cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I setup data and APN on my Android phone?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

If you’re having trouble with data on your Android smartphone, you may need to configure your network settings for Public Mobile. The steps below may not be exactly the same on your particular phone but they should help you to get going.

Step1: 

Android 2.3 and lower 

Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Android 4.0 and higher 

Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign) *Some models might have a slightly different path 

Step 2: 

You will need to input the following info:

Android APN final.PNG

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: Leave blank

Step 3:

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network. Your data should work normally now. 

122 REPLIES 122

dvomacka
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the info, got my phone going with data now!!

@anastasia_aa wrote:

Wodoes like a charm

Cool who helped solve it for you... definitely  not me this section is was away above my pay grade.

anastasia_aa

Wodoes like a charm

suner

thank you, it worked!!!!

JBboots

Thanks for your detailed instructions. I activated three lines today and I needed to do this for all three. Very useful, thank you!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cristy01 wrote:

I did it and still NOT working

@cristy01 let's keep the discussion of your issue going on the new thread you already posted:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/No-Data/m-p/281552

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

cristy01
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I did it and still NOT working

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @cyates_64,

We've just responded to your PM. Please check your inbox 🙂

Thank you,

Syed

srlawren

@popping wrote:

@cyates_64 wrote:

My phone is an lg 4 I have tried everything 

For LG G4, you need to do a network reset after switching provider to get data working again.

@cyates_64 this is why I was asking, since most of the LG G-series require at least a network reset, if not a factory reset.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

popping

@cyates_64 wrote:

For LG G4, you need to do a network reset after switching provider to get data working again.

cyates_64

Lg 4

cyates_64

srlawren

@cyates_64 what is your phone's brand and model?

Rockdaddy22

@cyates_64 wrote:

hi I have tried all these steps and still no data

Have you tried your sim in a different phone?

cyates_64

hi I have tried all these steps and still no data

Bro1

I have an LG G5 as well that I bought from Koodo originally and I tried different ways to get the data working as well. Finally I just did a factory reset and it worked right away, I didn't even have to set up an APN

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi,
If you have any questions concerning your account, just send a private message through the following link :
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Speedbag7474

Ive tried everything from resetting network settings to APN settings and still NO mobile data connection. I'm using an LG G5 and its now been 30 hrs since coming to PM and I would love it if someone could help. Thanks a bunch.

Wayne.

As a few have pointed out, LTE is not required to use data.  I'm hoping that the moderator involved simply misspoke.  It is still possible that the phone isn't compatible (if voice calls don't work either), but the response that data wasn't working because the phone isn't compatible with Public Mobile's LTE isn't something that should have been said.  This would only be a possible explanation if the phone also lacked Public Mobile's 3g frequencies.  We know that data can work on either the HSPA or LTE networks at Public Mobile.

@CS_Agent wrote:

Hey there Srlawren, from what I understood ED couldn't use data on his phone which is due to the compatibility issue. On the other hand, if you're unable to place calls or send messages please reach out to us privately, don't forget to provide us with your phone#.

I'm sorry, but this reply is just bizarre. @srlawren is entirely correct. LTE is not mandatory for data. Is the customer able to make voice calls? If yes, data should work on the same phone. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Rockdaddy22

This seems strange 🤔

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hey there Srlawren, from what I understood ED couldn't use data on his phone which is due to the compatibility issue. On the other hand, if you're unable to place calls or send messages please reach out to us privately, don't forget to provide us with your phone#.

srlawren

@CS_Agent wrote:

Hey there ED, I understand that my colleague Bladimir spoke to you today. The reason why this doesn't work for you is that your phone is not compatible with our 4G LTE services. Could you please remove your SIM card and test it on another device?

@CS_Agent LTE isn't required for data. As long as the phone has 850MHz and 1900MHz UMTS/W-CDMA, which it does if it's usable for texts and calls, then it will work for data.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hey there ED, I understand that my colleague Bladimir spoke to you today. The reason why this doesn't work for you is that your phone is not compatible with our 4G LTE services. Could you please remove your SIM card and test it on another device?

ed94

i went through all the steps to set up data and its not working for me!! customer service left me hannging! they didnt answer my last inquiry!! im paying for data i cant even use!!! 

srlawren
Thanks @sheytoon!

These days it's generally equal for 3G and LTE coverage. There are always exceptions in both directions. Some sites have 3G only and some sites have LTE only.

srlawren

@eatnb1 yes in NB I'm pretty sure it's all Bell towers for both Bell and Telus.  As far as 3G HSPA vs. 4G LTE coverage, I'm sure @sheytoon will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe everywhere you will get a 4G singal you should also get a 3G signal, but not vice versa.  In other words, the 4G network, as far as I know, is overlaid over parts of the 3G towers.  This might be oversimplified though.  

I'm not sure about ocnfiguring your specific device, but I would think it would follow the general APN configuration you can find in the community, and as long as it has HSPA or HSPA+ 3G support on the 850MHz and 1900MHz frequencies, it should work fine.

eatnb1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you for that info. I was pretty sure that was the case, so I will just keep searching for proper APN settings to make this connect.  I know that I could connect the phone with Virgin Mobile and they have pretty well the same network in this area as Telus, they may all be using Bell network here for all I know.

Rockdaddy22
Public Mobile definitely does have a robust 3G network.
Need Help? Let's chat.