cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can make but I can't receive calls or texts

bvelasco
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just opened a new account yesterday. I transferred my number from Rogers and everything looked fine. I was able to make calls, my account days it's active and the number people receive is my old Rogers number. Today I had an emergency and nobody was able to contact me. When I tried to call my number it says my number is out of service even though I can use it. I've restarted my phone and pulled out and put the sim back in and nothing

27 REPLIES 27

@bvelasco wrote:

Sorry if people were still trying to respond to my post. It got resolved a few days ago already. I alreday had ported the number when I switched myself. I just needed Rogers to reactivate it and the moderators handeled the rest. 

Good news!

bvelasco

Sorry if people were still trying to respond to my post. It got resolved a few days ago already. I alreday had ported the number when I switched myself. I just needed Rogers to reactivate it and the moderators handeled the rest. 

@DanielBCooper wrote:

I cant receive call or change my phone number

Ok you need to write again to the moderator..if not already done...https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437..or reply in the message you have receivesd from the moderator earlier.

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DanielBCooper wrote:

You created the mess now be Patient. Your Second Port attempt should go through now because now you number is active and you are the owner of a Working Number with Rogers. 

Think about it for a second when you cancelled your Rogers Service you were no longer an owner of a Working Number. So how would you think a Provider you going to will be able to Port a Number that is no longer active and no longer yours. 

DanielBCooper
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

DanielBCooper
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Omg my texting works but i cant recieve calls ans now I cant open my private message how can I receive support now this ia not fair I have paid doe my second month of unlimited talk ans text and still no help 

@bvelasco wrote:

Ok, I reactivated the old phone number. I still can't receive calls and texts. It's there a wait period or is there something to do on this side still?

Sorry, but it's not going to happen automatically. As your original nubmer portability request failed, you will need to use the instructions that Lieux provided earlier to contact the moderators by private message.

Be sure to give the moderator your Rogers account number.

@819cookie wrote:

Try this: Set up your voicemail box.Add your name by speaking it yourself.

Then wait 30 minutes. 

See if you receive a text from public mobile saying the number has been transferred. 

Unfortunately, calling your voicemail can't fix a failed number port.

819cookie

Yes, But you can do it yourself in Plans and Addons, then Change Phone number. 

It worked for me and my friends. As long as you have your old rogers/bell whatever company account number which you would get by callng them

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi Bo, 

Thanks for authenticating your account. 

My name is Maria and I'm happy to assist you. 

As understand you have already resumed service with Rogers and that now the account is active with them, I have resubmitted the port request.  

If there are no more issues, the port should be completed within 30 minutes to 2.5 hours. Once completed successfully, you would be receiving a text message. 

We remain at your service. 

Kind regards, 

Maria L. 

Public Mobile Moderator. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bvelasco wrote:

So the old number was cancelled so nobody but Rogers could use it. They needed to reactivate it but porting numbers between providers isn't a thing apparently. So reactivating it basically puts the number back in the wild in a sense if I understand this correctly.

Each provider has a pool of numbers that their customers can choose from. When a customer lets it expire from use then it goes back into that pool for another customer to use.

Transfering or "porting" is a thing. How else can a customer use their number under another provider?

Reactivating a number into an active account of the original provider lets the owner of the active account transfer it.

Letting a number deactivate, that came from the pool of another provider, will be returned to that original provider for re-use in their pool of numbers.

That's the way I understand it anyway 🙂

bvelasco

So the old number was cancelled so nobody but Rogers could use it. They needed to reactivate it but porting numbers between providers isn't a thing apparently. So reactivating it basically puts the number back in the wild in a sense if I understand this correctly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@819cookie wrote:

Then wait 30 minutes. 

See if you receive a text from public mobile saying the number has been transferred. 

I'm under the impression that porting is kind of a hands-on manual job for the receiving provider. But I could of course be wrong.

So I would be very interested in hearing if this is a triggering workaround to hurry up a port. Clever if it works. Let's hope someone tries it and reports their results on the forum.

819cookie

Also how did you port it?

All you need to do is ask Rogers for your account number. 

Then log into public mobile. 

Click plans and addons.

Click change phone number.

Then enter your old (rogers) phone number, rogers account number, and name associated with that acount. 

Then wait 30mins - 1 hr. 

819cookie

Then wait 30 minutes. 

@bvelasco wrote:

Ok, I reactivated the old phone number. I still can't receive calls and texts. It's there a wait period or is there something to do on this side still?

You need to make another request to port your number..I would do it with the moderator..here..https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437..they will do it for you. But waiting time is few hours to 2 days..be patient.

bvelasco

@819cookie wrote:

Yes you can try doing that.

1. Call rogers and ask for your number back

OR

2. Contact the admins on Public Mobile and ask is your old number available.

* But i think option 1 is quicker since you can talk to a person right away rather than waiting for the online admins to respond. That will secure your old number faster. For future number changing, don't cancel any service before you change numbers. 

I would not ask Public Mobile about the number. Public Mobile can't do anything about this because it is a Rogers phone number.  The only company who get this phone number reactivated is Rogers.

819cookie

Yes you can try doing that.

1. Call rogers and ask for your number back

OR

2. Contact the admins on Public Mobile and ask is your old number available.

* But i think option 1 is quicker since you can talk to a person right away rather than waiting for the online admins to respond. That will secure your old number faster. For future number changing, don't cancel any service before you change numbers. 

@bvelasco wrote:

My Rogers number was active when I signed up. I transferred the number after I cancelled my Rogers plan

This would explain why the number is out of service.  You shouldn't have done that. What this did was cancel the Rogers service before the number had been ported to Public Mobile.  This means that Public Mobile never had possession of the number and the porting request will fail.

To answer your question, yes you will have to contact Rogers to reactivate your Rogers service.  After you do that, then you'll have to make another request to have the phone number transfered to Public Mobile.

bvelasco

Ok, so what are my steps then? I call Rogers them reactivate the number, then what?

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bvelasco wrote:

My Rogers number was active when I signed up. I transferred the number after I cancelled my Rogers plan

When porting a number from one carrier to another, the line must be active on the old carrier.  The line should not be cancelled.  The port will automatically cancel the line with the previous carrier.

bvelasco

819cookie

was your Rogers number still active when you got your Public Mobile number?

It should be active, then you call Rogers to have them give you the port #'s. 

bvelasco

I did make a call yesterday

@bvelasco wrote:

I just opened a new account yesterday. I transferred my number from Rogers and everything looked fine. I was able to make calls, my account days it's active and the number people receive is my old Rogers number. Today I had an emergency and nobody was able to contact me. When I tried to call my number it says my number is out of service even though I can use it. I've restarted my phone and pulled out and put the sim back in and nothing

If your Rogers number was active when you made the number portability request and you never contacted Rogers to contact your Rogers service (which you shouldn't have), this is a failed port, but not because of Rogers, but more likely because of Public Mobile.

The fact that your Rogers service no longer works would mean that the phone number has been released to Public Mobile.  If it were still active, people would be hearing your Rogers voicemail whe calling your number.  Just in case, try reinserting your Rogers sim card to see if it still works, but I doubt that it does.

If the number has been released to Public Mobile as I suspect that it is, the only suggesting that I have would be to log into your self-serve account, report your phone as lost/stolen, and then tell the self-serve system a few minutes later that you found your device and reactivate the Public Mobile service.  This sometimes resets things to clear strange system glitches.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to contact Public Mobile's moderators.  That can be done by clicking this web address link:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bvelasco wrote:

Were people able to call you yesterday on the Public Mobile number? Could be stuck port?   Send private message to mods click here

Need Help? Let's chat.