cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I setup data and APN on my Android phone?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

If you’re having trouble with data on your Android smartphone, you may need to configure your network settings for Public Mobile. The steps below may not be exactly the same on your particular phone but they should help you to get going.

Step1: 

Android 2.3 and lower 

Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Android 4.0 and higher 

Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign) *Some models might have a slightly different path 

Step 2: 

You will need to input the following info:

Android APN final.PNG

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: Leave blank

Step 3:

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network. Your data should work normally now. 

122 REPLIES 122

eatnb1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My problem is that i cannot get Data at all, either with WiFi, or with the mobile data turned on.  I just keep the mobile turned off since I am in my house with unlimited WiFi. I should still be able to use Data just as well on WiFi, as with Cell service, but I am not able to connect to the internet, despite using all those settings as advised. I am going to call or chat with One plus tomorrow to see what they say.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
@Rockdaddy22 yes with the caveat that anyone with an iPhone taking that advice needs to make sure they don't have WiFi Assist enabled.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22
Definitely should have mobile data on. It won't use any when on wifi.

srlawren
@eatnb1 forgive my confusion, but what problem are we trying to solve? If you have data turned off, you won't get any mobile data. But with WiFi on you should still be able to use online services and apps.

So are you saying with WiFi connected you you can't browse or use apps? As long as you either have a WiFi connection or mobile data enabled and connected you should be fine.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

eatnb1

My plan does show data, 3 GB, and I just took the plan yesterday for 90 days. I have the latest Oxygen OS, 4.5.3 OTA.  I am using the WiFi at my house, and i have the celuar data turned off as I don't need it at the house. Does the Celuar need to be on, even when using WiFi?  I only have 1 SIM card in the phone, which is the one Public Mobile sent me. It is one of the 3 size type cards and I have it in at Micro size, although the phone will take Nano size also, but I didn't see the point of making the card smaller since the micro fit in the slot.  My phone works, texting works, just no data. Also have some issues with Google account and Gmail but I think that is because I haven't been able to get on line to get my accounts signed up.

srlawren

@eatnb1 unless OnePlus have gone and done something weird with OxygenOS again, the phone should just read all the APN info and configure itself properly.  When they released the first couple of OxygenOS 4.0.x builds for OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T, they had an issue configuring the APN that screwed up a lot of people, but it was quickly resolved in a subsequent release.

Given your phone's info, let's check a few more things:

- Are you on the latest available OxygenOS release?  I believe currently that's 4.5.5 if I'm not mistaken.  You may need to connect to a WiFi network to check and/or to download the latest if you don't already have it.

- Can you confirm that mobile data is turned on?  Go to settings, SIM & network settings, and make sure the Mobile data switch is turned on.

- Do you have another SIM card inserted and active in the second slot?  If so, make sure the Default SIM for cellular data setting (again in SIM & network settings) is set to whichever slot your PM SIM card is in

- Let's make sure your PM account is set up correctly with data as well.  Pleasesign into your self-serve account (https://selfserve.publicmobile.com).  On the Overview page (where you land upon signing in), click on Plan Details, and make sure it's showing a data option.  For example, mine shows:

Pick & Pay

• This plan includes: -
  • - 12GB Data
  • - Expired
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk

If you're not seeing a data amount in the plan details, then send a private message to the moderator team for assistance.  You can find info in the two links at the bottom of this reply.  

If you check all of the above and everything is configured correctly, then we will have to come up with some more things to try.  Please let us know!

Rockdaddy22
Great info, I'm sure someone will be able to help

eatnb1

@srlawren wrote:

@eatnb1 we need more info.  What is your phone's brand and model (please be as specific as possible on the model number).  Also:  is it brand new, or was it previously used at another carrier?  (e.g. Freedom Mobile, Rogers, Fido, Bell, etc.).

Many LG models need to be factory reset when moving from one provider to another, which is a very annoying but well known bug, and does not just affect people moving to PM, but anywhere.  Also, many Samsung models coming from Freedom/Wind seem to need their CSC updated (which causes also a factory reset) in order to work on non-Freedom networks.  There may be other special cases, but the answer to my questions above will be helpful in the community suggestion options.

The phone is made by One Plus,  it is model ONEPLUS A5000, or generic name OnePlusFive,  It is brand new out of the box a few days ago. Public Mobile is the first carrier and used their SIM.  I ported it from my old phone number at Virgin Mobile which was done quickly and no issues. I put the APN settings as advised on this site and I thought i had data for a few minutes, but it didn't last and i have been unable to get it again. 

srlawren

@eatnb1 we need more info.  What is your phone's brand and model (please be as specific as possible on the model number).  Also:  is it brand new, or was it previously used at another carrier?  (e.g. Freedom Mobile, Rogers, Fido, Bell, etc.).

Many LG models need to be factory reset when moving from one provider to another, which is a very annoying but well known bug, and does not just affect people moving to PM, but anywhere.  Also, many Samsung models coming from Freedom/Wind seem to need their CSC updated (which causes also a factory reset) in order to work on non-Freedom networks.  There may be other special cases, but the answer to my questions above will be helpful in the community suggestion options.

@eatnb1 wrote:
Thank you.

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Unfortunately I don't know anything about android but I'll tag a couple oracles who might be able to help.

@srlawren @NDesaiai

The sim worked instantly as soon as I inserted on my nexus 5. The correct settings loaded automatically so I didn't have to add anything. If you delete the apns and enter new one, I don't see why it wouldn't save.

eatnb1

@Lachlan_M wrote:

If you’re having trouble with data on your Android smartphone, you may need to configure your network settings for Public Mobile. The steps below may not be exactly the same on your particular phone but they should help you to get going.

Step1: 

Android 2.3 and lower 

Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Android 4.0 and higher 

Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign) *Some models might have a slightly different path 

Step 2: 

Android APN final.PNG

Step 3:

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network. Your data should work normally now. 

Does anyone know how what settings are for a new One Plus phone?  I have been trying unsuscefully all afternoon to get data.  Had it briefly the first time I used the settings given here, but I could not get connected again. Tried resetting, rebooting, etc.., but nothing seems to work. I am wondering if there is some setting the One Plus Five needs that I don't have.  Thanks for any help available.

@Lachlan_M wrote:

Step1: 

Android 2.3 and lower 

Android 4.0 and higher 

Step 2: 

Android APN final.PNG

Step 3:

@Lachlan_M wrote:

Step1: 

Android 2.3 and lower 

Android 4.0 and higher 

Step 2: 

Android APN final.PNG

Step 3:

eatnb1

Thank you.

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Unfortunately I don't know anything about android but I'll tag a couple oracles who might be able to help.

@srlawren @NDesai

Rockdaddy22

@srlawren @NDesai

eatnb1

Did it take awhile to activate? Did you have to do anything different. I have been trying using these settings, it worked once, but can't get it to do more.  I  have other settings listed that don't show on this screen shot. I have APN protocol, and APN roaming protocol, both have IPv4 as a setting.  I would really like to get this working. I wish there was some way to get help without having to wait hours for an answer. If there is, I wish I could find out how to get it.

eatnb1

is this good for the latest android version 7.1 nougot?  I did these settingsand i got data once but settings didnt stay set.

srlawren

@pushkar wrote:

I have tried using the recommended steps by public mobile to set up the data on an Andriod but it doesnt seem to work. does anyone have a soultion? May be one of the moderators can help?

@pushkar is this still an issue?  What brand and model is your phone, and what verision of Android?  Did you get this phone from a previous provider, or is it brand new and never been used elsewhere before?

pushkar
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have tried using the recommended steps by public mobile to set up the data on an Andriod but it doesnt seem to work. does anyone have a soultion? May be one of the moderators can help?

@Lachlan_M wrote:

Step1: 

Android 2.3 and lower 

Android 4.0 and higher 

Step 2: 

Android APN final.PNG

Step 3:

Rockdaddy22
When you check you self serve account, what does your balance say? It's a 2 step process load the money to the account and then put it towards whatever you'd like, in your case data.

JrSchooley

i recently got a exclamation mark near my signal status and got a notification that i used all my data, so i bought a 1GB data add-on and it's not working, could i get any help with this please and thank you.

jarhead

It's working fine now.  Thanks

srlawren

@jarhead did you have an issue/question?  All I see is the posting you quoted with no context.  

jarhead

@Lachlan_M wrote:

Step1: 

Android 2.3 and lower 

Android 4.0 and higher 

Step 2: 

Android APN final.PNG

Step 3:

srlawren

@ahenry55 no worries, I'm just glad it's all working as expected now.  🙂  Welcome to Public Mobile!

ahenry55

Hi again,

Thank you so much for responding.

When my earlier attempt didn't work, I deleted the email account and walked away.

Just now, to see what error message it was giving, I re-created the account and this time it worked right away.

Not sure what I did different, but all my emails came in now.

Again, thanks for being helpful, and sorry if I wasted your time.

André

srlawren

@ahenry55 okay that's helpful. So, new phone along with new network.  What happens when you try to add your live account to Outlook on the S6?  Do you get an error message?  If so, what does it say?

ahenry55

Sorry for the lack of details.

Crazy busy at work.

I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S6 from Orchard.

Model SM-G920W8

I had Microsoft outlook setup on my old S3 with my live account.

srlawren

@ahenry55 wrote:

Now the phone is registered and working.

However, I'm having a problem configuring the email with my live account.

@ahenry55 I'm glad the data is working.  I'm not sure what you mean by the latter part.  Are you having trouble configuring an email app on your phone?  If so, what kind of phone is this?  What email app are you trying to configure?  Is this a new phone you've never used before?  If not, your email app should already have been configured?

Or is this a different problem altogether?  Please try to provide some more details, you haven't given us much to go on so far to try to help!

ahenry55

Hello,

I saw a post that recomended that I restart the phone.

That resolved 1 issue.

Now the phone is registered and working.

However, I'm having a problem configuring the email with my live account.

srlawren

@ahenry55 what is the brand and model (be as specific as you can--many models have sub models that vary in network bands) of your phone?  Also, have you confirmed that it is carrier unlocked [or locked to Telus/Koodo is okay]?

@ahenry55 wrote:

I ensured that I had all the same settings as in the screen shot you provided.

My phone still shows as unregistred.

You have an issue with your service that isn't related to APN settings.  Incorrect APN settings would not prevent your phone from connecting to the network, and voice and texting services would still work.

Messages such as Unregistered SIM card/No Service  usually means that the service is not active.  The message "cannot register on network" on the other hand would show up if the wrong network is selected.

Need Help? Let's chat.