cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block IMEI number?

VancityPlanner
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My phone was recently stolen and I want to block the IMEI number by putting it on the national blacklist. Is Public Mobile able to arrange this?

To be very clear, I am not looking for instructions on how to recover my phone or suspend my Public Mobile wireless service, I just want to block the IMEI number. I emailed the manufacturer I purchased the phone from and they informed me they do not have that ability.

5 REPLIES 5

@ColdWinters wrote:

It seems to me that the easiest way to address this is to report the phone lost/stolen using PM self-service.  That way, I believe, anyone who tries to activate it won't be able.

That would not prevent someone from taking the Public Mobile sim card and then continuing to use the phone.  Taking those steps would only prevent someone from using your Public Mobile service and phone number.

There is no process provided online for someone to report a phone stolen and to blacklist the IMEI. 

ColdWinters
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It seems to me that the easiest way to address this is to report the phone lost/stolen using PM self-service.  That way, I believe, anyone who tries to activate it won't be able.

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Depending on your phone, sometimes you will find the IMEI number somewhere on the original packaging.

GC

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you had mentioned that you couldn't find the IMEI number. Ignore my post!!  Smiley Happy

@Jessica_T wrote:

@VancityPlanner wrote:

My phone was recently stolen and I want to block the IMEI number. Is Public Mobile able to arrange this? To be very clear, I am not looking for instructions on how to recover my phone or suspend my Public Mobile wireless service, I just want to block the IMEI number. I emailed the manufacturer I purchased the phone from and they informed me they do not have that ability.

@VancityPlanner

As per @NDesai

@NDesai wrote:

There is a solution posted here that may or may not work.

You can send a private message to one of the mod and they will provide you more info on that. 

As per a quick google search.

Report the theft to the police. Ask the police to supply you with a case number. Contact your service provider and supply them with the case number and IMEI number and request that they blacklist your cellphone.

Have you any experience with reporting a lost phone to the police?  I live in the big city, they are totally disinterested in this kind of stuff.  Going through the carrier to blacklist the phone is pretty much the recourse.  @VancityPlanner, just get in touch with the moderator team and they should be able to support you on blacklisting the phone.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@VancityPlanner wrote:

My phone was recently stolen and I want to block the IMEI number. Is Public Mobile able to arrange this? To be very clear, I am not looking for instructions on how to recover my phone or suspend my Public Mobile wireless service, I just want to block the IMEI number. I emailed the manufacturer I purchased the phone from and they informed me they do not have that ability.

@VancityPlanner

As per @NDesai

@NDesai wrote:

There is a solution posted here that may or may not work.

You can send a private message to one of the mod and they will provide you more info on that. 

As per a quick google search.

Report the theft to the police. Ask the police to supply you with a case number. Contact your service provider and supply them with the case number and IMEI number and request that they blacklist your cellphone.

Need Help? Let's chat.