cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am not getting the Amber Alert

Lor
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

I'm worried that I have not been receiving the amber alerts since day 1.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo phone.  I connect to a LTE+ network.

Can you give me any tips as to what to do?  I'm wondering if it's because my phone is an older model.  Is there anything I can check to turn it on?

thank you

Lorin

14 REPLIES 14

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Here is some info on the Alerts from Telus. Not PM, but it's something.

https://www.telus.com/en/on/support/article/alert-ready-faq

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I did not get it either. it is because of the phone brand?

@srlawren, sure, let us know how it goes!

electrical2771

My wife has a 3 month old Samsung Galaxy J3 and is on the PM network and did NOT get the amber alert.........something to keep in mind for future phone and service provider choices.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sheytoon wrote:

As far as I know, disabling WPAS on the phone will not have any impact on receiving alerts. Canadian operators will deliver the alerts to all capable devices on LTE.

@sheytoon oh?  interesting.  Next time there's a test I know about ahead of time, I will try turning mine off to see.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

As far as I know, disabling WPAS on the phone will not have any impact on receiving alerts. Canadian operators will deliver the alerts to all capable devices on LTE.

Lor

My phone does not have that setting

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@slash407 wrote:

your worried that ur NOT getting them? lmao are you serious, they are a pain in the ass, people hate them, you must have got a phone from overseas that doesnt have that over the top nonsense embedded into their software. 

It WILL wake u up from sleep if it goes off. I can only imagine the battery drain to if u leave it in the basement and it rings all night, gosh. Slaves to the government. Heck it might blow out your speakers its so loud

@slash407 

If it helps find a missing kid..id say its worth the issues it causes that you mentioned......

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am, I’m surprised this is an option.  The idea behind these alerts is for every compatible phone to get and make the user aware.

The S5 is ancient.  That may have something to do with it.  Then of course, it is up to the app developer to comply with statutes if there are any governing emergency alerts.  My google messaging app only allows me to delete alerts that have been received to date.  There are no other features related to emergency alerts.

@will13am, I’m surprised this is an option.  The idea behind these alerts is for every compatible phone to get and make the user aware.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It looks like the amber alerts can be turned off on the galaxy s5.  Check this setting.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-galaxy-s5-guide,review-2821-9.html

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Lor, checkout alertready.ca for more information.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I think your phone may not be compatible with the system.  Saying this, my last phone was not on the compatible list, and it did get the message during the second testing.

I got the alert early this evening, in my apartment.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@Lor Go to Settings --> Messages --> Emergency alerts Make sure all alerts are checked. If they already are uncheck them, close Settings, wait 30 seconds, then go back and turn them back on.
Need Help? Let's chat.