cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DinoWPG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How to update Android on AT&T unlocked phone

Hi,

I bought an AT&T unlocked phone (LG Velvet 5g). I tried to update to Android 11 & it says the phone is up to date.

The AT&T support site says I need an AT&T SIM to connect to their network for the update to work. 

I'm in Winnipeg, I have no way to get my hands on an AT&T SIM or connect to their network.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks,

Dino

Tags (3)
softech
Mayor / Maire

Re: How to update Android on AT&T unlocked phone

I read around and look like there is no other way.  You need an ACTIVE ATT SIM for the update to push over.    Some people called LG and they weren't helping either...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@DinoWPG 

Hmmm....go into the developers options and unlock the OEM to begin with and I'll do some research.

@DinoWPG wrote:

Hi,

I bought an AT&T unlocked phone (LG Velvet 5g). I tried to update to Android 11 & it says the phone is up to date.

The AT&T support site says I need an AT&T SIM to connect to their network for the update to work. 

I'm in Winnipeg, I have no way to get my hands on an AT&T SIM or connect to their network.

Is there any way around this?

I'm not familar with the type of options available in this models's recovery mode, but some devices can be updated using a factory image.  I do suspect that you'll require and unlocked bootloader. I suspect that this will not be easy to acheive.  I would check with the members at XDA forums. Please note that type of activitiy could cause your phone to stop working if you make a mistake during the process.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@DinoWPG 

Here's the link to LG's Android 11 software update in Canada and how to manually update via a pc. To unlock your OEM ( if possible) go to your settings>> about phone and scroll down to the build version and tap on it quickly 7 times this will open the developers options. See if it offere OEM unlocking if so unlock the OEM and leave it at that. Once done you can then research further 

how to update if the LG site in the link doesn't help you....

https://www.mylgphones.com/lg-velvet-5g-lmg900um-android-11-now-available.html?amp

DinoWPG

Yup, OEM unlocking is available.
Still won't let me update based on that.
I'll read up on the link (then need to get to a PC to give it a try)
Thanks
darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@DinoWPG 

Dang....but not surprising as they arr making it more difficult to do that kind of thing. I just got a new pixel 3 ( verizon variant) and I was able to unlock the OEM before I put my sim card in the phone. Hopefully you can do it thru your pc and I will keep my eye out for any mention of a DIY solution for you. Report back your results.

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@DinoWPG : That's interesting that it needs a SIM. I have a Samsung phone that was for the UAE market that I bought from a small vendor in BC. It got updated to A11. It never saw any other SIM in it.

DinoWPG

@z10user4 I think the key thing in my situation is that's it's an AT&T network "unlocked" phone. My research suggests this is standard for AT&T, regardless of phone brand

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 

Yes but your phone like mine wasn't tied to a provider. The new pixel came with verizon sim card mind you it did automatically update to the latest software once connected to the wifi.

Need Help? Let's chat.