cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm about to buy a nokia lumia 930, but the IMEI isnt working....

elderzerz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

the IMEI is 3*******************2

doesn't seem to find the phone. Tho the seller told me it's a verizon phone from the USA, but he's been using it in montreal for the past year, over Fido, Rogers and Bell network.... 

The IMEI doesnt trigger a "lost/stolen' message on the IMEI search... what should i do?

Cheers

15 REPLIES 15

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Yes, now you know.  🙂  

I also recommend you to browse thru the Community website to understand the recent problems people had with activating a new line and porting numbers from Telus/Koodo/PC mobile.  

The gist of it is that when you are activating your new sim, and you pay using a card you know is good, if you get an error.. do NOT try more than once to pay.  Don't try another card either.  Otherwise your card may get charged for each attempt and it will be an extra headache to get those charges reversed. This is a known issue some people are facing and you just gotta email PM and they will sort you out.  

Read this beforehand: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/We-re-sorry-we-re-experiencing-some-issu...

elderzerz

lol! thanks now that explains why its so low!!!!!!! ah ah!

imm1304

Once you activate the line, the network coverage and speeds are very impressive.. no complaints so far in that regards.  

The answer is yes, you can change to a different plan anytime.  BUT, you loose the money you already paid for the previous plan.  

So, if you select the 4GB plan, then its best to stick to that plan for the first 90 days.. you can select a different plan and choose the option to apply the new plan on your next billing date.  

Also, very important clarification:  please note that on the 90-day plans, the data listed is what you get for the 90 days.. NOT per month.  

So, the 1Gb $90 for 90 days plan comes with 1GB of data for the 90 days.. not for one month.  I hope after knowing this, you would want to stick to your first choice of 4GB plan.  

Hi. PM is a Prepaid Carrier. Also, You can build your Plan(s) the way you want. No Penalties, Zero Overages, Pure bliss

elderzerz

Alright, final question! btw this community is really amazing, i just hope the phone service is as good!

Can you build your plan and modify it along the way or there are penalties and stuff? Cause right now im looking at a 120$/90 days plan but im not certain i will need 4gb of data per month or only 1gb which would be 90$/90 days; Would i be able to start with 1gb and move to 4gb later or that isn't possible?

Thanks

imm1304

Yes, it is possible.  If I remember correctly, most of these Lumia phones were sold factory unlocked.  So its believable.  

Also, the subtle difference in bands makes the Lumia Icon fully compatibel with PM's 3G and LTE networks.  The Lumia 930 would not have worked wit the LTE part of the network.  The IMEI is clean as per the blacklist search.  Chances are high that the phone will work.. but if you want to be absolutely sure, just test it with a currently active PM sim.  

elderzerz

Alright, that being said, the seller doesn't recall unlocking the device, yet he (so he says) managed to use it over fido and bell's network.... is it possible? 

imm1304

@elderzerz the Lumia Icon is the verizon version.. if it is indeed the Icon and not the 930, then the LTE will work on PM network.. it does have all the right bands.  In comparison, the 930 doesn't have the right LTE band.  Thats a relevant difference between those two as shown in the link you posted.  

elderzerz

Yup, the phone is adverized as Lumia Icon or Lumia 930 (pratically the same specs)
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Nokia-Lumia-930,Nokia-Lumia-Icon/phones/8571,8160

as advertised :

It has served me well on my travels. In very good condition with a bit of scratches at the edges and normal use. Two thin/small scratches on the screen.

Comes with all the accessories. Extras are the wireless charging pad, hard case, PortaPow Fast Charge USB Cable and screen protector.

It is a Verizon phone. I have tried and works with Rogers, Fido and Bell. MMS may not work properly as you have to set the APN yourself. It works with following bands:

CDMA: 800, 1900 MHz
GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
UMTS: 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz
FDD LTE: 700 (band 13), 1700/2100 (band 4) MHz

Please email me if you're interested. Fixed price.
Veuillez m'envoyer un courriel si vous êtes intéressé. Prix est ferme.

imm1304

@makkahn28  the phone does support 850 AND 1900 bands for 3G: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_930-6227.php

I dont think @elderzerz wants a flip phone.  The 930 lumia he is looking at is a 5" fully featured high end phone (from last year) .. the problem is with the IMEI of that phone.. its showing up as old nokia flip phone based on the IMEI number.  

Hi. Here's the scoop: Because this phone ONLY supports 1900 MHZ, the Coverage will NOT be thorough, but Reduced. Best to purchase a Telus Prepaid Alcatel One touch Flip phone.

2 year warranty, plus guaranteed to work on PM's HSPA+4G Network 

imm1304

@elderzerz, I dont think that will work.. before activating the sim card, the phone will just say "No Service"

It would be best if you know someone on the PM network already who can let you test using their sim card.  

elderzerz

Thanks,

i ordered a PM sim card ; can i test the phone comptability with PM even if I havent activated my line?

Thanks!

Hi. Another site, www.willmyphonework.net is also another way to search as well

imm1304

Hey @elderzerz, I just did a search on the IMEI you provided.  The result shows its a Nokia flip phone model number 9290.  Have a look:  http://www.imei.info/?imei=358331051031042  

Of course, it could be an error of imei.info, or there is small chance that Lumia 930 may have a bad IMEI that was changed.  According to the GSM arena, this phone model doesn't have the LTE band 4 1700/2100 MHz, so you will be stuck with 3G/H+ data, which is not too bad to be honest.  

The PM website's check your phone option is returning no result for this IMEI.  I would recommend you don't buy this phone unless you are first able to insert a PM sim and confirm that it works.  

Need Help? Let's chat.