cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get a new phone?

Sunspots
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am new to Public Mobile. I assumed like my old provider, Telus, that when the time came for me to get a new phone I could do it through this Public Mobile. So do I just buy my phones at full price now from Apple and set it up through here? For 15 years I've been resigning contracts with phones attached and now I'm just lost. Any help would be appreciated!

11 REPLIES 11

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Dunkman wrote:

Buyer beware for kijiji phones.  There are different scams out there.  Just be careful.  Sometimes stolen phones, fake phones, etc.   Other times, the owner that sold the phone will. report the phone stolen later and blacklist the phone.  Lots of potential issues with kijiji phones.  

This mentality goes for eBay, Amazon (oh yes... with all the "Renewed" advertising they got going), BestBuy and all the rest of these retailers selling used/refurbished/renewed devices to make a quick buck. 3 words that essentially mean the same; semantics.

Buyer beware for kijiji phones.  There are different scams out there.  Just be careful.  Sometimes stolen phones, fake phones, etc.   Other times, the owner that sold the phone will. report the phone stolen later and blacklist the phone.  Lots of potential issues with kijiji phones.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You need to provide your own unlocked compatiable phone for PM.  There are various online retailers like getorchard.com & factorydirect.ca and also brick and mortar ones such as best buy and staples.  Welcome to PM !.

@AE_CollectorBecause it is another leasing scheme!! Phones depreciate quicker than cars!

Landline Telephone service stopped coming with a locked in telephone set in the 1980's. I don't know why there are still cell phone plans bundled with all sorts of phone replacement schemes in 2019! Well, actually I do know why...because it is a money maker for the providers. Going with "Bring your own Device" plans is a much better way to go and it doesn't make you look as though you are losing money by not upgrading every 24 months. Lower cost and better for the environment.

AE_Collector

7935A301-6496-4DE7-BC27-51FA44AAD46C.jpeg

Obice

@Sunspots wrote:

I am new to Public Mobile. I assumed like my old provider, Telus, that when the time came for me to get a new phone I could do it through this Public Mobile. So do I just buy my phones at full price now from Apple and set it up through here? For 15 years I've been resigning contracts with phones attached and now I'm just lost. Any help would be appreciated!

I highly suggest you that you buy a used phone from eBay or Kijiji (owned by eBay).

This is my opinion and it's probably the most unpopular opinion but going on a contract to get a brand new phone is as bad of a financial decision as paying off a car. We don't make enough and therefore have to pay in increments to get what we want or need for life -- that's the brutal reality of it.

Your best bet is buying a used phone and sticking to it. Don't try to keep up with the times and buying a new phone every few years, that's nonsensical. I recommend going with an Apple phone as you've already suggested you do because they offer more software updates than the competition and then you are just left with rooting out any hardware issues.

If you're feeling adventurous you could even buy an android phone and put custom software on it. I suggest a Galaxy Note 3, S7, S8 or Pixel 2 XL as some phones with amazing third party developer support.

Gel-Doua

Have a look on Amazon too, good deals for new unlocked phones

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Buying a phone is like buying any electronics.  Do some online research about available options, take in some YouTube reviews to narrow the search.  Find retailer options online and in store.  That's pretty much it.  

liuxinbing

Buy phones at phone retailers, like staples, bestbuy or apple. That way you save money.

I agree that prohabiting locking phones is a big step. Next step would be prohabiting service providers selling phones. 

Imaging if Rogers sells Toshiba TVs that are locked to Rogers cable so that people can't watch bell signals without unlocked, free unlocking or not.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Sunspots you can buy a new one or shop used ones from Kijiji or Facebook and just make sure that it's unlocked or made for telus/Koodo /public mobile. We save so much money with public mobile that it's worth buying a phone outright every 2 or 3 years 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@SunspotsPublic Mobile doesn't sell phones. You can purchase unlocked phones outright from a lot of different retailers (not just Apple) and at various price points.

However if you are looking for deals, I would suggest keep an eye out on RedFlagDeals, especially when resellers (like Bestbuy) have gift certificates (usually $200 or so).. on top of Koodo's deals on plans. A few of my friends got new phones (even iPhones, usually iPhone 😎 basically for free that way.

Need Help? Let's chat.