cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How NOT to treat your phone...

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Neat concept but the sliding camera seems like its just waiting to fail. Anyone out there on Xiaomi? How do they hold up?

11 REPLIES 11

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@shskr wrote:

Yikes! Who really test their phone this way..

@shskr he has a whole channel full of these types of videos, as well as "teardown" videos where he disassembles and then reassembles phones to see how they're built.  He does this so that others can learn about the design and durability of particular devices so they can make informed decisions beyond marketing hype.  Think of it as an augmentation to all the review videos that come out for phones.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@computergeek541, now that you mention it, the bricking was probably for that reason.

I didn't find it overly clunky, however, the lip under my right thumb did get in the way when using the keyboard.

All I remember is that I was using a BlackBerry 6100 at work (employer-supplied) and I loved the keyboard and the scroll wheel on it, so I got the Dream as it had a keyboard and a rolling ball for the scroll and select (and home) button.

I really enjoyed it for the 12 months I used it.

@stonechucker wrote:

My first Android phone was the HTC Dream.  Loved the slide out keyboard.  Too bad it didn't last.  Rogers released an update OTA and it bricked my device.  At least they replaced it at no cost for me, with the HTC Magic.  Didn't have a keyboard though 😞

I miss the physical keyboards, but the extra bulk to have one just doesn't work for me anymore.

Wasn't the bricking deliberate for that model because it couldn't make emergency calls? The dream was huge and clunky.  Back then, Android wasn't anything special.  Different era of cell phones...

My first Android phone was the HTC Dream.  Loved the slide out keyboard.  Too bad it didn't last.  Rogers released an update OTA and it bricked my device.  At least they replaced it at no cost for me, with the HTC Magic.  Didn't have a keyboard though 😞

I miss the physical keyboards, but the extra bulk to have one just doesn't work for me anymore.

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@TavXiaomi is one of the leading smartphone manufacturer in china. Time will tell if these will last but they don't want to make something that will break that easy, and harm their reputation. They tested the front camera slider 300,000 times with no damage.

The friend that I gifted the phone to is pretty rough with phones.  I think the abuse may be from thowing it into a purse with keys and other stuff and then it gets tossed around like in a blender.  So far, it is wearing well. 

Tav

The last silder phone I had was the Samsung Reclaim.

It slid into two pieces one day. It was not good.

Samsung-Reclaim-7.jpg

@shskr wrote:

What's the price compared to samsung, huewaei and others not including iphone?

Cheap, cheap.  I bought one to last summer, $250 all inclusive.  The phone has a 4000 mAh battery that provides between 10-11 hours of battery life.  Two days of usage between charges is absolutely possible.  The speaker on the phone is amazing for loudness and clarity.  I would not hesitate to recommend it.  They do have an android one edition with OS updates via google if you don't have a liking to MiUi.  I don't care for it because it is iOS like.  The Xiaomi OS is nice in that they have a built in firewall to block apps from having internet that don't need it.  For those who are geeky, bootloader unlock is with 360 hour wait time after registering for the unlock. 

shskr

What's the price compared to samsung, huewaei and others not including iphone?

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I love watching Zack's videos. I am pretty sure I have seen each one of them now. They really start to scratch that itch at level 6 with deeper grooves at level 7.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@TavXiaomi is one of the leading smartphone manufacturer in china. Time will tell if these will last but they don't want to make something that will break that easy, and harm their reputation. They tested the front camera slider 300,000 times with no damage.

shskr

Yikes! Who really test their phone this way..

Need Help? Let's chat.