cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't make phone calls

aurevoirblue
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I've seen this question posted on the boards, but can't find a solution. I'm new to Public and this is only my first month, so if anyone could please provide me with a solution to this, I'd appreciate it.

Problem is: I can't make any phone calls. It just hangs up without going through. Also, keep getting a "new voicemail" notification but when I dial it hangs up.

I've tried: Power cycling, removing the sim and restarting. Nothing's working

I did transfer my number from my other carrier, but that was a month ago, so don't think that's an issue. What's the problem, and how do I fix this asap?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

aneelrajani
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

For anyone else having this issue after 4-6hrs of requesting the port, I had to

a) power off my phone

b) remove the sim card

c) turn on the phone without the sim card

d) turn the phone back off

e) put the sim card back in the phone

f) turn the phone on

not sure how that fixed it, but i've heard of others on Android 8.x have to do similar things.

@aurevoirblue wrote:

Hi,

I've seen this question posted on the boards, but can't find a solution. I'm new to Public and this is only my first month, so if anyone could please provide me with a solution to this, I'd appreciate it.

Problem is: I can't make any phone calls. It just hangs up without going through. Also, keep getting a "new voicemail" notification but when I dial it hangs up.

I did transfer my number from my other carrier, but that was a month ago, so don't think that's an issue. What's the problem, and how do I fix this asap?

Thanks

@aurevoirblue wrote:

Thanks for the reply @geopublic 

I do see that it's set to LTE - how do I set this to 3G?

@aurevoirblue  

moto e4 plus™ - Network Mode Settings
  1. From a Home screen, swipe up to access all apps.
  2. Navigate: Settings > More.
  3. Tap Cellular networks.
  4. Tap Preferred network type.
  5. Tap the appropriate setting: LTE/CDMA. This is the default setting for this device. LTE/GSM/UMTS.

The setting should be LTE/GSM/UMTS

aurevoirblue

Nevermind, just figured it out. Tried it out and it works! 

Thanks so much for the prompt replies and help @Anonymous  and @geopublic !

aurevoirblue

Thanks for the reply @geopublic 

I do see that it's set to LTE - how do I set this to 3G?

aurevoirblue

Phone make/model: Moto E4/ xT1767 (if that helps)

Data works fine, and text in/out works too

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@aurevoirblue wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

@aurevoirblue  For calling Public uses 3G so make sure you don't have your phone set to connect using LTE only. That would explain why data and texts are working but not talk.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aurevoirblue wrote:

Moto E4

What about calls in/out, texts in/out, internet browsing/MMS?

aurevoirblue

Moto E4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aurevoirblue wrote:

Thanks for the reply @Anonymous  My plan is:

- 500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed
- Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
- Unlimited International Text

I didn't try until just now, so I'm assuming it's always been. I've been receiving texts from Public just fine, so I think TM's work

What exact make/model/submodel is the phone?

aurevoirblue

Thanks for the reply @Anonymous  My plan is:

- 500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed
- Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
- Unlimited International Text

I didn't try until just now, so I'm assuming it's always been. I've been receiving texts from Public just fine, so I think TM's work

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aurevoirblue wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

What plan are you on?

Did this just happen or has it never worked here?

Need Help? Let's chat.