cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can’t connect to network to make calls or use data

Crizzychris
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think I need a new SIM card.  How do I go about this?

18 REPLIES 18

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Crizzychris wrote:

Great they ended up giving me another phone.  It works now!  Probably just a **bleep**ty antenna.  I’m glad to have a working phone. Thanks everyone!

c

@Crizzychris I'm glad to hear that!  I know some of the 6/6S models had issues with antennas that would intermittently disconnect--I guess that extends to the SE as well?  I think it's from about that same era, isn't it.  Glad you got it resolved.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Crizzychris

Great they ended up giving me another phone.  It works now!  Probably just a **bleep**ty antenna.  I’m glad to have a working phone. Thanks everyone!

c

srlawren

@Crizzychris how did it go with the "geniuses"?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Crizzychris

My wife’s SIM didn’t work last night either.  I just want to make sure I’m going in with all relevant info when I meet the genius in 20 minutes thanks for your response.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Crizzychris wrote:

It must be the phone.  Off to a retail service for another phone I suspect considering this one less than a month old.

Since it's a month old, surely it's covered under AppleCare, right?  Did Apple provide a diagnosis?

When I encounter "No Service" (whether consistent or intermittent) on an iPhone without any other cause (after validating good SIM), it's almost always the device that's at fault. I'm not sure what PM/mods could help with at this point, especially if your SIM works fine in your Wife's phone. I couldn't deduce from your posts in this thread, but what happened when you put your wife's SIM into your phone? Same thing?

Crizzychris

@CS_Agent

Is there anything that you can help with.  I’ve gotten a diagnosis and there’s nothing that came up.

thanks c

Crizzychris

After getting a new SIM I’m still having the same issue.

- I checked the SIM card in my wife’s phone.

-updated iOS 

-made the carrier version was up to date.

-reset network settings.

-chatted with apple support.  Turns out I did all the appropriate steps.

It must be the phone.  Off to a retail service for another phone I suspect considering this one less than a month old.

thanks for all the suggestions.

CalgaryBen

@Luddite wrote:

@CalgaryBen Also have an SE and I'm on carrier 32.0, BUT still using iOS 11.4. 

I think the carrier profile may also have compatibility/iOS dependencies, so 32.0 might be the highest for iOS 11.x, while 33.0 requires iOS 12+.  Just a guess though... would love to be able to sneak a peek inside a carrier profile file...

Since I've disabled automatic updates, I often check Software Updates for new versions of iOS. I remember being offered to update carrier settings in the past, but in recent months, I've seen my iPhone SE "automagically" upgrade from Public Mobile 33.0 to 34.0 to now 35.0!

@CalgaryBen Also have an SE and I'm on carrier 32.0, BUT still using iOS 11.4. Quickest way to check for a carrier update is Settiings >> General >> About; if a carrier update is available it will be offered.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

CalgaryBen

@srlawren wrote:

@Crizzychris maybe it needed a carrier update?

Despite having automatic updates turned off, I've found that carrier updates just go through nowadays... not sure if carriers have control over it, or a previous iOS update took it out of the hands of the user (which is probably not a terrible thing).  Currently on carrier profile Public Mobile 35.0.

@Crizzychris are you seeing "No Service" or "No SIM" or "Invalid SIM" or something else?  As mentioned, the SIM can definitely fail as it's considered a "consumable", so you're on the right track to try a replacement.  Sometimes cleaning/buffing the contacts may help.  When it fails, do you see anything in Settings -> General -> About under ICCID?  This gives some clues as to whether the SIM's ID is being read...

Crizzychris

Back to no service.  My wife’s picking up a new SIM for me and report back.  I’ll check to see about the update to.  It’s a good thought.

c

srlawren

@Crizzychris maybe it needed a carrier update?  I'm not an iOS guy so can't say for sure.  Maybe someone like @CalgaryBen or @Luddite could mention if there have been any recent carrier updates from Apple for PM?

Crizzychris

I have a iPhone se. It’s new a month ago.  I got it to work again we’ll see for how long.  After taking the SIM card out, restarting and putting it back in many times.  I did deactivate my phone on the site and reactivated it after awhile.  Then I forgot my phone in the car for a few hours. Came home switched SIM with my wife’s phone. She’s also on public mobile.  Both SIM cards worked in the switched phones.  My phone told me it updated which doesn’t make much sense to me.  I then put the sims back in there phones and voila it’s connecting again.  So I can’t say for sure what worked but I may be auto updated that messed with my network.  I’ve been dropping Service for a couple weeks.  I’m going to get a new SIM tomorrow to rule it out.    

Thanks for the suggestions!

c

@srlawren wrote:

@krazykiwi I don't think the lost/found would fix this since it's (or it was) intermittent, but I suppose it's worth trying.

@Crizzychris SIM cards can and occasionally do fail so it's possible that's your issue.  Did you say it's not working at all now with your new phone?  Out of curiosity, did you confirm the new phone is compatible (via https://www.willmyphonework.net), and is not locked to another provider?

I agree, just trying to see what stage they got to. Thinking it is a port issue if they attempted that. Responded in the wrong thread.

I did not either as I mentioned, but did not see any harm in trying. 

EDIT: From what I see, they are right, the sim may be faulty.

srlawren

@krazykiwi I don't think the lost/found would fix this since it's (or it was) intermittent, but I suppose it's worth trying.

@Crizzychris SIM cards can and occasionally do fail so it's possible that's your issue.  Did you say it's not working at all now with your new phone?  Out of curiosity, did you confirm the new phone is compatible (via https://www.willmyphonework.net), and is not locked to another provider?

@Crizzychris wrote:

I’m a exsisting customer.  For a couple years now.  It’s been spotty and pulling it out, restarting and reinstalling it worked for awhile now it just doesn’t.  I suppose I’m trouble shooting and seems like a logical step.  It’s a brand new phone.

If you have gone over @srlawren post and have had no luck try resetting your account. It probably won't do anything but can't hurt.

Login to self serve - Plan & add-ons - Lost/Stolen phone - Suspend service.
Logout and wait a few minutes then login and select found phone.
This will not blacklist your phone.

To replace your sim you just need to buy a new sim, login to your self serve account and click on replace sim.

If either response to your particular request leads to the resolution of your issue , please help other community members by marking that post as the solution. Thank You

Crizzychris

I’m a exsisting customer.  For a couple years now.  It’s been spotty and pulling it out, restarting and reinstalling it worked for awhile now it just doesn’t.  I suppose I’m trouble shooting and seems like a logical step.  It’s a brand new phone.

srlawren

@Crizzychris you can see your options in point 2. of this page: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started.

Why do you think you need a new SIM card?  Are you a new customer and your service isn't working after activating?  Or are you an existing customer and your service stopped?

EDIT: if you are a new customer, can you please have a look here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/SIM-Card-Not-Working/m-p/303772/highl...

Need Help? Let's chat.