cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was enjoying local FM radio with NextRadio. Now NextRadio doesn't have access to my receiver!

mcfarlan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

22 REPLIES 22

@Anonymous 

Jinx! Next one to speak is a monkey for a week!🐒🍌🍌😉

@mcfarlan 

Did you upgrade your software to Android 11 and install the latest update? Here 's one suggestion from the samsung community......

I had to purchase 3m worktunes fm+connect so I can listen to Fm radio and still answer calls.

But otherwise apparently NextRadio is no longer in business and samsung doesn't plan on fixing this issue.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/FM-chip-no-longer-active-since-the-Android-11-up...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcfarlan : Did you get the Android 11 upgrade? That sucks that they would remove a feature. I've had that before too. My A31 does have A11 and it still has the radio.

mcfarlan

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy A50. I was getting FM radio outdoors without using the internet .on NextRadio using earphones. This all ended about six weeks ago when I got that message instead at the NextRadio app.

@Korth wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

There are a few apps that can use a phone's built-in FM receiver. None of them are going to work if Nextradio isn't working. For clarity, the OP is asking about non-streaming radio that doesn't use the internet.  I agree that streaming internet radio might be a good option, but I believe that the issue/complaint here is about free, over-the-air and live FM radio not being available available.

Fair enough.

Though it occurs to me the carriers aren't going to have any incentive towards "allowing" free broadcast radio in place of purchased cellular data. Especially if they're not the ones selling the locked-out devices to consumers. I'm curious whether this practice is becoming common and anti-competitive enough to attract (reluctant) attention from CRTC.

If it's something that worked before but doesn't work now then something must have been changed. You can install different software, you can flash different firmware, you can buy different hardware, you can rollback updates, you can unlock, root, jailbreak, mod, and hack things. But you can't do anything about network-side obstacles other than subscribe to a different network.

Thiis isn't a network obstacle. It is unrelated to the Public Mobile service. This is purely a device software issue. Changing carriers will not enable the feature or change the software on the phone.

@mcfarlan 

Did you install the latest update a couple of weeks ago to your phone?

@Anonymous 

Oops did I almost spill the beans on our secret trip to Dubai? 🤣🤣🤣

@Korth wrote:

If it's something that worked before but doesn't work now then something must have been changed. 

Was it working on your current phone before?  What phone do you have ? 

@computergeek541 wrote:

There are a few apps that can use a phone's built-in FM receiver. None of them are going to work if Nextradio isn't working. For clarity, the OP is asking about non-streaming radio that doesn't use the internet.  I agree that streaming internet radio might be a good option, but I believe that the issue/complaint here is about free, over-the-air and live FM radio not being available available.

Fair enough.

Though it occurs to me the carriers aren't going to have any incentive towards "allowing" free broadcast radio in place of purchased cellular data. Especially if they're not the ones selling the locked-out devices to consumers. I'm curious whether this practice is becoming common and anti-competitive enough to attract (reluctant) attention from CRTC.

If it's something that worked before but doesn't work now then something must have been changed. You can install different software, you can flash different firmware, you can buy different hardware, you can rollback updates, you can unlock, root, jailbreak, mod, and hack things. But you can't do anything about network-side obstacles other than subscribe to a different network.

I agree it's greed .. and funny that even back in the years when built in FM was more popular, NA versions still like to take this away.

and now with Bluetooth headset replacing wired and no more headset jack, another excuse for manufacturer to not include this.

@Anonymous wrote:

@softech : Keep shopping. My 2020 Samsung A31 has radio and a headphone jack and the OEM app and runs A11 and it all works. darlicious has a couple phones with radio.

I think it totally sucks that manufacturers will disable a feature that is already there. Someone did that with my old Blackberry back then. wth

It's all greed and profit. Apple only has 1 device with a radio receiver an iPod MKN52C and I have one that I use when on a walk. No data, no wifi needed. But Apple wants you to buy Apple Music and I assume that Google has something like that too.  

It is very poor to not allow that option as others with lower income or a broken radio in their care would sure make good use out of it.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@mcfarlan 

Its important to note that both my 2017 A320 and @Anonymous  2020 A31 are international dual sim versions from the UAE. My moto g7+ is the 2020 NA variant that comes with enabled fm radio.

@mcfarlan : And for more clarity..._made_ for the UAE market...some small independent stores can get these international variants. It's not like we both went there and got the phones and brought them back 🙂

@mcfarlan 

Its important to note that both my 2017 A320 and @Anonymous  2020 A31 are international dual sim versions from the UAE. My moto g7+ is the 2020 NA variant that comes with enabled fm radio.

@Korth wrote:

The play stores are full of FM Radio apps, dozens to choose from on any device.

Some of them are free. Some generate revenue through purchase, subscription, or obnoxious ad revenue. Some focus on certain regions/content while locking out others.

Just keep trying different apps until you find one (or more) you like best.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : Keep shopping. My 2020 Samsung A31 has radio and a headphone jack and the OEM app and runs A11 and it all works. darlicious has a couple phones with radio.

I think it totally sucks that manufacturers will disable a feature that is already there. Someone did that with my old Blackberry back then. wth

The play stores are full of FM Radio apps, dozens to choose from on any device.

Some of them are free. Some generate revenue through purchase, subscription, or obnoxious ad revenue. Some focus on certain regions/content while locking out others.

Just keep trying different apps until you find one (or more) you like best.

@mcfarlan wrote:

The message from NextRadio is: "Let your carrier know that you'd like to listen to free FM radio on your phone with NextRadio.". That's what I'm trying to do.

This isn't a carrier issue. This feature is dependent on the software installed by the device manufacturer.  It's possible that if a device is sold by a carrier, they could.ask the manufactuer to disable the feature, but Public Mobile doesn't have it's own devices (other than a selection of certified pre-owned phones).

.. your carrier cannot do anything with it.

what kind of phone you are using?  not all phones have the FM module.  Most phones in the last 3 or 4 years don.t   you were able to use this app on this phone before?

mcfarlan

The message from NextRadio is: "Let your carrier know that you'd like to listen to free FM radio on your phone with NextRadio.". That's what I'm trying to do.

.. then most new phones took it away already

and it needs the wired earphone as the antenna.. wired headset no longer an option for new phones, too.

@softech wrote:

NextRadio is an app.

you meant you can's use it on PM Data?   What is your question again?  provide us more information.

(not sure if this app needs a FM chip on the phone.. if so, many new phones these days do not have this chip anymore)

Nextradio uses analog FM radio airwaves and doesn't use any type of internet connection.

Yes, Nextradio requires.the device to have an FM receiver.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

NextRadio is an app.

you meant you can's use it on PM Data?   What is your question again?  provide us more information.

(not sure if this app needs a FM chip on the phone.. if so, many new phones these days do not have this chip anymore)

@mcfarlan 

You could possibly install custom ROM but this will void any warranty and could damage your device.

Other than that, assuming that your device has FM receiver hardware, you could try to pressue the device manufacturer into enabling then featue.  Public Mobile has no control of this.

Need Help? Let's chat.