cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Data not working even after APN set? [LGG2 D802]

zetta_big
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've set up the APN like the other posts have suggested but I still dont have data.

Granted, I've just activated my Public mobile account a couple of hours ago but I can talk and text on it, which means everything should have transferred.

I'm using an LG G2 D802 brought unlocked in Hong Kong running stock 4.4(kit kat).

When I try to run a ping test on the service menu, its says:

Ping IpAddr: Fail: IP addr not reachable

Ping Hostme( wee.google.com): Fail: Host unreachable

Also, when I turn on data the phone does not show the standard up arrow down arrow data icon on the notification bar. Pretty much, nothing happens.

44 REPLIES 44

@Felicia You have come into a very long thread so I'm not sure whether you have already checked:

- your self serve account to confirm your plan includes data, or a data add-on

- you can surf the web normally when you connect your phone on wifi

- you can send/receive picture messages

- PM cellular data ever worked on your phone

Have you sent an email to PM describing your issue?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Felicia
Its on 3g, it's not from Pm but its unlocked. However it's a XT1034 not sure if that matters.
Lastly thx sat, but it s been a couple days and resets now.
As I said. I'm online within Google Play and Gmail, plus text and talk work (if I had a plan supporting them). As for checking data usage for each app, i monitoredchrome and each unsuccessful page load about 15 kb adds to 'data' flow. PLAY expectedly uses a normal amount... I. E from refreshing app page graphics.
Firefox, puffin and native browser none load pages and chrome is updated. I'll check the moto apn settings on pg 1 as suggested and see if they r different somehow but I'm uncertain that explains my issue

sat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I first used the APN settings that I got from the Public Mobile community page, data did not work for me. It was set correctly i.e. 3G with correct APN settings. It took a couple phone restarts and about an hour and it started working automatically. So restart your phone a couple times and wait for a while for the first time. 

I do have 2 phones atm from Public Mobile and data works on both 🙂 (Galaxy S3 and Moto G 2nd Gen)

Martin
Legend
Legend
Felicia,

To ensure that you have the correct APN settings for your Moto G, visit the first page of this thread. You will find there a post of APN settings copied directly from the poster's Moto G. If yours are identical to those, I recommend uninstalling Chrome and then installing the newest version.

Prior to doing the above, did you install or upgrade any apps, after which your problem occurred? Further, did you buy your Moto G from PM when it was transitioning to the new network? If not, is it a Moto G XT1032 or not?

If none of the above applies to you, please proceed with uninstalling Chrome and installing the newest version.

Cheers.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

A first-generation 2013 Moto G has the option of operating on 2G and 3G. As part of the process of elimination of possible causes for your problem, please check to see that your phone is on 3G.

After doing so, please return to the community to update us.

Thank you.

Felicia
A bit of new detail.. Google play works but only to look through apps, but not download any.
ONLY gmail app works confirmed send and receive, but not yahoo mail app for instance as like All other apps behaving like they're offline.
Chrome/Firefox still goes nowhere but tries to reach publicmobile site zero balance page. I did successfully open my account page yesterday. Neither did i inadvertently use my 150 either... As iI can look throughGoogle play AL like.
DU speed test shows. 05 mb/s down. 05 up as final result (approx 50 kb) but 3-6 kb/s while test runs.
I have no unusual firewalls etc or anti virus I'm aware of

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @Felicia, I recall the 1st Gen Moto G is a 3G phone, and should have the 3G band that Public Mobile operates. You mentioned that the Gmail and Play Store work, but not browsing.  In your setting, when you check mobile data, you should see a list of app showing how much data has been used.  Please check if your browser (chrome or internet or browser) is using any data.  To me, the browser and your gmail should consume the same path to the mobile network.  Thus, there is no reason why browser is not working.

Felicia
Moto g 1st gen. Update, my Gmail works, my Google Play Store works fast actually. Cannot browse, either at all or virtually not speed.
I'm confident my apn settings r correct and phone is compatible, but no clue what needs tweaking

vrance

Hi @Martin, this is the thread that I was referring to:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/How-do-I-know-if-my-phone-will-work-on...

I know that Rogers or Fido allow only LTE 2600 device, and I have connected to them with the LTE 2600 device only (many Asian phones have LTE 2600 but not 1700/2100 some years ago), and was not sure if LTE 700 is standalone or not.  You are correct about LTE 1700/2100 since they are paired.  But WCDMA 850 or 1900 can be standalone.  I has WCDMA 850 device only, and can connect to the 3G without 1900.  Hope that someone will clarifies this.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi vrance,

I will say this, but it's not a reply because I'm not 100% certain. Think of it as food for thought, OK?

A phone that is compatible with PM's network uses 1700 MHz as the frequency to upload data from the phone to a tower, and 2100 MHz to download data from a tower to the phone. A phone cannot function properly without using 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz, plus 850 MHz and 1900 MHz, nor can it operate fully, using only 700 MHz, even if 850 MHz and 1900 MHz are included.

Cheers.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

There is a responder, whom I call chuk, who is very knowledgeable about such matters. It would be to our benefit if he were to see this thread.

Cheers.

vrance

Hi @Martin, I am also not sure about LTE 700 since I just read from the forum here someone mentioning it.  Thus, I just tried and was unable to connect, but I am not sure if my setting is correct.  Hope that someone with that information can advise us so that everyone will be sure about it.

Martin
Legend
Legend
vrance,

I reply to, or comment on, a post only if I'm 100% certain. If my degree of certainty is 99.99%, I say nothing because users deserve facts, not guesses.

In the case of your most recent post, I'm not 100% certain.

I trust that you will understand my reasoning.

Cheers.

vrance

Hi @Martin, after reading your thread, I was curious if I can connect to band 17 (LTE 700) only.  I tried it in my unlocked ATT LG Flex 2, which I can choose the band in the hidden menu.  To my surprise, I can only connect to band 4 (1700/2100) only even my phone supports band 4 (1700/2100), band 7 (2600) and band 17 (700).  I read the thread someone can connect with LTE 700.  I tried both band 7 and band 17 are not working, only band 4 is working.  Any other people who can select a particular band, please try and tell us which one is working.  I know that all the Canada carriers support band 4, but some supports more (like Bell and Rogers support LTE 2600) and Telus supports LTE 700. I am not 100% sure if we select LTE 700 only, will the phone work.

Martin
Legend
Legend
vrance,

If I understand your most recent post correctly, I miscommunicated. The phone requires 850, 1900, 1700 and 2100. It does not need 700.

Cheers.

vrance

Hi @Martin, thanks for your clarification.  I really mean that phone either have the 3G 850/1900 or LTE 700 or LTE 1700/2100 to work in Public Mobile instead of just a comma.

Martin
Legend
Legend
vrance,

I beg to differ with part of your 11:09 pm EDT post.

You were correct in stating that the OP's phone requires 3G 850 (MHz, Band 5) and 1900 (MHz, Band 2).

The part with which I disagree is, "LTE 700, 1700/2100". The 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies, which, when paired, are Band 4, and are absolutely necessary for LTE. The 700 MHz frequency (Band 17) is optional as it is LTE-Advanced, which is known for penetration of basements.

FYI.

vrance

Hi @Felicia, please advise which phone (brand and model number, and may be any variant) you are using.  If the phone does not have 3G 850/1900 or LTE 700, 1700/2100, it will not work in Public Mobile.  After you have provided that information, someone in this forum will help.

Felicia
Same problem here. Precisely used same settings on same model phone copying my friends identically.
I signed up prepaid DATA ONLY, and have Internet that is effectively off but does register as '3g' at 6 kb/s. Browser slowly worked on public mobile portal pages then sent me to link ending in.... /Zerobalance
My balance is indeed 0, however my paid for service should not be crippled. Apps don't recognize so faint a connection as to seem offline.
Finally ilive in toronto, along with my friend whom gets excellent data speed.
Please help, i have a 10 day plan and wasted 1and counting my 150 mb unusable, despite APN settings advised everywhere followed

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^That doesn't mean one is Right & the other is wrong. Different Androids running different OS version on different OEM's have different ways to put in APN settings. So that doesn't mean what you posted will work with every Android. Just like what @Cyber posted didn't work in this case.

Actually, @Luddite, if you look at both of My APN Versions and Cyber's Link carefully, There IS a BIG Difference.

Not trying to be mean, looked at mine and Comparing to That Link version, Something's amiss

That's Great to hear. Glad My APN Settings and Tethering Guide Helped to solve your Data Issues

zetta_big

to me it made not much of a difference but to others i will be a god idea to keep the syntax highlighting.

So that means, I was MORE Specific

Did the Color Coding help you input Correct settings?

zetta_big

I think this is the biggest difference between the suggested setting and the solution:

APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

Thanks for the clarification.

zetta_big

I used this setting: 

APN Settings:

Name: Mobile Internet

APN: sp.mb.com

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

Authentication type: Not set

APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

APN enable/disable: APN enabled

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

@makkahn28 It looks to me that @zetta_big found that the "Tethering" settings are the ones that worked?

Also, your suggested settings are definitely slightly different than those posted by PM here http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-on-my-smartphone/....

I agree with you that the Community needs some additional direction on this topic.

So, who's was more accurate? Mine or Cyber's?

This is just to understand, and hopefully alert PPL about this. Important

zetta_big

prev APN settings were the default one that this post had said. These look like the default answer to most queries. I think the reson my phone did not act in the same way because D802 edition of my phone is the international edition, so the network capabilities probably need to be be more defined to connect to the network that is needed.

Need Help? Let's chat.