cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here we go again

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Google tried to placate to carriers on android O by blocking the add APN feature which amounts to SIM locking through an alternate method.  Looks like that was just a small test and now they are ready for a full release in android P.  Time to reaffirm the vows to avoid carrier devices and/or run third party roms.  I don't know that I would trust the CRTC to police their own policy on unlocked phones.  They had their heads buried in the sand during the android O test session.  I don't expect them to be any wiser the next time. 

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/01/21/android-q-sim-restrictions-carrier-lock/

12 REPLIES 12

@mimmo wrote:

doesnt rooting make some apps not usable like google pay?

Yes, it does.

I do not not know what the current status is, but at least at one point, Netflix would not run on rooted Android devices.  In addition, there were also problems with most of the Canadian national tv network apps (CTV, GlobalGo, City Video).  I don't know for sure because my device isn't rooted but that's at least what I read in some of the user reviews.

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mimmo wrote:

Netflix and Super Mario Run aren't fans of rooted phones. It would not surprise me if Google Pay wasn't into working on rooted phones. You can flash a Magisk Module to fix that sort of issue though.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Alex888 wrote:

Yet another reason to avoid LG products like the plauge, and why more people should learn how to root their phones.

@Alex888 that's one takeaway from this discussion.  The other is that this is yet another reason to avoid buying your devices from your carrier.  Buy direct.  My OnePlus 7 won't have any carrier-enforced lockdown, because it will come direct from the Shenzhen factory.  It won't be missing a SIM card slot or running butchered firmware under the carrier's update approval control, both like the T-mobile version of the 6T, nor any carrier imposed branding, boot animations, or bloatware.  Buy direct!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NDesai wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I rooted an old LG and installed different ROM's. Different because I can't for the life of me get Google Play Store to work on any of them. Very frustrating. I didn't know these aftermarket roms would do that. Not that I care about the phone. I'm just toolin' around. But still.

If anyone has any ideas.... 🙂

Many of them have a saperate zip that you have to manually install to access playstore. 

Thanks. Yup. Tried several gapps and installing apk's etc...doesn't seem to want to work.

@Anonymous wrote:

I rooted an old LG and installed different ROM's. Different because I can't for the life of me get Google Play Store to work on any of them. Very frustrating. I didn't know these aftermarket roms would do that. Not that I care about the phone. I'm just toolin' around. But still.

Many of them have a saperate zip that you have to manually install to access playstore. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

Not just apps, some key features like wifi on some roms. XDA people just love to test for some reason Smiley Indifferent

mimmo

Yet another reason to avoid LG products like the plauge, and why more people should learn how to root their phones.

@popping wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Google tried to placate to carriers on android O by blocking the add APN feature which amounts to SIM locking through an alternate method.  Looks like that was just a small test and now they are ready for a full release in android P.  Time to reaffirm the vows to avoid carrier devices and/or run third party roms.  I don't know that I would trust the CRTC to police their own policy on unlocked phones.  They had their heads buried in the sand during the android O test session.  I don't expect them to be any wiser the next time. 

Together with manufacturers like LG amd Huawei had locked their bootloader.  It is harder to make people to load custom ROM.

LG Canada - unlocked phones but non-unlockable bootloader

LG (some U.S. models) - unlockable boot loader, but missing hotspot, and now this nonsense

pick your poison

popping

@will13am wrote:

Together with manufacturers like LG amd Huawei had locked their bootloader.  It is harder to make people to load custom ROM.

LOL @ "allowed and excluded carriers"

anti-competitive anyone?

Need Help? Let's chat.