cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm getting someone else's calls

AdamB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@CS_Agent For the last several months I've been getting someone else's calls. The calls come from many different numbers, and are all asking for the same person. I've talked to some of the people looking for the other person, and they say the other person's name is showing up on their call display, so I think this is a technical issue.

This is driving me nuts, I'm getting 5-10 calls a day now. The calls usually ring for a second and then stop. Wire must be getting crossed somewhere. Please help me resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Adam

17 REPLIES 17

AdamB

I was on the number for about a year (since the $40 for 4gb deal). Problems didn't start until 3 or 4 months ago.

AdamB

I don't think that's likely. I talked to several people that called me, and they number they called wasn't anything like mine.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

unless someone find out what the real issue was, it is kinda hard to fix it

From what I see in thread my *guess*

Person enabled call forwarding (either sometime in past they also had your Public number or they simply made a mistake and typed in wrong number)

So people are calling this other person then you are getting the calls 

If it is a broadcast type call forward this also will explain why many calls ring then stop (as other person is answering call on another phone)

GreatCanadian

That's understandable. The issue isn't with you, your phone, or Public Mobile. It's the other people who are calling you, mistakenly thinking that they are calling the previous owner of that number.

GC

How long have you used current number that keep getting wrong call?

AdamB

The "solution" was to assign me a new phone number 😞

@matbasmwrote:

Must agree with @Luddite.  It the callers are seeing someone else's name when they call you, then that indicates something is not right at the account level. You need to contact the moderators team.

The problem is you can never be certain of what other people are doing or how they're doing it.  For all you know, they've got the wrong (or old) number stored on one of their contacts - they click the contact name, they see the contact number, their phone correctly "misdials" the wrong person.  A problem with wetware, not hardware.

You can't safely assume other people (let alone strangers on the other end of the phone or internet) really have any clue what they're doing or what they're talking about.

AdamB

That's definitely what they told me. Haven't heard anything back yet, sending a message asking for an update right now.

@AdamBwrote:

Update:

I contacted the mods, and apparently, there was a problem porting my number over from one network type to another (HSPA to CDMA). They've created a ticket to have their technical team look into the issue, I'll update once I get the result from that.

I hope that's not what they told you because Public Mobile hasn't even used CDMA for years (and if anything, it would be cdma to hspa).  Hopefully, they can fix things up for you.

AdamB

Update:

I contacted the mods, and apparently, there was a problem porting my number over from one network type to another (HSPA to CDMA). They've created a ticket to have their technical team look into the issue, I'll update once I get the result from that.

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If the name is showing up when they call then it would be because it’s saved into their contacts. It’s possible that there’s a technical issue so worth messaging the mods but there could be a simpler solution. 

Did you ask them what number they’re trying to reach? Have you had this number long or did you recently take a new number?

Its possible whomever they are calling used to have your number before you did and hasn’t told his contacts he’s gotten a new one. 

matbasm

@AdamB.  Must agree with @Luddite.  It the callers are seeing someone else's name when they call you, then that indicates something is not right at the account level. You need to contact the moderators team.

MoraMan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Curious to know what's going on here. Please update us with what the mods say.

Think you'd best contact the moderators. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to them with your phone number, account PIN, and an explanation. Moderator hours are: Monday - Friday 9AM (ET) - 9PM (ET); Saturday - Sunday 9AM (ET) - 7:00PM (ET).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@AdamB, you have two options here:

1.  Block these numbers

2. Change your own number. 

AdamB

@CS_Agent For the last several months I've been getting someone else's calls. The calls come from many different numbers, and are all asking for the same person. I've talked to some of the people looking for the other person, and they say the other person's name is showing up on their call display, so I think this is a technical issue.

This is driving me nuts, I'm getting 5-10 calls a day now. The calls usually ring for a second and then stop. Wire must be getting crossed somewhere. Please help me resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Adam

Need Help? Let's chat.