisting devices without a legitimate reason, especially when it's someone else's device.

The new owner would only have issues with the IMEI if the old owner had the phone blacklisted (reported and registered as lost/stolen/etc).

If you already possess all the information needed to blacklist the phone then there's really no way to stop you from doing it at any time in the future. The new owner will have to trust you'll never abuse the IMEI/etc.

Nothing you can do (as a normal consumer who doesn't install devious devious hacks and trojans) could affect the new owner's SIM cards and phone service. The new owner will have to trust you never embedded any rootkit contaminants.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@dinhsin wrote:

Hi, I'm using a new phone with Public Mobile and would like to sell my old phone. The buyer is concerned that the phone may get blacklisted if there are any issues with my account. They would like the old phone's IMEI transferred to their name. I'm not sure if Public Mobile can do this or if Public Mobile keeps track of the old phone's IMEI in some way?

Nothing gets registered to some ones name IMEI wise. The IMEI number is a unique number amongst ALL mobile phones. I always get the IMEI number before I buy a second hand phone. I check the Canadian black list and if an iPhone, I have a few sites  that tell me about it. It will confirm the make, model, gb, produced date, locked or unlocked, iCloud locked or not etc.  When I pick up the phone I make sure the IMEI is same as what I was told to make sure my checks were valid. But the check is only as good as that moment it was done.  When you put a SIM in a phone the IMEI and brief description of it gets passed back to the carrier. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@dinhsin ,

A good tool to use...to check for lost or stolen phones reported.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-started

Go here at the bottom of the page and see:

"To find out if your cellular phone is compatible with our network, click here. "

"Next, check if your phone is lost or stolen. Enter your 15 digit IMEI number. You can find it by dialling *#06# on your phone.

Format: 15-digits, no decimals
Submit"

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are no account issues here. It's all pre-paid. No credit checks. Nothing. No ownership of IMEI's.

So selling it and it getting blacklisted is up to you. If you decide to take their money and then make the phone into a paper-weight for them...that's up to you.

Need Help? Let's chat.