Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am unable to receive or send texts unless I am on Wi-Fi

Tedward999
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

14 REPLIES 14

kewimpu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Here is some info about troubleshooting message blocking is active e issue on both iOS and Android devices.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Tedward999 wrote:

It’s set to phone number. I just found i can send texts to some people but not all

You are using iPhone iMessage to send and receive text messages.  You need to configure your iPhone iMessage settings as follows in order for your friends using Android phone to send and receive your messages:

Under iPhone Messages settings:
iMessage = enabled

SMS/MMS
MMS Messaging = enabled
Group Messaging = enabled
All other Messages settings are disabled

How do you know what message type you are sending or receiving on iPhone?
Messages with green bubbles are normal SMS/MMS text messages.
Message with blue bubbles are sent via the iMessage

When sending and receiving iMessage messages, your need WiFi or mobile data to send/receive iMessage messages.  

In order to use mobile data when you are not on WiFi, you need to enable data on your iPhone and your iPhone APN must be set correctly.

To setup your APN correctly, you may need to connect your iPhone 8 to iTune running on a computer to update your PM specific carrier file and restart your phone to configure your APN setting automactially.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Tedward999  also since it's not all contacts. Take one you can't send a text to and completely delete them from your contacts. Not just from your phone but off the cloud. Then add them as a new contact again. See if that resolves your issue.

@Tedward999  check the contact that you can't text. See what options you have to reach them. Maybe it's only their email and not their number.

Tedward999

It’s set to phone number. I just found i can send texts to some people but not all

@Tedward999  is your number set for messages?

Or do you have it set to email?

Something like the below.

ios13-ipad-pro-settings-messages-imessage-send-receive.jpg

@Tedward999 

Sign out of every Apple service and device that uses your Apple ID, except the one you're using to change your Apple ID.
Go to Settings > [your name] > Name, Phone Numbers, Email.
Next to Reachable At, tap Edit > Delete.
Tap Continue and follow the instructions.
After you enter the mobile phone number that you want to use as your Apple ID, a verification code is sent to you at that number. Enter the verification code from the text into the fields provided.
Sign back in to all Apple services with your new Apple ID.

Tedward999

I tried turning of imessage and i get a message that says IMessage needs to be enabled to send message

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Tedward999 ,

• If you don’t have a data plan, or turn your data off occasionally, then it is recommended to turn off iMessage altogether and use regular text messaging instead. To do this, go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage off.
  • If you prefer to use iMessage, then you can perform the following steps to fix the issue:
    • Connect to the internet using WiFi or Data.
    • Go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage OFF.
    • Turn your iPhone off completely, then turn it back on.
    • Go back into Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage ON.
    • Make sure “Send as SMS” is also turned ON.

@Tedward999 

Is it possible that your contact you're trying to message is only displaying an email for iPhone and not their phone number? This can happen sometimes.

Try this. Turn off iMessage. Then reboot phone. Once it loads back up turn iMessage back on and see if it now displays both their number and email.

Tedward999

Iphone 8. Thank you for helping 

@Tedward999 wrote:

I have both SMS and MMS on. 

What kind of phone do you have?

Tedward999

I have both SMS and MMS on. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Tedward999 

Sounds like you have an iPhone and are using iMessage which works on WiFi or data.

Change your settings to include SMS and MMS in your phone settings.

IMG_20201102_192347.png

Need Help? Let's chat.