cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! What do I buy?? G930A or G930T or G930V?

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi I need some help please not sure which one to buy. There are 3 options I have to get a Samsung Galaxy S7 G930T(T-Mobile/MetroPCS) or G930A(AT&T/Cricket) or G930V(Verizon)

All 3 models have
2G bands     GSM 850 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands     HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
4G bands     LTE band 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600)

But exclusive to each phone are certain frequencies.
Only the G930A (AT&T) has
3G bands     900
4G bands     LTE band 1(2100), ,8(900), 12(700), 20(800), 29(700), 30(2300), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)

Only the G930T (T-mobile) model has
3G bands     1700(AWS)
4G bands     LTE band 1(2100), 12(700), 13(700), 20(800)

Only the G930V (Verizon) model has
3G bands     900 / & CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
4G bands     LTE  13(700), 20(800), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300)

Which do I get and why? G930A or G930T or G930V? Thanks!

26 REPLIES 26

Edited- Explained on PM. Thanks @bridonca

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 I guess to each their own!  I'm an AMOLED-or-bust kinda guy personally.  Cheers!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

At the risk of veering slightly off-topic:  @computergeek541 have you ever actually had burn-in problems on an OLED-screened phone?  I've had several OLED phones--off the top of my head:  my current OnePlus 5T, OnePlus 3 (still use on WiFi for some light tasks and gaming), 1st gen Moto X, and I'm pretty sure my old BB Z10, each used for about 12 months+, and not one of them has shown any issue of burn-in.  In fact I've had the OP3 in fairly consistent usage since it came out in June 2016 without any indication of burn-in, and my OP5T has been used more heavily than any phone I've used before, again with no issues in nearly 13 months so far.

You're right that this has nothing to do with the OP's original questions about which variant of the Samsung model to get, but I think that we've already given him/her a few opinions about that.

As for screen burn-in on AMOLED/other types of organic screens, I've only ventured into them a couple of times, but yes, each time I've experienced burn in.  This includes the Nokia N97 (both mine and a family member's had burn-in of the clock image from the home screen),  and an HTC One S.  Since, I've given up on OLED technology.  I've also come across a Galaxy Nexus devices with the issue, and I've also noticed a bunch of used Samsung devices up for sale on ebay that have had this occur.  

I realize that the technology has likely gotten slightly better in the past years, but the risk of degradation especially of the blue pixels is something that still bothers me. I know that in many cases, I'm giving up better battery life and a more vibrant display, but I'm gaining more realistic looking images and colors.  I'll admit that the glow from the edges of the backlight (bleed) from IPS panels is an annoyance.

srlawren

At the risk of veering slightly off-topic:  @computergeek541 have you ever actually had burn-in problems on an OLED-screened phone?  I've had several OLED phones--off the top of my head:  my current OnePlus 5T, OnePlus 3 (still use on WiFi for some light tasks and gaming), 1st gen Moto X, and I'm pretty sure my old BB Z10, each used for about 12 months+, and not one of them has shown any issue of burn-in.  In fact I've had the OP3 in fairly consistent usage since it came out in June 2016 without any indication of burn-in, and my OP5T has been used more heavily than any phone I've used before, again with no issues in nearly 13 months so far.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am wrote:

I can't believe that you would refer to Xiaomi as an unknown vendor just because you don't know about them.  They are reputable and a dominant manufacturer for the value oriented market.  LG is not worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Xiaomi on the success of their cellular divisions.

Why on earth would you go on and on about gaming Koodo for cheap phones in the Public Mobile community.  Loose lips sinks ships my friend.  Think!  Public Mobile=Koodo=Telus.

Who services and sells Xiaomi phones in Canada?  Is there an Xiaomi phone made for the Canadian market?  What does it cost to return the phone?  These become problems when something goes wrong with your phone. 

I hear great things about Xiaomi phones, and if I was in China, that would be the brand I would go to.  Here in Canada, not so much.  As far as I know, Xiaomi still does not sell a phone that works on all bands in the Canadian market.  Their phones have not been certified for the Canadian market.  The fact that Xiaomi does not have infastructure in Canada is not a reason in itself not to buy a Xiaomi product, but it does imply that a deep discount should be on their product.  That is not the case, so there is no good reason to buy an Xiaomi product, currently.

As for upsetting the churning apple cart, I am not worried.  Telus will always have excess inventory they need to unload, so instead of offering deep discounts on aging, unwanted inventory,  they use their Koodo brand and promotions to off load their excess inventory.  It is good business.  Telus gets rid of their inventory with the chance they can also have another long term customer, but the primary goal is to get rid of the old gear, the long term contract is gravy to them.   I say this, because have you ever seen a new, popular phone, on these promotions?  Not going to happen, for the most part!

So why does Telus always have these promotions?   Because they always have too much inventory.   Why would they do something like that every year, that sounds dumb?  It is not, when you buy in volume.  If you know you need 80 000 units, but you get a better deal when you buy 100 000 units, you might as well get 100 000 units, sell what you can at top rate, and then use the rest for warranty purposes, and pawn the rest off to the flankers. 

Sure this attracts people that want the best phone for the best price, that will drop their koodo contract as soon as they fulfill their contractual commitments,  which I was one of them, till recently.  Koodo finally offered a plan I was willing to stay long term with.   So they can even snag the churners also.  

The way Telus does things improves their bottom line, and they do not have a better way of doing it, so it is staying where it is, no matter how many people know about it.  The only difference about more people knowing about it, is that the promotions will be shorter, because the excess inventory will be cleared out quicker.  Of course all the means is Telus will order an even larger amount of new product, to allow the cycle to continue!

@will13am wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

@Dunkgirl, get an LG G6 from Koodo.  $240 small tab, and there are fees and rebates, depending on who you buy from.  But is is a new phone, and it is a good phone, and if something goes wrong with it, you have better support.

Lol, friends don't let friends but LG G phones.  Search boot loop and every model of LG phone shows up.  The G6 is sure to receive just as much support as S7.  BTW, it's not so proper to discuss Koodo phone churning at the sister brand's forum. 

New LG closeout phones are the best phones!  Whatever defects that were uncovered get ironed out by the end of the LG phone's production run, and the price ends up cheaper because of the published defects.   LG seems to have gotten better, because I have heard nothing significant about the runs of G6 and G7 phones.  I am certainly happy about the G6 I got.

As for churning phones, by far, compared to buying used or from an unknown vendor in China, buying from Koodo is a much better option.   Public Mobile should be selling Koodo's closeout phones anyway!  

Since Koodo decided to poach Public Mobile customers already, it is very hard to believe there is a moral high ground when it comes to such matters.  I keep on churning Koodo closeout product, and vendors are still happy to deal with me, and will continue to be.  Telus knows what is going on, yet they continue the practice.

I can't believe that you would refer to Xiaomi as an unknown vendor just because you don't know about them.  They are reputable and a dominant manufacturer for the value oriented market.  LG is not worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Xiaomi on the success of their cellular divisions.

Why on earth would you go on and on about gaming Koodo for cheap phones in the Public Mobile community.  Loose lips sinks ships my friend.  Think!  Public Mobile=Koodo=Telus.

@Dunkgirl, if you are not comfortable with Xiaomi, give this Nokia a look.  It's android one and in the same price range as the Mi A2.  B&H photo is a good electronics store.  They ship to Canada.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1404213-REG/nokia_11pl2b11a07_6_1_2018_32gb_smartphone.html?K...

The LG G6 is actually a really good phone.  I'm using one now. As for buying last year's model of an LG phone, that is a good way to get a lower price, but that applies to any brand's products.  It's just that LG devices tend to drop in value at a far greater rate, likely due to a poor company reputation (ie. bootloops, poor quality control, etc.).  I'll admit to a crazy software bug in the LG G6 that causes that ringtone and notification volumes to change apparently at random.  The ringtone and notifications are also automatically quieted when headphones are plugged in (meaning that you have to set the volumes to full or you won't hear it). 

Those messed up volume attributes asside, this LG G6 is solidly built and performs quite well.  And in the end, it's the only phone that checks off most of my needs/'wants in a phone:  Android 6 or higher, water resistance, miracast, FM radio, IPS screen (don't like OLED because of burn-in),  2GB RAM and 16GB storage or greater, etc.  The only thing that's missing from my list of what I expect in a phone is a removable battery, but the LG G6 comes the closest out of all possible phones that I know of.

Not too long ago (Black Friday), the Nokia 6.1 was being sold for less than $250 (CAD). I can't remember if it was amazon.ca or B&H Photo that had that price.

As for brands such as Huawei and Xiaomi, they might not be that well-known in this part of the world, but such companies are quite large globally.

@bridonca wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

@Dunkgirl, get an LG G6 from Koodo.  $240 small tab, and there are fees and rebates, depending on who you buy from.  But is is a new phone, and it is a good phone, and if something goes wrong with it, you have better support.

Lol, friends don't let friends but LG G phones.  Search boot loop and every model of LG phone shows up.  The G6 is sure to receive just as much support as S7.  BTW, it's not so proper to discuss Koodo phone churning at the sister brand's forum. 

New LG closeout phones are the best phones!  Whatever defects that were uncovered get ironed out by the end of the LG phone's production run, and the price ends up cheaper because of the published defects.   LG seems to have gotten better, because I have heard nothing significant about the runs of G6 and G7 phones.  I am certainly happy about the G6 I got.

As for churning phones, by far, compared to buying used or from an unknown vendor in China, buying from Koodo is a much better option.   Public Mobile should be selling Koodo's closeout phones anyway!  

Since Koodo decided to poach Public Mobile customers already, it is very hard to believe there is a moral high ground when it comes to such matters.  I keep on churning Koodo closeout product, and vendors are still happy to deal with me, and will continue to be.  Telus knows what is going on, yet they continue the practice.

@Dunkgirl, if you are not comfortable with Xiaomi, give this Nokia a look.  It's android one and in the same price range as the Mi A2.  B&H photo is a good electronics store.  They ship to Canada.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1404213-REG/nokia_11pl2b11a07_6_1_2018_32gb_smartphone.html?K...

bridonca

@will13am wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

BTW, do you do anything mission critical on your phone like banking or making purchases?  Doing that on an S7 for the next 3 years is like using an computer running unpatched windows XP!  

@DunkgirlThis is a pretty important note from @will13am

Security these days is a big thing to consider when buying any technology that may take care of not only storing all of your personal details (even fingerprint info!) but also all your financial needs.

It's a real paradigm for many North Americans to shop brands that are not household names here.  Xiaomi is a household name on the world stage.  They are #3 worldwide for cell phone manufacturing.  Don't mix them with ZTE and Huawei, Xiaomi participates in the android one program and they allow bootloader unlocking.

https://www.techspot.com/news/75421-xiaomi-becomes-world-third-most-valuable-public-smartphone.html

@will13amI didn't buy the samsung, even though all my stuff is Samsung. I am sooo not sure what to do now. Looking into options from Xaiomi.

Sorry for introducing complication into your life.  The last time I used a Samsung product was the note 2.  I have explored all sorts of brands, tirelessly chasing value and unlockable bootloader.  Briefly thought one plus was the brand to covet.  They got too pricey.   Xiaomi is my current target.  

@bridonca wrote:

bridonca

You can order the phone direct from Koodo, then cancel your Koodo service as soon as you get the phone.  As long as you pay off the tab, you are good with Koodo.  If you order from Koodo directly, you do not have to pay an activation fee.  You order from a vendor like, Walmart, the Mobile Shop, or WOW mobile, you have to pay the activation fee and 3 months service on the lowest cost plan, but you can also receive gift cards or points from these vendors at around $300 to pay for this.  It is definatively more convoluted, but it is still cheaper, and safer than buying using used or from the other end of the world, and you get a really good phone!

Dunkgirl

@bridonca wrote:

@bridoncaI don't want to go to Koodo and I don't want to leave public mobile just for a phone. I would like to purchase the phone in cash upfront. No contract. No "tabs".

bridonca

Dunkgirl

@will13am wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

BTW, do you do anything mission critical on your phone like banking or making purchases?  Doing that on an S7 for the next 3 years is like using an computer running unpatched windows XP!  

Security these days is a big thing to consider when buying any technology that may take care of not only storing all of your personal details (even fingerprint info!) but also all your financial needs.

It's a real paradigm for many North Americans to shop brands that are not household names here.  Xiaomi is a household name on the world stage.  They are #3 worldwide for cell phone manufacturing.  Don't mix them with ZTE and Huawei, Xiaomi participates in the android one program and they allow bootloader unlocking.

https://www.techspot.com/news/75421-xiaomi-becomes-world-third-most-valuable-public-smartphone.html

@will13amI didn't buy the samsung, even though all my stuff is Samsung. I am sooo not sure what to do now. Looking into options from Xaiomi.

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

Thanks for the help guys. AT&T one it is.

@will13am wrote:

Going off topic a bit, why a galaxy S7? 

@will13am$250 all in brand new in the box.

Welp.  It's a Galaxy phone and it's 3 years old.  For the same money, I would buy a Mi A2 android one edition. 

@will13amI am not too sure...  the galaxy is older but its got a faster / newer cpu / gpu? Xaiomi hasn't started on OLED technology yet?

No the Mi A2 has IPS LCD screen (6 inch display vs 5.1 on the S7).  The CPU is mid range Snapdragon 660.  We are comparing a 3 years old flagship to something modern.  I believe new midrange >> 3 year old flagship.  The S7 will have no further software support whereas the android one program guarantee full software updates to July 2020 (think android Q, maybe android R) and security updates to July 2021 for the Mi A2.  These updates come directly from Google.  After July 2021, you can unlock the bootloader and receive further software support from the xda community.  Imagine having fresh software secure software from cradle to grave.  TouchWiz bloat (cringe) vs stock android.  The display doesn't run the phone, it's the software that runs it.  You owe it to yourself to give bloat free stock android a test drive.  You will never go back to OEM bloat.  

Dunkgirl

@will13am wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Welp.  It's a Galaxy phone and it's 3 years old.  For the same money, I would buy a Mi A2 android one edition. 

@will13amI am not too sure...  the galaxy is older but its got a faster / newer cpu / gpu? Xaiomi hasn't started on OLED technology yet?

@Dunkgirl wrote:

Hi I need some help please not sure which one to buy. There are 3 options I have to get a Samsung Galaxy S7 G930T(T-Mobile/MetroPCS) or G930A(AT&T/Cricket) or G930V(Verizon)

All 3 models have
2G bands     GSM 850 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands     HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
4G bands     LTE band 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600)

But exclusive to each phone are certain frequencies.
Only the G930A (AT&T) has
3G bands     900
4G bands     LTE band 1(2100), ,8(900), 12(700), 20(800), 29(700), 30(2300), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)

Only the G930T (T-mobile) model has
3G bands     1700(AWS)
4G bands     LTE band 1(2100), 12(700), 13(700), 20(800)

Only the G930V (Verizon) model has
3G bands     900 / & CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
4G bands     LTE  13(700), 20(800), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300)

My opinion:  This may be contrary to the opinion of of others, but I would say to go for the T-Mobile variant.  If you ever decide to switch companies, it will be compatible with Videotron/Fizz and Freedom's 3g networks.  I also believe that LTE Band 13 could prove useful in Canada.

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Dunkgirl

@will13am wrote:

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

It is toss up between AT&T and T-Mobile.  Telus uses bands 12, 13, 17, 29 for 700 Mhz LTE.  Each of these phones has 2 out of 4. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

Actually I've also witnessed B30 (at least in the GVA) https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Fun-with-LTE-Discovery-widget-LTE-ban... So I think I'd lean toward the AT&T version.  But again, any of them will be fine, with the "extra" bands just being a bonus.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is toss up between AT&T and T-Mobile.  Telus uses bands 12, 13, 17, 29 for 700 Mhz LTE.  Each of these phones has 2 out of 4. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

srlawren

@bridonca wrote:

Get the AT&T version.  If you are on the fringe, you will appreciated LTE band 12

@bridonca note: also available on the T-Mobile version

@Dunkgirl wrote:

Which do I get and why? G930A or G930T or G930V? Thanks!

@Dunkgirl you would actually be fine with any of these as they all support the required 3G frequencies plus the core LTE band 4, and common auxilliary bands 2, 5, and 7.  You may get slightly more LTE coverages with the AT&T and T-Mobile versions than the Verizon but they will all work well.

@Dunkgirl, either the AT&T or the T-Mobile devices.  They're the roaming partners for Public Mobile in the US, so the devices will work.

bridonca

Get the AT&T version.  If you are on the fringe, you will appreciated LTE band 12

Need Help? Let's chat.