cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was wondering, for the TCL 20 Pro 5G, how good is it compared to Moto G8 Plus?

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Also, compared to other phones, is the TCL 20 Pro 5G good in Audio sound, Snapdragon, RAM, Screen and Cam front and back?

Now I know against high tier phones, maybe not, but what about the Upper Mid Tier, like between Half to 3 Quarters of the Mid range phones list?

16 REPLIES 16

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I left out another important bit: intentional buffer space.  Anything solid state in particular usually is under-provisioned in terms of usable space vs. raw capacity.  This is so that there is some leftover space for the storage management subsystems to move data around to protect the longevity of the cells (so that the same spot doesn't keep getting rewritten continuously for example) and in case any cells do die and need to be taken out of usage.  Plus solid state devices perform worse and worse (slower) as you fill them closer to capacity, which is another reason to leave some unallocated/inaccessible space to help reduce this.

So all in all, you're rarely if ever getting every byte you were sold.  And it's not always a bad thing.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@Anonymous @softech oh I get you now.  

Okay so yes this issue is prevalent across anything with storage.  Here's the problem: units of measure.  Because everything digital is binary, storage units are actually grouped into powers of 2.  One KB is 1,024 bytes.  One MB is 1,024 KB (or 1,048,576 bytes).  One GB is 1,024 MB (or 1,073,741,824 bytes). 

The problem is that many/most storage makers actually use 1,000 as the groupings instead when they advertise.  So if they sell you a "256 GB" SSD for example, what they're selling you is 256 * 1,000 MB/GB * 1,000 KB/MB * 1,000 B/KB which is a total of 256,000,000,000 bytes. However, the underlying hardware doesn't care what the marketing department told you, and has to group things into units of 1,024 rather than 1,000.  So what you're actually getting is 256,000,000,000 / 1,024 B/KB / 1,024 KB/MB / 1,024 MB/GB = 238.42 *actual* physical GB.  

Why can they get away with this?  I'm not sure.  They've been doing it for decades.  They still do it today.

Does Apple actually do differently and market to you based on the actual units?  I'd be surprised.

The above said, there are other considerations that can contribute to these gaps in advertised space.  Storage space is usually sold in "raw" capacity, but formatting introduces some overhead which takes up a little space.  Plus, the actual amount of *free* space you'll get out of the box in a finished product like a phone or computer is quite a bit lower since they come preinstalled with an operating system and some apps, all of which take up space.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech 

I understand you..

@Anonymous   Here is a "complain" about a 256GB iphone has  only 248.71GB , so apparently iphone is only 97.1523% real    🙂

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/7e33gs/how_much_usable_storage_the_iphone_x_has/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren 

No, but when i have time and some time review,at google i see a lot of people, compliet...

honest, there are so many misconception out there saying how Apple is better.. this is one of them LoL

@Anonymous  .Android just like Apple, they tell you 256GB, there are 256GB..

if you found this is not true..then you just won a LOTTERY!!!!.. cos you can sue them  for false advertisement!!!  

the reason you "think" the storage is less because that some storage is allocated for System partition, and it is a hidden partition so you don't see it.  For example, a 256 GB phone might have as much as 26GB for it's system files and only 230 GB  usable space for user

Same with Windows, you got a 256GB laptop , but Windows itself took  around 20GB, then another 10GB Hidden partition for system restore (factory reset) purpose, so it just left you with around 226GB "usable" space.   But, don't tell others that buying Windows is "not real"  and only Mac is 100% real  

🙂

srlawren

@Anonymous wrote:

just to you know some system for android they say has a 256GB 6GB RAM, but when you test it is not real,

and if you buy it a Apple device what they say 100% real,

@Anonymous Do you have any links about this?

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

google pixel working good here. 128GB 4GB cameras are good.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren 

i do agree with you,

just to you know some system for android they say has a 256GB 6GB RAM, but when you test it is not real,

and if you buy it a Apple device what they say 100% real,

but i like Apple better system and android...

srlawren

@Anonymous I'm going to ignore the Moto G8 since @Dunkman has already shown that it does not compare well to the TCL 20 Pro.

Looking first at the Samsung Galaxy A50, how does it compare to the TCL 20 Pro 5G?  https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10855&idPhone2=9554

I would say that it is not objectively better.  The A50 is smaller in screen and overall dimensions, so if that's important, it might be a better choice.  The 20 Pro has more storage, bigger screen (which may or may not be a good thing), larger battery, faster charging, wireless charging (a50 does not support), and more versatile set of cameras (higher res wide and ultra-wide, higher res front-facing, and includes a macro which may or may not be important to someone).  Really the main thing the A50 has is the more recognizable brand name.  To some it may be better, but your claim that it's just better is not necessarily true.

It's harder to compare to iPhones of course because it's a whole different ecosystem and base operating system.  Both the XR and XS have smaller screens and overall dimensions than the TCL 20 Pro and Samsung A50, so that might be important for some.  The XR is an LCD which generally is not as favourable as the OLED on the TCL and A50, though the XS does feature an OLED.  The XR has only one camera on the rear, and the XS has only two so neither is as versatile as either Android option, though the XS does have a telephoto which some may prefer to the ultrawide on the TCL and A50.  Both iPhone models score rather poorly in GSM Arena's battery test, coming in at 78 hours for the XR and 72 for the XS compared to 98 hours for the A50 (the TCL 20 Pro 5G has not been tested yet to compare but features a bigger battery and more efficient processor (8nm vs 10nm) than the A50 so should do well).

Obviously if you're into the Apple ecosystem then either of those iPhones will be more desirable than either of the Android options.  But to be honest, on just about every other metric, I'd take either the A50 or TCL 20 Pro 5G personally.  

So, thanks for your suggestions, but you've given no evidence to support your claim that these are better devices.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@makkahn28 

i suggest you for that amount you like to spend for better device like Apple or Samsung,

@Anonymous what makes Apple or Samsung better?  Which model(s) specifically would you recommend for similar cost to the TCL 20 Pro and why are they a better purchase?

@srlawren 

for Apple iPhone XS
or
Apple iPhone XR
or
Samsung Galaxy A50
or
samsung galaxy A71
and more much better for the TCL 20 Pro, or Moto G8 Plus,

srlawren

@Anonymous wrote:

@makkahn28 

i suggest you for that amount you like to spend for better device like Apple or Samsung,

@Anonymous what makes Apple or Samsung better?  Which model(s) specifically would you recommend for similar cost to the TCL 20 Pro and why are they a better purchase?

srlawren

@Dunkman wrote:

Here is a comparison:

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10855&idPhone2=9916

@Dunkman @makkahn28 pretty clear from this side-by-side that the TCL pretty much cleans the Moto's clock.  Better CPU, more RAM and storage, bigger and better screen (and OLED vs LCD), bigger battery, faster charging, etc.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@makkahn28 

if you like to purchase any device to check it out with public mobile device compatibility

you have to put it a device brand for any phone to you can see all information,

following  >> To find out if your cellular phone is compatible with our network, click Here link

you can visit Here link

visit Here link to you can see full information about your device.

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Good Luck

@makkahn28 

No personal experience with these phones.  

TCL phone is newer and more expensive than Moto G8.  

Here is a comparison:

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10855&idPhone2=9916

Another review:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/tcl-20-pro-5g

softech
Oracle
Oracle

TCL is a full year and half newer than Moto G8 , that's something to consider.  newer could means more software upgrade down the road.  But I am not sure how good , how much OS upgrade TCL will have for its phones.  

Yes, TCL has a better processor  and more memory and more RAM!!.  64GB on Moto might not be enough these days.  4GB Ram on Moto is just standard,

Some people fancy the 5G, but won't be useful here anyway (of course, you could be moving to a 5G carrier later)

Need Help? Let's chat.