cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to unlock iphone 7

mathsublime
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I ve boguht an iphone 7 from a friend, who was with TELUS, now inserting my old Sim card from public mobile, says that it cant be used on this before being unlocked, can u help me? IMEI+++++++++ thx! 

5 REPLIES 5

Carrier-locked iPhones are usually unlocked from the carrier-side.  As in, they change status information and submit it to the registries, then (when they report the device is unlocked) the end-user syncs the iPhone with iTunes to update device-side status.

Telus is required to unlock the iPhone for you at no cost, and they can do their stuff on the phone or online if you don't want to take your device to one of their stores.

But they are not required to unlock the iPhone - and will actually actively block any third-party unlock attempts - if you owe them money for service or for the phone itself.  The device must be fully paid out and "owned" by the end-user before the carrier is required to unlock it.

@mathsublime Have a read: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mathsublime
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My old sim card is till active, I ve bought a new one so my gf can use my old iphone with PM too, I just need to unlock my new iphone and use my old sim car ( same number?)

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mathsublimewrote:

I ve boguht an iphone 7 from a friend, who was with TELUS, now inserting my old Sim card from public mobile, says that it cant be used on this before being unlocked, can u help me? IMEI+++++++++ thx! 

@mathsublime strange result.  Since the iPhone 7 came from Telus, it should work on PM without unlocking.  Was it used on any other networks by your friend after it was used on Telus?  Other thought:  you mention an old SIM card from PM.  When was it last active?  If you ported out the account that was attached to that SIM card, changed your active SIM to another SIM card, or let your account go unpaid for 90+ days, that old SIM card is completely useless (they are single-use only).  However, I would expect a different error message if that was the source of the problem.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Bad news, I'm afraid. If you can't use it for any services immediately with an activated PM SIM that phone is locked to another network, or blacklisted.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.