cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need text messages from my old phone.

chris_chan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently changed phone number because I moved to another province. I totally forgot to change my number on my Gmail accounts and now I can't login to my Gmail because of 2FA. How do I get my old messages if I already changed number?

9 REPLIES 9

@Odom4 

Did you try the solution?

Try this.....

If you have no backup options available, then you can fill out an account recover form.

Here is what google says to do if you have no backup available.

Sign in to your account with your username and password. On the verification code challenge page, click Other ways to get a verification code? Click "I no longer have access to any of these." You'll then need to fill out an account recovery form to verify ownership of the account. Take time to answer each question to the best of your ability. The form was designed to ensure that no one can gain access to your account except you. Since Google doesn't collect a lot of information about you when you sign up for an account, we will ask you questions like when you created your account, what Google services you use, and who you email frequently (if you use Gmail) to make certain you are authorized to access your account.

@Odom4 

Have you done this step?

https://support.google.com/accounts/troubleshooter/2402620#ts=2402626%2C2402728

Otherwise you can fill out a form and google will ask you verification questions. Just looking for the link.....

Odom4
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I need a verification code for my old phone number for my Google recover account

@chris_chan 

Try this.....

If you have no backup options available, then you can fill out an account recover form.

Here is what google says to do if you have no backup available.

Sign in to your account with your username and password. On the verification code challenge page, click Other ways to get a verification code? Click "I no longer have access to any of these." You'll then need to fill out an account recovery form to verify ownership of the account. Take time to answer each question to the best of your ability. The form was designed to ensure that no one can gain access to your account except you. Since Google doesn't collect a lot of information about you when you sign up for an account, we will ask you questions like when you created your account, what Google services you use, and who you email frequently (if you use Gmail) to make certain you are authorized to access your account.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@chris_chan wrote:

I recently changed phone number because I moved to another province. I totally forgot to change my number on my Gmail accounts and now I can't login to my Gmail because of 2FA. How do I get my old messages if I already changed number?

You have the same physical phone and you are on same carrier but changed the number. 

Boy.....what a mess.  Is there not another option to get into your Gmail account? Did you give Gmail an alternate email address to use for this issue? Does google have an answer for you?

chris_chan

It doesn't work email recovery doesn't show up because it defaults to 2FA check through mobile phone.

chris_chan

I have the same cellular device however I can't get any messages from my old number as the number is no longer in service. The other problem is that I can't recover my Gmail account through email recovery because it defaults on 2FA phone messages to my old number no matter what I try. I have no way of identifying as well because I use that account for Youtube of which I use an internet name so my legal name is not archived or connected. Admittedly, I should have underlyingly connected my name, but it is what it is, I'm presently not in that position to be able to do that.

Now the only way I can think of getting through the problem is to somehow getting codes for 2FA text messages from my old number without compromising my new number (as in the new number becomes out of service if I shift number on my cellular device).

@chris_chan 

Read the linked article on how to recover your google account when you no longer have access to your phone number. 

https://sites.google.com/view/recoverygmmailforgotpasswoord/

@chris_chan wrote:

By old phone, do you mean it's a different device?  If you didn't already perform a factory reset, you coudl simply turn on the old phone to view the messages that you need.  If it's simply a matter of you using the same device but changing the phone number, this phone number change wouldn't have deleted any of the text messages. 

Need Help? Let's chat.