cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: How do I set up data/APN on my smartphone?

Thank you..i have LG X power..i did try to reset the network...ive tried the auto setting as well as the specific PM setting LTE. im at a loss Smiley Sad

Mayor / Maire

@RosieM

You may need to try the dreaded factory reset of your phone.  LG phones have issues sometimes with PM.  

Here is a line from the knowledge article:

• If you have an LG phone and you still aren’t able to use your data after all of this, we suggest doing a factory reset of your phone.

Ugh!   Will i lose all my contacts/apps if i do a factory reset?

Mayor / Maire

@RosieM

Yes....  resets everything....  You will need to backup the information.  I know more about Apple phone, not LG, but there should be a way to backup that information and restore afterwards.....

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@RosieM

There should be an LG Backup Application on your phone.  Use that to backup your phone and then restore the backup once you've reset the device.  If you don't have a LG Backup application, from the Home screen, tap Apps > Settings > General tab > Backup & reset > LG Backup.

If you have a microsd card to back it up to, that's best.  Otherwise you would want to back it up to your internal storage and I would copy it from there to a computer using a USB cable just in case that data gets wiped when you reset the device.

Also, if you have your google account attached to it, google does a fairly good job of restoring apps and data now.  Though it's not perfect and app data restore doesn't work with every app (it will automatically install the app but won't restore any settings or anything that you changed) so you'd want to make a backup regardless.

On save got message: "Operator does not allow adding APN/s or type *".
Are settings missed?

OK, looks like it was problem with my phone. People complain abt similar issues with Android 8.1, probably android issue.
There is workaround/hack - see this message: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Pixel-2-APN-settings/m-p/280706/highl...

In short: 

ok, i have similar problem with asus Zen Max Pro (M1) - there are  default settings for telus and kodo and no way to change them. Also impossible to add new APN, as error pop up: "operator does not allow adding apns of type *".
Looks like glitch with Android 8.1. At least this forum helped: https://www.reddit.com/r/mintsim/comments/78usic/my_pixel_2_is_saying_the_carrier_doesnt_allow/

In short fix (workaround/hack ) was like this:

Just bought a Pixel 2 and wanted to edit APN settings but the edit settings are greyed out and I can't change anything.  The settings don't match what PM has listed so wanted to tweak them. I also don't get the add APN settings option (the plus sign).

-------- And here is answer : ---------------------

If you're still having issues with this, I found a solution that works on my Pixel 2 running Oreo. When you go to create the APN, put all the info from Mint's site in. Instead of tapping Save, back out with the Home (circle) button. When you check your APN list again, it will be saved with the correct settings (if you tap on the APN name to view it, use Home to back out again, otherwise it'll come back up with the error). Select the APN to enable, should work fine. 

I have done factory reset to no avail so I googled "Suggested APN setting for LG G4 on Public Mobile" and it worked for 2 days then back to Telus on the screen and no data. I will try another provider as this phone is in mint condition. Sorry Public Mobile.

Hey Lachlan_M

I think you are a wizard...my phone is "alive"!!

cheers