cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has everyone received the Amber Alert yesterday night

hzmy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not sure if everyone receives it, although I did.

But I do hear some of my friends who are using PM haven't received it.

The broadcast is for GTA area I believe to be clear.

Also...

RIP...😞

15 REPLIES 15

It is too bad they didn't catch this person faster so someone wouldn't have died.  I do wish they would tweak the sound.

ksoosiah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Same here.

I'm in Toronto and did not receive the Amber Alert. Although, other members of my household who happen to be on other networks, did receive them. 

@RobertQc wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

Robertqc, you can't turn these alerts off.  Despite phones showing an option to turn some mesaages off (including amber alerts), the system ignores these settings.  They can not be opted out of.

@computergeek541Um. Are you sure about this statement "you can't turn these alerts off."? Maybe for someone who uses "menu sliders" lol........Even if you keep emergency alerts "menu slider" on, when you go in with root access and freeze the emergency alerts package or really want to be the boss and dust off your favorite editor you will not get any emergency alerts. Hint. CellBroadcastReceiver

EDIT- I will assume you made a typo,

"Robertqc, you can't turn these alerts off."

"Robertqc, you do know the typical user can't turn these alerts off."

I will give you that.

if somone installs a custom ROM that has modified the original software, or even repograms the software his or herself, anything is possible.

I really simply meant that on most phone's stock software, changing the alert settings won't do anything.

BrianBToronto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an iphone 5 and looked in notifications under settings and do NOT see a Government Alerts/ Amber Alerts that I can toggle on or off.  My list of notifications is long from App Store to WhatsApp but nothing about Government or Amber alerts.  Any ideas on where I need to look for turnign these on because I am concerned?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

Robertqc, you can't turn these alerts off.  Despite phones showing an option to turn some mesaages off (including amber alerts), the system ignores these settings.  They can not be opted out of.

@computergeek541Um. Are you sure about this statement "you can't turn these alerts off."? Maybe for someone who uses "menu sliders" lol........Even if you keep emergency alerts "menu slider" on, when you go in with root access and freeze the emergency alerts package or really want to be the boss and dust off your favorite editor you will not get any emergency alerts. Hint. CellBroadcastReceiver

Sure. But far fewer people will go to that extent with their phones. The vast majority would just use their phones stock.

Edit: typed before I saw your edit.

@computergeek541 wrote:

EDIT- I will assume you made a typo,

"Robertqc, you can't turn these alerts off."

"Robertqc, you do know the typical user can't turn these alerts off."

I never received the alert.  That's the flaw with only having this on LTE networks.  If what have read is true, that would mean that you would not get alerts if you have the LTE network disabled or if for any reason you are connected to the 3g network.  This also means that, in theory, if you are in a phone call when alert is pushed out, you won't receive it either.

I did hear about this alert through radio and through a weather app.

I'm in Brant County, outside the GTA.  I got the alert this morning, after turning off my forced WCDMA settings.  Glad I didn't get during the night as I was sleeping at that point.

However, how location-based was it?  I'm not in the GTA, nor the GTHA.  Nor are all the co-workers who are complaining about the notice last night.  Peel Region isn't all that close to my area.

Murco

So sad.  That poor child.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I am in the GTA.  I got the alerts, one was notification of the incident and another to cancel the alert.  System is working as intended.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc wrote:

@hzmyThe father is in custody, people are saying he killed her but who really knows yet. The police apparently took him down on the highway with a "high-risk" take down.

Doesn't seem right to kill your own daughter

SEEM!!??

@hzmyThe father is in custody, people are saying he killed her but who really knows yet. The police apparently took him down on the highway with a "high-risk" take down.

Doesn't seem right to kill your own daughter

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hzmy wrote:

Wherever you are...not everyone is there. 🙂

I didn't get any alert. I seem to think they can limit the scope of these alerts too but I'm not sure.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@hzmy wrote:

@hzmyit should be location based, so not everyone will get it. Also some will have disabled it in settings.

denis2

did not receive it

Need Help? Let's chat.