cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set up data/APN on my smartphone?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

In this page, you will find Public Mobile APN Settings for your smartphone.

Step by Step APN configuration

Step1: 

Android 

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Blackberry

OS 10 - Settings > Network and Connections > Mobile Network > Tap the settings icon (dented wheel)

Windows

Windows 8 Step 1 Settings > cellular > Add or Edit internet APN 

iPhone

Click here

Step 2:

You will need to input the following information:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: Leave blank

Step 3:

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network

121 REPLIES 121

@fullmetal If you have followed the steps here: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-setup-data-APN-on-my-Windows-...

without success, I suggest you email PM directly from the Contact Us on the main web site, then Email Away. Hopefully, before PM responds one someone with more Windows experience will respond to your question.

Assume you have tried rebooting and that calling and texting are functioning normally?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

fullmetal
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have Windows Lumia 520. It doesn't have a MCC or MNC in mms apn. What do I put for maximum MMS size? Also for internet apn what do I put in proxy server and proxy port? My phone doesn't have a tethering apn.

Here's another set, MUCH MORE detailed:

Welcome to Public Mobile

Enjoy

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Your APN settings, including MMS and Internet data, must conform with Public Mobile's requirements.

Upon activating your SIM card, reboot your phone, and you should have immediate service. Remember to register your SIM card number in your self-serve account in order to have service.

I hope that this answer has addressed your questions.

TroyDaBes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So, all I have to do is activate my sim card after I received it and follow all of the instructions https://activate.publicmobile.ca/. If, by any chance, I don't have any signal on my phone I need to set up my APN on my smartphone to work it? How long does it usually take after I'm done with registration and porting my number?

It may be necessary; will depend what APN settings are set when you first turn on your phone after installing the SIM. I joined a month ago and had to set the APN manually.

TroyDaBes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is this really necessary? Isn't this automatically? Or if only I don't get APN after I register and ported my number? 

That's Fair, Thanks. I'll read message more careful, to avoid that

Martin
Legend
Legend
makkahn28,

A correction is in order.

The OP was inquiring about customer service, and obtaining a SIM card.

You did not advise him with respect to obtaining one.

Read the question, and respond only to the question, in an A to Z method.

If you are unable to explain step-by-step, do not reply, as half answers do not benefit the OP.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

@uberwireless Seems you are not yet a customer? To join PM, order your SIM here https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/beta 

As the company is operating in beta mode, it will take 8 - 10 weeks to receive an invitation and another 1 - 2 weeks to get a SIM.

Martin
Legend
Legend
AngryCustomer,

You're quite welcome! I'm glad that I was able to help you.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

For new customers, there is no live customer assistance by phone. Questions must be posed in this community, or sent by web mail directly to Public Mobile.

With regard to ordering a SIM card, you must first become a Beta invitee. In order to become one, do the following: Click Order a SIM Card on this site's home page. A page will open with a laboratory setting, and a box in which to enter your email address. In approximately one month or so, you will receive an invitation and a code. Then, in approximately two weeks, you will receive a SIM card. Upon activation of your SIM card, which is free of charge, you will become a Public Mobile customer. There is no faster way to become a customer.

Though early, welcome to Public Mobile!

Public Mobile No longer has a Call Center, all Inquiries, Concerns, Sims, All done Here, Email or private message, or Community

uberwireless
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

im looking at public mobile.. however, it is not allowing me to order a sim card.  Moreover, id love to know if and where they will have a customer service number in order to get informaiton.

looks ok so far.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello Brian,

Thank you for the Bravo. Much appreciated!

On Cyber's behalf, I thank you for the Bravo. It's also appreciated.

Enjoy your vacation.

Cheers!

AngryCustomer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you Martin, thanks Cyber...

I appreciate your help with this 😄 

I've requested a new SIM... I'm going on vacation next week so I'll just put the phone away until I get back. 

Cheers,

Brian

@AngryCustomer,

The fastest way is to have your actual SIM card cutted to the new size of your phone. Some shops do it for you with a precision cutter.

OR

How to request a FREE replacement SIM card by email ?

Click on this link : https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/contact-us

Then, at the bottom right of the page, click on "Email away" button.

- Choose ""

- Choose ""

- Choose ""

- Choose "

Important: Make sure you provide us a full mailing address, an alternate contact number, and the size of the SIM card (Nano/Standard/Micro) needed. Is should look like this:

Replacement SIM.png

All SIM card replacement orders will be processed within two business days, but it may take up to 7 business days to receive your new SIM.

If you did not receive your SIM card within the timeframe, please check your mailbox before sending us an email.

Once you receive your replacement SIM card, you have to update your SIM card number on your account by login to your self serve account, then click on "Change SIM card number"

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

You're making progress, even if you don't believe it at the moment.

If your "3G Acer" used a Micro SIM, just update your self-serve account. Log in, and click the Plans and Add-ons tab. Then, click the Change SIM Card sub-tab. Reboot your phone.

If your phone is not locked to Telus/PM/Koodo, you need to configure the APN for data and MMS (picture messaging).

If you don't have a Micro SIM from PM, you can use a SIM card adaptor until your new order for a Micro PM is fulfilled and sent to you.

To order a SIM card, do the following: Click Contact Us on this site's home page. Another page will open with Email Away on it. Click that. Another page will open with radio buttons on it. Select the buttons that pertain to your situation, and a web form will be displayed. Complete the web form and submit it to Public Mobile. In about 2 weeks, you should receive your new SIM card. Ensure that you mention at least once, if not more, the size of the SIM card that you want.

Cheers!

AngryCustomer

I already returned the phone. Bought a 4G LTE Acer... guess what? This one takes MICRO SIM cards only. On the Staples website it says Regular Sim... on the box it says NOTHING regarding SIM... only information is INSIDE the phone. Bought Acer because phones are worth exactly 20 dollars. The difference like in TV's is name. Internal workings are all the same. My Samsung which I got from PM when they switched over to Telus 4G network was always garbage. Half the time couldn't even get it to be a PHONE. I like Acer, my laptop which I use for work and my home PC are both Acer and I have no issues with them. I do have issues with websites that give incorrect information & packaging that is incomplete. The Z220 took my SIM card, there was no clear reason to expect that the upgrade Z410 wouldn't also. Oh and PM is in Beta which means I can't get a new SIM card (do they even do MICRO?) Have you ever tried to e-mail PM? It's a circus act, you jump through a dozen hoops and then they send you an e-mail asking you to PROVE your identity by giving them information (account number) you gave them in your original e-mail. Original e-mail, and therefore the account number, is included in the e-mail they send you asking for it!!! Brilliant!! I think I might be done with it all. I never dealt with this garbage when PM had actual stores.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello again,

Unless you went into the store requesting an up-to-date phone or one operating on 4G frequencies, I don't believe that the sales staff were at fault.

Obviously, there was a reason that you purchased an Acer.

If you wanted an Acer, it wasn't the staff's responsibility to inform you that it couldn't function on 4G LTE frequencies, assuming that they knew that.

If you return to the store, please keep all of the above in mind.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

I'd like to take this opportunity to put matters into perspective.

First, the IMEI tool has been known to give false positives. As a result, I never rely upon it. I use alternate websites.

Secondly, your APN settings still have to be configured for data and MMS for data and picture messaging to work, even if you do not have a phone which transmits on 4G frequencies. For example, I have 2 Moto G phones, released in late 2013. Each is configured to operate on 2G and 3G, but not 4G. Since Telus/PM/Koodo do not support 2G, any discussion about it is moot. That leaves 3G, which provides me with data. The only difference between 3G and 4G vis-à-vis data is speed. Instead of a web page opening in 0.5 seconds on 4G, it takes 2 seconds on 3G.

@AngryCustomer,

Your Acer Z220 can function on 3G with Public Mobile.

You should be able to configure your APN setting without any problem.

AngryCustomer

No I was not. I went to the store, told them my carrier, and voila. Their customer service rivals only that of the new Public Mobile. It would be easier if the Phone Checker thingy didn't require information you can only get FROM THE BOX or ACTUAL phone. You know... those things you don't have access to until YOU BUY IT. No where on the box does it indicate its G status. Back to the store.

Thanks Martin, you were actually helpful.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Are you aware that your phone is 3G only, and cannot operate on 4G LTE frequencies?

AngryCustomer

Acer Z220

@AngryCustomer,

What is the make and model of your phone ?

AngryCustomer

Did the APN thing but I don't have a MCC or MNC in the list and data still not working.

Correct

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^In Correct answer. You will not be able to do what you said until an active working PM Sim is in the Device.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

After doing the above, order a PM SIM card. It will take approximately 3 working days to 3 weeks to receive one.

Go to the homepage, and you will see information pertaining to ordering a SIM card.

Cheers.
Need Help? Let's chat.