cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I block a person from leaving voicemail?

jpaiva83
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Plan A

I have blocked the number on the phone, but this person still leaves voicemail. As checking voicemail costs minuets, its very annoying to use minuets just to delete the message.

Plan B

How do I delete messages from voicemail without using my minuets? Is there an app that does this by public mobile? I do not want to use some third party app and give them access to my voicemail.

Plan C

I will disable voicemail if I have no choice.

11 REPLIES 11

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@jpaiva83 wrote:

Plan A

I have blocked the number on the phone, but this person still leaves voicemail. As checking voicemail costs minuets, its very annoying to use minuets just to delete the message.

[snip]

Hi @jpaiva83 , I can satisfy your "Plan A" without having to disable voicemail for everyone!

There are three types of "conditional" call forwarding that are all set to public mobile's voicemail system by default. You can't disable them, but you can change each of them to forward to other numbers to achieve the same thing.

There are three types of conditional call forwarding are "when busy", "no answer", or "unreachable".

When you block a number, or manually decline a call, the "when busy" conditional forward is invoked. So, if you set that one specifically to a dead-end or other "fun" number, callers from blocked numbers will never reach your voicemail, while still allowing unanswered calls, and calls while your phone is off the network or in airplane mode ("unreachable") to proceed to voicemail

For you, you can dial:

*67*8080000000#

This sets your "busy" conditional call forward to an invalid USA number, that is still accepted for setting. Since Public Mobile does not actually allow call forwarding to a USA number, the caller will just get a fast-busy or ringing forever without ever reaching your voicemail to futher annoy you.

Undo this back to default with:

##67#

I wrote about this previously in detail here, with some other fun numbers to use as destinations, such as a payphone in Regina: 306 545 8171 "At the customers request, the number you have dialed is equipped for outgoing calls only."

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwarding-and-...

Lastly, be aware that anyone can technically leave you voicemail without ever having to dial your phone number at all. By dialing any of the local voicemail access numbers across canada, and entering your phone number, a message can be left for you.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/...

Another option is to not use Public Mobile's voicemail service at all. You can use a free "alternative" voicemail provider such as Youmail. By setting your "conditional" call forwards to the number they provide to you at setup, they will perform spam screening, speech to text transcription, and send it to you as an e-mail so you don't even have to call in to retrieve it. I've started using it myself and it's great. The free option is already way ahead of the traditional system Public Mobile runs.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@jpaiva83 wrote:

Plan A

@jpaiva83  Add to your block list. Setup the Not reachable forwarding rule to a US number. Click here for more info on how to do that:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/call-forwarding

Plan B

How do I delete messages from voicemail without using my minuets? Is there an app that does this by public mobile? I do not want to use some third party app and give them access to my voicemail.

You can download Hangouts Dialer or similar free App that uses the internet to dial any NA number for free. Just dial the PM voicemail number 647-580-4001 and follow the prompts to retrieve/delete your voicemail for free.

Plan C

I will disable voicemail if I have no choice.

Try/test above suggestions.

Like said.

Delete from another number to save minutes. 

Stop all voicemail  by unsubscribing and restart it at a later date. 

Or change your phone number.

Does a blocked number show in “recent calls”? Could check recents before voicemail maintenance. 

If the caller falls under the “fatal attraction” category you may have deal with the appropriate authority. 

I don’t really mean fatal attraction but definitely someone you just don’t want to hear from. 

Bonjour @Anonymous J'allais pour le dramatique. Merci.

jpaiva83

Voicemail disabled for all. Not my first choice but its done.

I was looking for the simplest, easiest solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gblackma 

How do you access your voicemail with a viola? Do you play a high note to simulate the touch tone sound?

With all your activity also on the French side...it's voilà. One can even get away with just voila.

There...language police.

Tongue firmly planted in cheek.:)

@jpaiva83 , here's and article on disabling voicemail https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/add-an-extended-absence-greeting

However, why not try the TextNow route, or Google hangouts and Google dialer combined to call your voicemail if on a Android phone to check your voicemail from your own phone without using minutes. I outlined the method above.

jpaiva83

As the number is already blocked on my phone, my phone doesn't ring. The person just leaves a voicemail.

As there does not appear to be a way of blocking numbers at the "public mobile" level, I think I will go with Plan C. Just disable voicemail. It seems the simplest thing to do.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@jpaiva83 as far as I know, the only way is to block the numbers as you are doing. If like me, you place the phone in aeroplane mode or don not disturb at night, then the calls go straight to voicemail.

However, to save more, add the TextNow voip app and use it via Wifi to make / receive / send calls and texts in Canada and to the United States for free. You can also use it as I do to check my voicemail from my own phone without using the minutes from the PM plan. Simply dial your PM phone number - reject the call when it rings (this sends the call to voicemail) - press the * key to allow you to enter your password. - enter - and viola you are in your voicemail account - Hang up when you are finished. No minutes used. Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jpaiva83 

Use another phone to access your voicemail. Another phone could be a voip app on your phone like TextNow.

There's no way to block people leaving voicemail messages unless you use a third party voicemail system.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

To access voicemail messages from your mobile device, hold down the ‘1’ key on your phone keypad. You can also access your voicemail from a landline or any other phone line, by dialing your 10-digit phone number, selecting ‘Send’ or ‘Call’ and then pressing ‘*’ to skip the system greeting.

Need Help? Let's chat.