cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set up data/APN on my smartphone?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

In this page, you will find Public Mobile APN Settings for your smartphone.

Step by Step APN configuration

Step1: 

Android 

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Blackberry

OS 10 - Settings > Network and Connections > Mobile Network > Tap the settings icon (dented wheel)

Windows

Windows 8 Step 1 Settings > cellular > Add or Edit internet APN 

iPhone

Click here

Step 2:

You will need to input the following information:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: Leave blank

Step 3:

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network

121 REPLIES 121

@S15smallblock wrote:

Hi, Just switched to public mobile. When I set my APN to the described settings it crashes my phone everytime I turn on Location (GPS). If I use a different APN my phone won't crash but I can't get data. Moto X Play. Any suggestions? Is there an alternate APN?

@S15smallblockIf you are absolutely sure you entered it correctly, likely its not the "APN" per-say that is crashing the phone, once you put in the correct apn and its connecting to cellular data there is another underlying hardware, or software issue that is causing it to crash / fail. I suggest doing a factory reset on the device and if the problem still persists make a new topic (not post here again)

S15smallblock
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, Just switched to public mobile. When I set my APN to the described settings it crashes my phone everytime I turn on Location (GPS). If I use a different APN my phone won't crash but I can't get data. Moto X Play. Any suggestions? Is there an alternate APN?

kassicho
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Lachlan_M

I think you are a wizard...my phone is "alive"!!

cheers

rider439

I have done factory reset to no avail so I googled "Suggested APN setting for LG G4 on Public Mobile" and it worked for 2 days then back to Telus on the screen and no data. I will try another provider as this phone is in mint condition. Sorry Public Mobile.

vit100

OK, looks like it was problem with my phone. People complain abt similar issues with Android 8.1, probably android issue.
There is workaround/hack - see this message: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Pixel-2-APN-settings/m-p/280706/highl...

In short: 

ok, i have similar problem with asus Zen Max Pro (M1) - there are  default settings for telus and kodo and no way to change them. Also impossible to add new APN, as error pop up: "operator does not allow adding apns of type *".
Looks like glitch with Android 8.1. At least this forum helped: https://www.reddit.com/r/mintsim/comments/78usic/my_pixel_2_is_saying_the_carrier_doesnt_allow/

In short fix (workaround/hack ) was like this:

Just bought a Pixel 2 and wanted to edit APN settings but the edit settings are greyed out and I can't change anything.  The settings don't match what PM has listed so wanted to tweak them. I also don't get the add APN settings option (the plus sign).

-------- And here is answer : ---------------------

If you're still having issues with this, I found a solution that works on my Pixel 2 running Oreo. When you go to create the APN, put all the info from Mint's site in. Instead of tapping Save, back out with the Home (circle) button. When you check your APN list again, it will be saved with the correct settings (if you tap on the APN name to view it, use Home to back out again, otherwise it'll come back up with the error). Select the APN to enable, should work fine. 

vit100

On save got message: "Operator does not allow adding APN/s or type *".
Are settings missed?

darkstar107

Also, if you have your google account attached to it, google does a fairly good job of restoring apps and data now.  Though it's not perfect and app data restore doesn't work with every app (it will automatically install the app but won't restore any settings or anything that you changed) so you'd want to make a backup regardless.

darkstar107

@RosieM

There should be an LG Backup Application on your phone.  Use that to backup your phone and then restore the backup once you've reset the device.  If you don't have a LG Backup application, from the Home screen, tap Apps > Settings > General tab > Backup & reset > LG Backup.

If you have a microsd card to back it up to, that's best.  Otherwise you would want to back it up to your internal storage and I would copy it from there to a computer using a USB cable just in case that data gets wiped when you reset the device.

@RosieM

Yes....  resets everything....  You will need to backup the information.  I know more about Apple phone, not LG, but there should be a way to backup that information and restore afterwards.....

RosieM

Ugh!   Will i lose all my contacts/apps if i do a factory reset?

@RosieM

You may need to try the dreaded factory reset of your phone.  LG phones have issues sometimes with PM.  

Here is a line from the knowledge article:

• If you have an LG phone and you still aren’t able to use your data after all of this, we suggest doing a factory reset of your phone.

RosieM

Thank you..i have LG X power..i did try to reset the network...ive tried the auto setting as well as the specific PM setting LTE. im at a loss 😞

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@RosieMwhat phone are you using?  have you tried a netwrk setting reset?

Franz1986

i had to do a factory data reset on a LG-G4 ---- after that it work right away

RosieM

Ive followed the instructions but it still wont work :(....any suggestions?

carebear

Thank you!

Franz1986

yes i did that 2 times already still not working

Ted

Hell0 all,

Does anyone know the exact APN settings for:

Samsung Galaxy Ace Q (SGH-I827D) ?

..i didnt find it in the list of devices on the website for APN settings..

Thanks.

silverbirdng

My phone is have problemshttps://silverbirdng.com/?s=Gionee

@Julie30wrote:

I have tried those APNs and nothing works, I am trying to get my data and picture messaging to work on my LG G5!! Someone help please !

G5.PNG

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Julie30

On an LG G5 ...

First, Tools > Settings > Network > More > Mobile Networks > Network Operators

Select "Automatic" or "Public Mobile"

Second, Tools > Settings > Network > More > APN Settings

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settings/1403_15_public_mobile_apn_settings_for_lg_g5.php

Finally, restart the device for changes to take effect.  It may report "Telus" instead of "Public Mobile" for a little while, but this is normal and doesn't affect anything.  Different Android builds sometimes have slight differences in the menu/tab navigation, but the basic options are still somewhere "logical" if you dig around for them.

You might also find this thread useful if you need to factory reset your LG G5.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/I-can-hear-them-but-people-can-t-hear-me/...

@Julie30wrote:

I have tried those APNs and nothing works, I am trying to get my data and picture messaging to work on my LG G5!! Someone help please !

quote from this Knowledge Base article: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p...

"Lastly, if you have an LG phone and you still aren’t able to use your data after all of this, we highly suggest doing a factory reset of your phone. We have found this to often be the only way to get data working on LG devices!"

Julie30

(This is an old thread, so somebody might move new questions to a new one.)

There is no option for "mmsc PORT".

The APN settings for Public Mobile are:

Name: Public Mobile

APN: sp.mb.com

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS: Port 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

(leave all other settings blank)

(new settings may not take effect until the device is restarted)

(don't forget to turn data ON if you need it)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @sadie_lehr.

You might be able to find the settings you need here.

I know a lot of folks around here reference that site for the proper settings.  Take a note of your current settings and try it out.  If it doesn't work, you can always put back the old settings.

sadie_lehr

Hello!

I have an iPhone 6s and am, since changing my SIM Public Mobile, unable to enable MMS and set up the correct APN settings on my smartphone. I can get as far as changing the APN in Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Data Network. Once there, I only see 3 options: APN (I changed this to sp.mb.com as per tutorial instructions), and left the Username and Password fields blank. The next option is in blue and is the Reset Settings option. Further than that, I cannot find an area to change MMS settings as I have seen in screenshots in many tutorials. I can no longer send photo or video messages to contacts who do not have an iPhone. Has anyone else had difficulty setting up the APN setting for MMS, and finding those fields on your iPhone? Your help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

sadie_lehr

4444A352-0865-41E5-99DD-F9CB818B5D6A.png

7EAEF2AB-4BFA-4580-8A5B-792FAE35FFFD.png

Dom1

Hi, I have a LG G5 and I cant set up my data acces, those guide line are not working for me. Any help on this is possile, got my pacakage since 2 week and still cant set it up.

Thanks in advance

Serpaman

should the apn be set to on or off

djdc1234

This worked for my LGG3 android it let my Texts work and my data is up ty Person +karma

Need Help? Let's chat.