cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set up data/APN on my smartphone?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

In this page, you will find Public Mobile APN Settings for your smartphone.

Step by Step APN configuration

Step1: 

Android 

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Blackberry

OS 10 - Settings > Network and Connections > Mobile Network > Tap the settings icon (dented wheel)

Windows

Windows 8 Step 1 Settings > cellular > Add or Edit internet APN 

iPhone

Click here

Step 2:

You will need to input the following information:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: Leave blank

Step 3:

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network

121 REPLIES 121

Regrepsnih
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i am have a huge problem here. iv looked at all the tips and how to set apn up. iv done everything and the data will not work. i have one of the newer lgs completly unlocked andriod net. iv tried and tried and tried and nothing works. set everything verbatume to what you guys show but no luck. i am extreamly disapointed at how complicated this is. and that your fixes posted do not work. my phone is useless with out data. some one please help. i am about at the point of asking for a full refund and returning the sim.... i have bin at this for hours and hours. and there is no tech support. like if you order a plan with data they should have to send you an email explaining step by step from them how to do it. because the community seems to not have the right awnsers. or are missing a step or 2 or something  missing that ppl might assume that its common sense... response or help asap would be great.

andreyfaigon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
unfortunately my pone not working,and it seem like it not compatible. how i can receive refund, who can help me?

andreyfaigon

it is not working

jesssip
Usually this information can be found online by searching the exact phone model. It is important to lookat the specific one as models with codes differing y a single digit may have all different capabilities. Be wary of international models of phones as well! Always important to do your research before making purchases with finicky things like technology! (:

jmmorris

So... I think I got this right.. (Moto G, Android 5.1 and I'm migrating from Fido)... I followed instructions, i rebooted phone. My APN Settings and my APN Tethering Settings are same as the earlier detailed posts on this topic (as pasted below).

Any ways to confirm/test that setup is all complete and correct? The phone displays mobile network is Public Mobile (in status bar at top) and turning off wifi and using data, i can access many web pages.. so i assume all is good? Thanks for any help.

APN Settings:

Name: Mobile Internet

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18

Authentication type: Not set

APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

APN enable/disable: APN enabled

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

ALSO, Here's the Tethering APN Settings As Well:

APN Tethering Settings:

Name: Tethered Mobile Internet

APN: isp.mb.com

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMSC: Not set

MMS proxy: Not set

MMS port: Not set

Authentication type: Not set

APN type: dun

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

APN enable/disable: APN enabled

Shamiran

I tried this on my samsung s4 and my data still would not work so I tried to purchase another phone LG G3 and the data didn't work on that phone either. Thank you

magimug

azthemansays

Welcome soon-to-be ex-Wind mobile user @euro1970!

I was with them since near their beginning, and I myself made the switch a few months ago. Let me tell you... it's nice to be able to look something up right away rather than sitting there looking at the screen in frustration waiting for something to happen.

LTE is beautiful.  You'll wonder why you didn't make the switch sooner.

euro1970
I have the similar moto g phones. Looking to switch from wind...and my speeds are definitely slower than 2 seconds to load a webpage. I've had enough of wind

s2scotty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This data/apn thing appears to keep on keeping on 😉

So, for AMPLIFICATION,,,

While true in all cases, it is particularly true for people porting over from other carriers where their prior carrier would have APN profile, that there should be only one only carrier and one only profile where the "APN TYPE=" has the attribute "defualt"

For example,

APN type: default,mms

You should (1) remove the "default" from your old carrier's APN profile, and (2) then SAVE that.  I have seen cases where simply deleting the old carrier's profile doesn't quite accomplish the same thing. Then, along with the other good stuff, configure the "default" into the Public Mobile APN profile.  Remember: no spaces!

Leafs_win

Hey all, 

I just activated my data using the post above for my Samsung Note 4.

**I inserted my SIM card before activating the data. 

I did have issues activating my data following the directions. What I did was: Settings>More Networks>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names>(make sure Public mobile is selected).

Press back select Network operators>Search networks>(select Public Mobile).

Then reset your phone.

Congrats! Welcome to Public Mobile!

dogeiestdoge

Hey, i have an HTC one M7 and i do not have the option for a mmsc PORT, will everyhting work fine anyways?

s2scotty

You are welcome!

/S

azthemansays

@s2scotty - Thank you!!  I've been with Public two months now and I finally got MMS working thanks to your advice.

What I added in order to make MMS sending work:

APN type: default,mms (no spaces before, after or inbetween)
MVNO value: 4d4f

Then I reset.

They really need to update the original post... @Shazia_K?

s2scotty

And, under the just making sure heading,,,

You have to SAVE the parameter values. SAVE is done via the MENU selector in the upper righthand corner. Then you have to SELECT this APN. Then you reboot.

s2scotty

The MVNO parameters shown are AS THEY GET SET TO BY THE NETWORK upon successful handshake. You may try leaving them as "Unspecified". But, in any case, different MVNO values from those shown may be prefectly correct for your operating regions and frequency bands.

s2scotty

Hey @joberts,

Confirming,,, one only APN choice in the Access Point Names "folder," right? This one only choice is presently set as shown in my post, "Mobile Internet/sp.mb.com", right? And you've verified no trailing spaces following ANY entry, right? This *@%! gotcha is too easy to miss given that the keyboards auto space.

The above being true, you have then rebooted your phone and then waited; I've seen it take a quite few minutes to acquire the LTE (or 3G) indicator on first handshake. It's near instantaneous once it's working. I've seen where this full reboot is needed because Network ON to OFF to ON is insufficient.

Other things to try,,,

Data Roaming = ON

Preferred Network Type = LTE

Available Networks =  Public Mobile

Available Networks = "Automatically choose preferred network" is the the preferred setting, but you may need to hit the nail more squarely to get first handshake. After first successful handshake, you may set this back to automatic.

joberts

Hi all,

I have tried every configuration of APN settings I've seen on this forum and on other sites on my Samsung S6 (SM-G920F global model) and am having no luck. I've deleted all old ones as alluded to in the post above - I have no conflicting APN settings. Tried all different options of APN Type etc. etc. to no avail.

Can anybody help me here please? Not a great start to my relationship with Public Mobile, I have to say.  Robot Sad

s2scotty

Have recently help a few friends with this and here's what worked. Lines marked with "*" vary from prior guidance given herein and/or are the setting RECEIVED from PM network once a successful data connection is established.

THE GOTCHA'S ...

With regard to "APN type" parameter, the specification says that "a default APN MUST BE DEFINED;" therefore, setting this parameters to "default" is important. If you have multiple APNs listed, ONLY one, the PM one, should have the APN type "default".

Including "mms", as in, "default,mms" makes it clear TO THE PHONE to route MMS via this APN/carrier.  IT APPEARS CRITICAL THAT there are NO SPACES between the words and the commas (e.g. "default,<space>mms" = wrong and "default,mms" = correct). A trailing space proved an issue on a phone (e.g. "default, mms<space>" = wrong and "default,mms" = correct). Like "default", only the correct and active APN should include the "mms" tag.

*  Name: Mobile Internet
   Proxy: Unspecified
   Port: Unspecified
   Username: Unspecified
   Password: Unspecified
   Server: Unspecified
   MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
   Authentication type: Unspecified
*  APN type: default,mms
*  APN roaming Protocol: IPv4

There maybe many types of APN settings out there, somewhere

Alexo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have only one APN (sp.mb.com) set up on my Nexus 5, and tethering works without a hitch.

Also, http://tamingthedroid.com/what-apn-settings-mean says:

"Other APN types that exist include "supl" for a feature called "Secure User Plane Location", a feature of Assisted GPS. This APN type usually doesn't need to be specified and Assisted GPS will still work correctly. Another is "dun" for dial-up networking, however this refers to an outdated method for using your phone to emulate a dial-up modem and is not the way that modern smartphones do tethering anymore.

Some websites recommend adding even more values to these fields, however in normal cases (unless you have been advised by your carrier to use a certain value) these will have no effect at all: "default" or "*" is a suitable catch-all. In particular, specifying "hipri" does not improve the performance of your internet data, despite claims by many websites."

If you want to use your phone to tether, aka a mobile WiFi hotspot, you need to add fun or something, and its best to have 2 so ppl know settings for each, one for data access alone, other for tethering purposesif phone has that option available and if you are in are with no WiFi and have a tablet or laptop,tethering does come handy in tough times

Alexo

@makkhan28, why do we need two APNs?

airadost

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Smiley Very Happy

telnoman

worked perfectly on my Oneplus One

fullmetal

Depends on the phone. I didn't have to for Moto G.

deltatux

Do we have to manually enter in the APN regardless of device? Doesn't it just pick up automatically from the SIM?

@fullmetal Suggest you try IPv4v6; that seems to cover both protocols. If that does not work, email PM.

You do not need a data plan to receive picture message, but data must be turned on. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

fullmetal

I don't have the IP type option default,supl,mms. I have IPv4, IPv6, IPv4v6, what do I put? Calling and texting works. Except for sending and receiving pictures. It will say "get media content now" when I receive a picture. When I send a picture, it will say "Can't send message Try again".

Need Help? Let's chat.