cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like to purchase a 1+ 5t, I already have a Public Mobile account with an iPhone 6.

MrMediocrity
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I activate the new phone with the new SIM card, will I still be able to continue with my current plan? It's a promotional plan I got last year and I don't want to lose it. Also, does anybody know if Public supportd the 1+ 5t yet? Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JDT@will13am thanks for linking my thread.  🙂

@MrMediocrity as @ShawnC13 and @JDT noted, you can just move the card over to the 5T (or Essential PH-1, or really any other phone).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

MrMediocrity
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'd prefer not to switch providers, as my current plan with public is awesome. $40/month, 4gb LTE data unlimited talk and text Canada wide. Plus it's $9/month cheaper because of autopay discounts.

Koodo seems to be blocked at my school, would you mind giving me a rundown of what they offer?

Poor screen, slow camera, no Daydream, no water/dust resistance, smaller battery

An S8 or V30 will blow it away.

Really its biggest features are easily countered by others (stock Android is a root away on most phones, and the bezel/screen design is hardly awe inspiring)

Telus made a mistake with this as an exclusive so it is hardly surprising to find it in the bargain bins at Koodo already as OnePlus generates far more hype & success

@will13am wrote:

Consider the essential phone.  $360 via Koodo.  Pretty hard to pass up at that price.  I would get one but my credit card has already suffered a lot of wear.  I need to pace myself going into boxing week.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@MrMediocrity, the switch is no big deal and the only reason you would need to purchase a new sim is your old sim didn't fit into the new phone.  You said you are on a promo plan so that should be a triple punch SIM anyway so if it is Micro Sim size you can still punch out hte centre to the smaller Nano size so there shouldn't be a need to buy a new SIM.  If/when you get the OP5T post your experiences I am gathering data for my next phone lol

Consider the essential phone.  $360 via Koodo.  Pretty hard to pass up at that price.  I would get one but my credit card has already suffered a lot of wear.  I need to pace myself going into boxing week.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@MrMediocrity, the switch is no big deal and the only reason you would need to purchase a new sim is your old sim didn't fit into the new phone.  You said you are on a promo plan so that should be a triple punch SIM anyway so if it is Micro Sim size you can still punch out hte centre to the smaller Nano size so there shouldn't be a need to buy a new SIM.  If/when you get the OP5T post your experiences I am gathering data for my next phone lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@MrMediocrity, if you have any doubts about using the one plus 5T on this service, take a look through this thread.  One of our former oracles just got a 5T and is posting his user experience.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Confirmed-OnePlus-5T-works-great-on-P...

JDT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Based on this post, the OnePlus 5T does work with Public Mobile: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Confirmed-OnePlus-5T-works-great-on-P...

If you want to keep your same plan and number, you will just need to transfer the SIM card from your existing phone into your new OnePlus 5T - you wouldn't need a new SIM card.

If you are activating a second number with a new SIM card (i.e. keeping your iPhone 6 active), then you will need to sign up with a current plan and won't be able to get the same promotional plan that you have now.  Similarly, if you activate a new SIM for your new OnePlus 5T and port the phone number from your iPhone over, then your current account with the promotional plan would be deactivated.

Need Help? Let's chat.