cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble with phone calls

acho
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I switched over to Mobile a few weeks ago and I'm having trouble receiving and making regular cellular calls and FaceTime. When someone calls me, it seems to connect but I can't hear anything nor can the caller. Same thing happens when I try to initiate the call. Or when I actually manage to connect, I get some awful interference and then sometimes the call drops. Nothing to do with reception, both myself and other caller in perfectly fine range for reception.

11 REPLIES 11

@acho 

Unfortunately it is a hardware issue and a common one on iPhone 7 and 7 plus. However it is very fixible....with microsoldering the audio IC ( integrated circuit) in place.Heres some more info on this issue....

https://www.ifixit.com/News/32783/how-to-fix-a-grayed-out-speaker-icon-on-the-iphone-7-or-7-plus

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@darlicious , while rooting and sideloading apps on android is quite common, it's not the same with iOS.  There's all sorts of dialer options on android.  Good luck finding an alternate dialer app for the iPhone.  The term walled garden is there for a reason.  

@acho 

I'm having a similar issue. Check for your phone app. I've just discovered the previous owner of the phone I'm troubleshooting uninstalled the phone app and only had WhatsApp and nothing set as default. It's a possibility.

acho

I think this is a hardware issue and not Public Mobile. Thanks, all!

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@acho try resetting your network settings

1. From the home screen navigate to Settings>General>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings
If prompted enter your passcode
3. Tap Reset Network Settings
4. Restart your phone

acho

Strangely, the audio button is greyed out. I'm using an iPhone 7. I have a feeling it could be a hardware issue and not a Public Mobile issue. Thanks!

acho

Didn't work but thanks for the suggestion!

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@acho 

I can understand your frustration with this. The Telus network is currently up so we’ll have to troubleshoot on your side. Let’s first make sure your iOS is up to date. You can open settings > general > software update. After you update check and see if the problem persists. If it does, set your phone to airplane mode for 10 seconds then back off. Check to see if it works, if not remove the SIM and insert it back in.

@acho 

Do have the same issue across all calling apps?  That would help narrow it down to the microphone for instance. What is the make and model of your phone?

@acho wrote:

I switched over to Mobile a few weeks ago and I'm having trouble receiving and making regular cellular calls and FaceTime. When someone calls me, it seems to connect but I can't hear anything nor can the caller. Same thing happens when I try to initiate the call. Or when I actually manage to connect, I get some awful interference and then sometimes the call drops. Nothing to do with reception, both myself and other caller in perfectly fine range for reception.

Reception issues can't be rule out simply because you have signal. On the network end, a whole bunch of strange things can happen.  I would suggest trying your SIM card in a different device if at all possible.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@acho 

Here’s how to contact the Moderator Team (Public Mobile representative) for assistance:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Choose the quote bubble in the lower right hand corner and follow the prompts.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.
Need Help? Let's chat.