cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get an iPhone SE unlocked for my daughter?

Cyberbeagle
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before. I did find an older thread from 2016/2017, but I don't think it applies anymore. Knowledge bas wasn'T much help either.

My daughter bought a used iPhone SE. Everything seems ok but when I put in the SIM card, the phone is locked to another carrier.What's the process to having it unlocked?

Thanks. 🙂

14 REPLIES 14

@Cyberbeagle wrote:

I got the phone unlocked via Bell chat. Took a few hours to get it unlocked after I put in my request. Then I had 2 options but since I had a SIM from PM I only had to follow option 1 and  insert SIM and reboot phone. Followed the config settings and done! Everything works! Thanks 🙂

Glad you finally got things up and running. FYI...you've assigned yourself as the SOLUTION in your request for help. May I suggest you go back and re-read all the answers provided and select the first one to provide info on how to unlock the phone, as the SOLUTION. The person you select would really appreciate you recognizing their assistance by assigning them as the SOLUTION.

Cyberbeagle
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got the phone unlocked via Bell chat. Took a few hours to get it unlocked after I put in my request. Then I had 2 options but since I had a SIM from PM I only had to follow option 1 and  insert SIM and reboot phone. Followed the config settings and done! Everything works! Thanks 🙂

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@GinYVR wrote:

@mimmoAs long as the iPhone is connected to the internet eg wifi and with the Public Mobile SIM card in it, Apple will take care of the determintation of the lock status on their end during the activation process ie during initial setup.

Yes, once carrier has unlocked it there must next be a handshake of the actual phone (IMEI) and Apple to complete the unlock. Can also be done by doing a full reset of phone over iTunes or on the phone itself. 

@mimmoAs long as the iPhone is connected to the internet eg wifi and with the Public Mobile SIM card in it, Apple will take care of the determintation of the lock status on their end during the activation process ie during initial setup.

88cranston

@Cyberbeagle wrote:

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before. I did find an older thread from 2016/2017, but I don't think it applies anymore. Knowledge bas wasn'T much help either.

My daughter bought a used iPhone SE. Everything seems ok but when I put in the SIM card, the phone is locked to another carrier.What's the process to having it unlocked?

Thanks. 🙂

I have PMd you of all the info you need. One of my best articles...blocked.

88cranston

@Cyberbeagle wrote:

Hi,

Thanks. 🙂

What carrier is it on?  Check the imei HERE

88cranston

@mimmo wrote:

@88cranston   last time I unlocked a iphone an active sim from the provider needed to be inserted.  Is this still the case?

I would say no. But not sure. I have bought a number of phones on Craigslist and part of the pre purchase process is to obtain the imei number. There is a web site that will tell you if it is unlocked. If locked it will tell you what carrier. I then unlock it over CHAT before I travel to buy!! So some may have no SIM as people would have pulled the SIM for their new phone. I do know there are some processes that an iPhone won’t let you do with out a SIM....but I have used spares and any carrier will work.   

austinproh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You can also Get the IMEI number for the phone and I can call around and get it unlocked for you

austinproh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Here are all the support number for all of the well-known Providers. The best way to figure out what provider that phone was last used on is to open the sim tray and see if the old one is in there and most of the time it will show you the provider of the phone. although this might not work because for the newer phone they have stop doing this because of the size of the sim card but it's worth a try. You only have to call the first three numbers and go in order and you will eventually get to a provider that will have the IMEI number on their platform. "PS I have link Video to the IMEI number and the Sim Tray if you just click on those words"

TELUS technical support agent at 1-888-811-2323

ROGERS technical support agent at 855-381-7834

Hours of office 

8am to midnight EST, Monday to Friday and 8:00am to 11:00pm EST on Saturday and

Sunday

Bell technical support agent at 1 (866) 301-1942

Koodo technical support agent at 1 (866) 995-6636

Fido technical support agent at 1 (888) 481-3436

Virgin Mobile technical support agent at 1 (888) 999-2321

I hope this helps, Also if you would like to learn about what the laws are about carrier-unlocking then check this article out Link

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@88cranston   last time I unlocked a iphone an active sim from the provider needed to be inserted.  Is this still the case?

88cranston

@Cyberbeagle wrote:

Hi,

Thanks. 🙂

Please read my article here  

Any questions, I am here to help. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Cyberbeagle wrote:

Hi,

Thanks. 🙂

If you daughter's locked iPhone cannot work with PM SIM card, this iPhone was not sold by Telus or Koodo.  You can call Rogers/Fido or Bell/Virgin to get it unlocked. 

If this iPhone was sold by any Canadian providers, you can call Apple Canada to unlocked it because provider cannot lock their phone anymore.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@Cyberbeagle You have to contact the old carrier. Do you know who that is?

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Cyberbeagle wrote:

Hi,

Thanks. 🙂

You need to contact the carrier it's locked to. They will arange that Apple unlock it.

Need Help? Let's chat.