cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help setting up MMS and Data on Nokia 3310 3G?

nezahkard
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the service, and I managed to find some great tips on getting my wife's LG G5 working. However, I can't seem to find anything in the community forums or on Reddit to help me set up my Nokia 3310 3G (2017) service.

I found some guides, and they helped me get MMS receiving, but I'm still not able to send MMS or access the internet via the Opera browser.

My current settings are as follows:

Operator: Manual -> Public Mobile

Network Type: 3G if available

Mobile Data: On

Pin Code Request: Off

Customer PIN Code: Off

Access Point:

Name: Public Mobile

Username: Empty

Password: Empty

Access Point: sb.mb.com

Gateway: 74.49.0.18

Port: 0

Set Home Page: Empty

DNS address: Empty

Network Type: HTTP

IP Type: IPv4

Access Point 2

Name: Public Mobile MMS

Username: Empty

Password: Empty

Access Point: sp.mb.com

Gateway: 74.49.0.18

Port: 80

Set Home Page: https://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

DNS address: 74.49.0.18

Network Type: HTTP

IP Type: IPv4

Any help would be great!

21 REPLIES 21

dthisner

This worked for me, both internet and MMS. 

Only thing that does not work for me is when I am trying to do a software update. 

NOTE!

The MMS Set Home Page is HTTP, do not use HTTPS! <<--- remove the S

Access Points:

• Leave TELUS and TELUS MMS alone.
  • Add the following:
    • Name: Public Mobile
    • Username: Empty
    • Password: Empty
    • Access Point: sp.mb.com
    • Gateway: Empty
    • Port: 0
    • Set Home Page: Empty
    • DNS Address: Empty
    • Network Type: HTTP
    • IP Type: IPv4
  • Also add:
    • Name: Public Mobile MMS
    • Gateway: 74.49.0.18
    • Port: 80
    • Set Home Page: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
    • DNS Address: 74.49.0.18
  • Click on Public Mobile to activate it.
  • Then go into System -> Messages -> MMS -> SIM Access Point and set to Public Mobile MMS.

pharaohpeter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mint9317 

Your answer helped me A LOT!

The ONLY thing I changed from your set up was making the website http:// instead of https://.

I also found that sometimes it takes long to send a picture, so I turn off my mobile data and then turn it on again and it almost always sends the MMS after.

Honestly though, I probably won't be sending many MMS with this phone for obvious reasons, but as long as I can access the internet and download MMS, I'm good.

Thanks a lot for your help! 🙂

mint9317

If anyone is still looking to get both Internet Data and MMS texting working on their Nokia 3310 3G, I have both working on mine fine.

The comment mentioned earlier with the access point information is almost correct but you must remove the gateway on the regular "Public Mobile" access point for Internet. And have that one activated for phone data use. The "Public Mobile MMS" one is correct and should only be activated inside the messages portion to activate MMS texting.

Access Points:

• Add the following:
    • Gateway: Empty
  • Also add:
    • Set Home Page: https://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
  • Click on "Public Mobile" ACCESS POINT to activate Data. (NOT Public Mobile MMS)
  • Then go into Messages -> MMS -> SIM Access Point and set to "Public Mobile MMS" access point to activate MMS Texting!

By having your system access point setting to Public Mobile, and your Messages pointed to Public Mobile MMS access point you will enjoy both MMS and use of Opera Mini for surfing. I can confirm I have both working on my Nokia 3310 3G Single Sim Model TA-1036 without issue.

mccukim
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The user guide is entirely unhelpful, to be frank.\

But, I did change the message settings to Public Mobile MMS as well, but since then have lost my internet connectivity. Picture messages don't send either. I've tried variations of the settings since then, but I think I might just reset it to factory default and start over, see if I missed a dot here or a click there lol.

nezahkard

Yeah... That never got me anywhere @ilikepm . Like I said, MMS works just fine. Just found it funny how @mccukim managed to get Internet with the same settings I put, but not MMS.

Speaking of which... @mccukim, did you make sure to go to System-> Messages -> MMS -> SIM access point and set it to Public Mobile MMS? That might be your MMS problem.

ilikepm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Try the phone's user guide directions to set things up: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/support/nokia-3310-3g-user-guide/connectivity-settings

Hope this helps!

nezahkard

I've found that the Nokia 3310 3G is just finicky with its data. I haven't been able to get the internet and the MMS running in tandem since I got it. That said, I found that changing the highlighted network in the network settings changes things. Also, if you set the network to manual and select Public Mobile, the MMS works.

If you can get both working at the same time, that'd be impressive.

mccukim
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was so grateful to find this today! I'm currently setting up my Nokia 3310 3g for the first time, just purchased today, and the information here helped! 

Oddly, with these settings I can access the internet, but can't send picture messages? Unsure why that would be! I'll keep trying to figure it out, I thought maybe the phone just wasn't MMS capable but that can't be so if other people are managing to make it happen! 

nezahkard

I have no idea what I did differently, but the following settings finally got it working, although my internet seems to be gone now... Here's my settings on the Nokia 3310 3G (Model TA-1036) for anyone else who tries to connect from now on.

Network Settings

• Operator: Public Mobile 3G
  • Network Type: 3G if available
  • Mobile Data: On
  • PIN Code Request: Off
  • Customer PIN Code: Off

Access Points:

• Add the following:
  • Also add:
    • Set Home Page: https://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
  • Click on Public Moible MMS to activate it.
  • Then go into System -> Messages -> MMS -> SIM Access Point and set to Public Mobile MMS.

Internet is not working anymore, but at least I can send and receive picture messages now. If I find out how to get the internet working again, I'll edit this answer.

nezahkard

@JCjr My phone is the single sim version. Model is TA-1036. I think it's a bit newer or something. I tried the reset, but all that did was shove on the TELUS presets on the SIM that don't let me even receive MMS. Still having trouble sending the MMS after following your suggestion. That said, internet is working now. Still no luck sending pictures.

@stonechucker I didn't use Bell or Telus before. The IEMI on the page provided said it should work though.

JCjr

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/public-mobile-canada

It should work.

edit: NOT the dual-SIM version, but those are not really sold much in North America anyway:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/nokia-3310-3g

I'm not great with know the bands and frequencies, but the info in the manual showed the following for your phone:

Network and connectivity

Network speed 3G

Dual band 900/1800 MHz +3G Band 1 and 8

(Single-SIM) Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900 + 3G Band 1, 2, 5, 8

Bluetooth 2.1

Micro-USB

Can anyone who does know the Bands and Frequency help with this?

Have you used this phone on Bell or Telus networks previously?

Have you checked the Get Started Page and try the IEMI look up on your device (Step 1 on that page).

JCjr

Do you have custom APN settings in your phone?  If you have a Public Mobile SIM, it should have default APN settings that would work for you.  Try resetting your APN settings to the default so that it uses what's in the SIM.

"Reboot" your phone too (turn it off completely, and turn it back on).  Then try the web browser.

If it still doesn't work, double check to make sure mobile data connection is on and/or your WiFi connection is enabled, depending on how you want to get your data.  You'll need a data plan or data add-on for your service if you're using mobile data, of course.  You can check your plan on the Public Mobile account page.

Just FYI: Here's the manual for your phone:  https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/support/api/pdf/nokia-3310-3g-user-guide

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@nezahkard I was looking at the manuel for it and there is no mention of mms capability it really is very restrictive in it's capabilities 

nezahkard

@iliketotalk Unfortunately, the device has no method to update via wifi since it only has data connection.

@nezahkard ok lol I see now is there anyway to update your browser in settings for that matter a system update?

nezahkard

@iliketotalk That's the wrong phone you're looking at, probably.

This is the one I'm using. I think you're looking at the old 90s model it's based off of.

@nezahkard oic I just looked it up omg its 20 years old I mean no disrespect but Im surprised it works at all

nezahkard

@iliketotalk I have data on. The Nokia 3310 3G is a dumb-phone, so it doesn't have any other browsers. The only thing working right now is the receiving of MMS images.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@nezahkard do you have your data on when you send an mms with pic? do your other browsers work?

Need Help? Let's chat.