cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have any people had overheating and screen problems with Samsung A20 phone?

Kate_mcc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If this is the wrong place to ask if others have had problems with the Samsung A20 please let me know.

I got my Samsung A20 in late October and started using it in November (my LG had started having performance issues). Starting mid last month my new Samsung A20 started to overheat. It did so three or four times while just sitting charging on a table.

Just over a week ago (about one or two days after the last time it overheated) the screen stopped working. I went to a Samsung authorized shop and they indicated while the glass screen wasn't cracked, the touch membrane under it was cracking. This phone has spent it's entire life in a case that looks like a construction worker would have it. The rubber all around it and all. Now, I will not try to say the phone had never fallen off a table and landed on my wooden floor but that has never hurt either of my Samsung TAB 4 tablets or older phones!

I am just wondering if anyone else has had problems with this model. I see overheating reports about it but have questions if others have had screen problems after overheating!

If this is the wrong forum for this kind of conversation please let me know.

Kate

8 REPLIES 8

Common sense prevails too. Don't leave any electronic device out in the direct sun at the beach or in your closed up car on the dashboard. 

hyT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Kate_mcc 

People often protect their phones from physical damage with armour-like casing, but forget that some cases may impede heat dissipation and lead to overheating. Heat could swell the battery and may damage adjacent parts. I suggest not to use any case at all.

@Kate_mcc, I know some apps that I have on my phone does overheat my phone compared to other apps. It also depends on how long you on the app too. In those rare cases, I just delete the app as it drains my battery quickly, and the phone overheats. I myself have an Asus phone but my sister has had a Samsung phone that only lasted a couple of months. She got her Samsung phone for free but they wouldn't give her a new phone to replace it. She had to get a different phone. 

Another aspect of it if Samsung doesn't want to replace the phone, maybe go on one of their forums and see if others have an issue. Maybe the comments that you generate may result in Samsung discussing the issue privately? Just a thought?!

@Kate_mcc wrote:

Because the part under the screen that controls touch is cracked Samsung says it is physical damage. I have the phone in a very shock proof case and have not mistreated it. Plus, it had been overheating. Now I wonder if the overheated battery expanded to crack the membrane that controls touch... Just trying to see if others have had the same problem. 

I would Google for the issue. I take it that the digitizer is broken. Are they denying a free fix? Also check iFixit to replace digitizer just for your research to see if the battery is below the digitizer. I am not familiar with your  phone, but we all know that Samsung has had a lot of battery issues over the years. If the battery did swell....is there a battery door that would pop off first? iPhones do swell too but not a huge issue and not sure if the swelling issue is for OEM batteries or third party replacement batteries.  

Kate_mcc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Because the part under the screen that controls touch is cracked Samsung says it is physical damage. I have the phone in a very shock proof case and have not mistreated it. Plus, it had been overheating. Now I wonder if the overheated battery expanded to crack the membrane that controls touch... Just trying to see if others have had the same problem. 

Check here. 

Reboot, back up, set back to out of box condition, restore, update software, take back to an authorized Samsung Dealer. Looks like there are issues with your model. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

are you using the original/branded charger/cable? or using off brand chargers/cables

would warranty cover the phone as you got it in late october? < 1

maybe remove the case? see what happens?

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

You might want to google your issue. It is possible that your battery is swelling.....it happens. 

Need Help? Let's chat.