cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei 6s - Cannot make calls after switching from Fido to PM?

MLSU
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello!

I'm using a Huawei 6s, and recently transferred from Fido to PM. The top bar/menu shows Public Mobile, 4G network; can send/receive text msg; data should work. However, I cannot make phone calls!!! Cannot call in/out!? Please help. Is my phone not compatible with PM's network? I entered the APN info but it doesn't help.

Appreciate any assistance!

19 REPLIES 19

@computergeek541 wrote:

Does Telus even have any Band 38 on LTE?

Definitely not!

MLSU
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@will13am Thank you for your research! I tried my SIM on older phone (Moto G - I believe it's 1st gen, unlocked)...everything worked! However would prefer to use my Huawei6s longer if possible... Unfortunately looks like it's incompatible with PM?! 

Time for a new phone I guess!

@computergeek541 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@MLSU wrote:

Hello!

I'm using a Huawei 6s, and recently transferred from Fido to PM. The top bar/menu shows Public Mobile, 4G network; can send/receive text msg; data should work. However, I cannot make phone calls!!! Cannot call in/out!? Please help. Is my phone not compatible with PM's network? I entered the APN info but it doesn't help.

@MLSU  PM uses 3G for calls. That phone does not have any of the required 3G bands. If you insert your sim in a compatible phone it should start working. Time for a new phone.

I'm not sure which version/variant of the Huawei 6s is this member is uisng, but it look like at least one of them does have UMTS band 2, which would work for phone calls.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/models/A1oJY/huawei-enjoy-6s-lte-a-dig-l01-huawei-diego

I'm not sure how many different versions of this device there are, but it is entirely possible that the OP's phone doesn't have either of UMTS band 2 or 5.

The only version that I could find is the Pakistan version. The link above suggests that it might also support the LTE B7 so maybe that is why it can connect to PM's LTE. I think the only reason it worked on Fido was because of 2G.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

4G LTE B1(2100)B3 (1800)B38 (TDD 2600)B39 (TDD 1900)B40 (TDD 2300)B41 (TDD 2500)

3G

B1 (2100)B8 (900)B34 (TD 2000)B39 (TD 1900+)

2G CDMA BC0 (800)B2 (1900)B3 (1800)B8 (900)

Does Telus even have any Band 38 on LTE?  I'm not sure that those specs match the OP's device because I'm not sure which LTE band would the member be connecting to.

Once again the disappearing customer. This is why I asked long ago which specific make/submodel they had. Meanwhile we're having a specs war. The OP has *some* functioning.

@geopublic wrote:

4G LTE B1(2100)B3 (1800)B38 (TDD 2600)B39 (TDD 1900)B40 (TDD 2300)B41 (TDD 2500)

3G

Does Telus even have any Band 38 on LTE?  I'm not sure that those specs match the OP's device because I'm not sure which LTE band would the member be connecting to.

3G

@geopublic wrote:

@MLSU wrote:

Hello!

@MLSU  PM uses 3G for calls. That phone does not have any of the required 3G bands. If you insert your sim in a compatible phone it should start working. Time for a new phone.

I'm not sure which version/variant of the Huawei 6s is this member is uisng, but it look like at least one of them does have UMTS band 2, which would work for phone calls.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/models/A1oJY/huawei-enjoy-6s-lte-a-dig-l01-huawei-diego

I'm not sure how many different versions of this device there are, but it is entirely possible that the OP's phone doesn't have either of UMTS band 2 or 5.

@geopublic wrote:

@MLSU wrote:

Hello!

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@MLSU wrote:

Hello!

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Recognizing that 3G is used for calling until recently and only on some carrier brands, no phone has LTE only mode. The fact that both incoming and outgoing text works means it's not a number porting issue.  I haven't seen it for some time, accounts can have provisioning problems which affect the calling feature.  I would consider asking the moderator team to do an account reset to see if that resolves the calling problem.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

You're right about LTE-only mode not being in the regular menus.  However, in the secret/hidden Android menus on some devices, that mode can be set, which would disable phone calls at Public Mobile.

I did some further thinking.  Perhaps the phone is stuck in LTE mode because of compatibility issues on 3G.  Gsmarena information suggests this is the reason.

@will13am wrote:

Recognizing that 3G is used for calling until recently and only on some carrier brands, no phone has LTE only mode. The fact that both incoming and outgoing text works means it's not a number porting issue.  I haven't seen it for some time, accounts can have provisioning problems which affect the calling feature.  I would consider asking the moderator team to do an account reset to see if that resolves the calling problem.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

You're right about LTE-only mode not being in the regular menus.  However, in the secret/hidden Android menus on some devices, that mode can be set, which would disable phone calls at Public Mobile.

@mimmo wrote:

@MLSU  could you take a screenshot of your plan details? And maybe the payment history? 

Are you on a limited calling plan ie the 10$ plan?

Did you select a ready made plan or did you use the plan builder?

That also leads to another though about if a plan without calling was taken by mistake. It's not as hard for that to happen as we might think, because there have been times when there have been been more than one Ready-made plan for the same price.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Edit: I found the problem.  This phone is not compatible on the 3G network.  

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_enjoy_6s-8458.php

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MLSU  could you take a screenshot of your plan details? And maybe the payment history? 

Are you on a limited calling plan ie the 10$ plan?

Did you select a ready made plan or did you use the plan builder?

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Best bet is it's a PM issue on their end. Best to contact a moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MLSU wrote:

Hello!

Usually on transferring, the inbound doesn't work for either text or voice.

APN doesn't do anything for voice.

Do you have a full model/submodel description for that phone?

Please re-check calls in/out, texts in/out and internet browsing/MMS.

@tehowennathe wrote:

Is your phone unlocked? Being that you came from Fido it should work. I came to PM from Rogers and it works. If your phone is unlocked it should work. It may be that your phone isn't unlocked.

The customer has been using text messaging services. This means that the phone is indeed unlocked.

@MLSU wrote:

Hello!

Unless you data services aren't working, this isn't any reason to touch your APN settings.  APN settings don't affect the ability to make phone calls.

There are couple of possibilities.  One possibility could be that your phone is set to LTE only mode.  If that's the case, text messaginng and data will work, but phone calls will not.  The second thing that could cause this would be a network provisioning issue on Public Mobile's end.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is your phone unlocked? Being that you came from Fido it should work. I came to PM from Rogers and it works. If your phone is unlocked it should work. It may be that your phone isn't unlocked.

Need Help? Let's chat.